Register now!

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

*ATTENTION* Heather Nova - Redbird Contest
HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Here is the Heather Nova Redbird Contest of www.heathernova.net
You can win one of the following prizes:

1. A promo single Heather Nova: "Welcome" SIGNED by Heather Nova
+ a Heather Nova Tour Poster Hanau (rolled)
+ a Heather Nova Tour Poster Braunschweig (folded)

2. A promo single Heather Nova: "Welcome"
+ a Heather Nova Tour Poster Hanau (rolled)

3. A promo single Heather Nova: "Welcome"

4. A promo single Heather Nova: "Welcome"

5. A promo single Heather Nova: "Welcome"

6. to 25.: A promo single Heather Nova: Welcome

So 25 prices to win. We will probably will add even more ! This is your chance to win rare Heather Nova stuff.

How to participate:

Answer the following three questions in this thread:
1. Why do you like Heather Nova
2. Which concert picture of 2005 on heathernova.net do you like most ?
3. What would you change or like to see on heathernova.net to make it your favourite Heather Nova website ?

Rules:
Be honest

How to to win:
Everyone who answers the 3 questions in this thread can win.

The contest ends at Heather's last concert of this year, which means right now the 24th of october!

Good luck !

Posted on: 2005/9/2 22:25

Edited by gerd on 2005/9/2 22:42:02
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/2 22:59:30
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/2 23:18:39
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/3 2:14:43
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/3 15:06:17
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/3 15:07:09
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/3 15:17:42
Edited by Ben on 2005/9/6 11:09:21
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/9 21:19:18
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/9 21:21:46
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/26 22:27:11
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/26 22:28:19
Edited by gerd on 2005/9/26 22:29:06

Re: Heather Nova - Redbird Contest
The Jasmine Flower
Question 3: what should I write here, since I have a Heather Nova website by myself!

HNN would be already my fav Heather website, if I closed heathernova-info.com.

Posted on: 2005/9/2 22:50

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

bernd wrote:
Question 3: what should I write here, since I have a Heather Nova website by myself!

HNN would be already my fav Heather website, if I closed heathernova-info.com.

It's up to you what you write. Well you answered already question 3.

Posted on: 2005/9/2 23:13

Milky Way
From Heather Heaven, Germany
well, someone has to start this....

> 1. Why do you like Heather Nova

a. When she sings my whole nervous system gets a charge. Just the right vibration and tone to drive me into ecstasy. Erotic caress of my eardrums, if you will. (oh "it hurts so good....")

b. She's a woman of just the right size and shape and hair color. Good looking lady. Love gals with green eyes, too.

> 2. Which concert picture of 2005 on heathernova.net do you like most ?

both of these:
2005-08-20-gw-heather05 (love it when she smiles..)
2005-08-20-gw-heather03 (because it's a unique shot)

> 3. What would you change or like to see on heathernova.net to make it your favourite Heather Nova website ?

well, since i'm helping Cynthia with heathernova.us, that will remain in 1st place (because i'm loyal) and other than that, i pretty much like this web site as it is, because if you change something i'll get lost....

Posted on: 2005/9/4 0:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Siren
From England
1. I don't like Heather Nova - I love her.
And I love her because she makes me feel less alone in the world and she makes me feel safe. And her music really calls out to me. She has a voice that can evoke several emotions and make any day better. And when I listen to her cds, I become absorbed into the beautiful worlds they take me too. She's a perfect rolemodel and she's something musically and lyrically that I would love to aspire to. Heather keeps me smiling and keeps me moving and exploring the world and it's people. Her lyrics teach me a lot. And I will always be thankful for her existance.

2. My favourite photo is; 2005-08-27-gw-heather04. She looks so fragile and yet so strong at the same time. This picture defines her as a real woman. Not just a musical figure. She looks so believable. She's someone I'd want to talk to rather than some fake looking pop star.

3. If I could change www.HeatherNova.com, I would probably make it a little brighter. Maybe more red, in the heart of redbird. Just because the blue is nice but red is more passionate and alive - just like Heather's music. :) Other than that, I love this site.

Posted on: 2005/9/4 2:07

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
1. Because she speaks to me. When I first encountered her music, it felt like she wrote in the same style as I did, but a lot better. The way she puts her words down and weaves them with music... it just resonates at a very deep level with me. We have some of the same fears and anxieties. Even though our lives are very different, I just feel so much empathy with her music. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the "you" end and sometime on the "I" end, but her songs feel like my songs.

She is also more skilled than any other artist. Her grasp of songwriting is immense and she has an incredible way with words. Her double entendres convey so much more than what most lyricists put down and she backs it up with passionate performances. I feel like the more I listen to a Heather Nova song, the more I can discover. Heather is my favorite pop/rock songwriter by a wide margin.

2. 2005-08-20-gw-heather01

This picture seems to capture where Heather is right now. I love the blood paint on her arms... it represents the passion and sense of life in all her music. The visibility of her nipples and breasts seems to emphasize her being a mother and a woman, the former very prominent in her work right now but the latter always there.

3. More discussion about Heather Nova's songs. A better gender balance again.

Posted on: 2005/9/4 14:58

Blow
From United States
1.) I like Heather Nova for the wonderful collection of songs she has made for us. Great singing, great lyrics, great music. I find myself getting lost in alot of her songs at times. The songs always change. I guess it depends on my mood or state of mind at the time. I like the fact that her songs are very diverse, always evolving, filled with different emotions...yet at the same time the songs still contain that "Heather Nova sound". I am so glad she is a leader and not a follower...that Heather writes what she wants , and doesn't follow trends just because its the "in thing" at that moment. I must like Heather Nova since I am flying half way around the world just to see her again this October in concert. I wouldn't be doing that if I didn't think she was incredible!

2.) 2005-08-20-gw-heather01
That picture is worth a thousand words so I need no further explanation.

3.) I think its a great website already. If you want to know whats happening with Heather..this is the place to go to. What I liked the most recently was Gerd's updates on her August concerts. Even though I couldn't be there, he made us feel as though we kinda were. I signed on everyday just to see the updates! Since you said be honest...what I like the least is sometimes the threads get off track or repeatitive, but thats no big deal...I just skip over them. Other than that...this is the best site! Keep up the good work.

Posted on: 2005/9/5 2:10

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
4 participants so far and 5 prices. It's your chance !

Posted on: 2005/9/5 19:12

The Jasmine Flower
still seven weeks time to answer

Posted on: 2005/9/5 19:30

Milky Way
From Rüsselsheim / Germany
you are still posting new pics, how can we know which one we like best ?

Posted on: 2005/9/5 19:52

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

fritz wrote:
you are still posting new pics, how can we know which one we like best ?

well yes, that's true. It's not easy. But don't wait till the end of the tour.
I do have permission to take pictures at some concerts in october. Don't know yet when i can post them.

Just tell us, what you like now! This competition is not ment to make statistics/metrics or so. Everyone who gives answers to the questions can win. Well it's still a few weeks to consider

Posted on: 2005/9/5 21:40

The Jasmine Flower
Version 1.0

Question 1: When I first heard her voice on radio, I knew immediately this moment will change my life. Her voice was so brilliant, the song so creative, so different to the music of other bands, it was real quality music with the guitar and cello, it was so warm-hearted. Her music and her voice seem to speak to me, to talk with me: "don't worry, I'm your friend". And yes, her songs are still like good friends to me, even after ten years. And each song is like a little present to me. Even if a particular song ends up not being among my favorite songs, it still feels like a present to me, a present to the fans generally. Her music is like a home to me. In two ways: First, like a house, which makes me safe and strong, since whatever may happen outside, I still have my Heather Nova music CD's inside and even if there is no good music made in the next decades, no worry, I will still listen to Heather Nova till I'm dead and gone. Second, like a homeland, used where to rest, but also like a base. When I listen to her music, I simply feel comfortable and being "at home". It's not forbidden to listen to other bands and artists and enjoy them, too, but that's all during the day, and during the sunset I go back to Heather, where I feel most comfortable. Of course on the next day I can go out again, but her music is like a home where I'm always welcomed and where I can rest and relax and eat and drink and where I can stay how long I want. She is, musically spoken, my "home". Also, in her lyrics I like mostly her references to nature. Of course, that's from her biography. But as far as I know, it's pretty unique in music, too. She really seems to be a nature person, likes enjoying the nature, she is such a great observer when it comes to nature, those lyrics always put a smile on my face. And her lyrics are full of passion. True passion. It's not only about the having, but also about the wanting and giving. As I got a fan in 1995, I thought I'm the only Heather Nova fan in the entire world (maybe except those guys in the Netherlands, who run heathernova.org). I felt so special, to quote her, so "blessed". This intensified those feelings I had even more, like she is singing this not to millions of fans out there, but to the only few so far who are already a fan. I want to thank her for the best song ever written and for courage to allow a cello in her music, played by wonderful Nadia Lanman. And overall, I've met her, I've talked with Heather already, she sent me an e-mail lately. I can really honestly say that she is a very nice and wonderful person, too.

Question 2: 2005-08-20-gw-heather03 it's a very unique picture. I love it! And I like all pics from that gig with the red color on her arms. The first time I saw it, I was shocked. But hey, it does look great, too.

Question 3: Well, I run a Heather Nova website by myself, so I know how it feels to run such a site. I don't think there is much to change here now. I only have a small idea: As I registered here, I got an automatic mail "user activation key for bernd". Maybe this was a bit un-personal. People who register should feel like being welcomed here from the first moment on. Is it maybe possible that people get after registration a short "welcome" mail, also with explanations about this forum itself, who we are, what's the aim of this website, about the possibilities of this website, and not signed with just "Best Regards XOOPS Site, admin @ heathernova.net", but maybe with "Best Regards, Gerd Will, Heather Nova Net". A personal "welcome to the Heather Nova Community, an international fan-based website about the great Bermudian singer Heather Nova bla bla..." instead of an automatic generated mail which doesn't even contain the two words "Heather Nova" (only heathernova.net). And maybe some link on the main page "why to register at HNN?", at least if somebody isn't logged in here yet. We must more convince people to read the website, register here, take part in the discussions. Reading is done by the news and already the lots of content. But why should somebody register here when he/she maybe only wants to read? We need probably more reasons for *registering* here (like this contest, that's a very good idea to make people register here!)

Posted on: 2005/9/5 22:45

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
your answer is too long Bernd

Posted on: 2005/9/5 22:57

The Jasmine Flower
Just wait. Berndbot's answer will be twice as long.

Posted on: 2005/9/5 23:00

Milky Way
From Rüsselsheim / Germany
Gerd, maybe you misunderstood; please continue posting as many photos as you have, they are great.
But it's difficult to describe "why do you like her ?". My wife asked the same question this week "What's so special about her ?". Why do I feel that other music is only music ? Still have to think about how to express that.

Posted on: 2005/9/5 23:20

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
I don't think it's too long, Bernd

And Fritz, just post what you can. Doesn't have to be perfect or profound. Just say what you like about her music or whatever.

Posted on: 2005/9/6 0:52

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

fritz wrote:
Gerd, maybe you misunderstood; please continue posting as many photos as you have, they are great.
But it's difficult to describe "why do you like her ?". My wife asked the same question this week "What's so special about her ?". Why do I feel that other music is only music ? Still have to think about how to express that.

Of course I will post some more pics. It just takes time

Well you can answer the question in german language too and even per PM. Just take it easy

Posted on: 2005/9/7 15:57

Re: *ATTENTION* Heather Nova - Redbird Contest
The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Hmm... I'm liking my odds of winning

Posted on: 2005/9/8 13:56

Heather Frith E.P.
1/ I recognized myself in her music. And eveytime i listen to Heather's music i feel emotions inside me. Happiness, love, anger, sadness whatever It changes all the time...

2/ I love this one: my fav Heather's photo
She looks vunerable and strong at the same time. She's a woman !

3/ A fan section with reviews from the concerts by the fans would be cool

Posted on: 2005/9/10 13:48

Oyster
From Minnesota
1. I suppose it would be a bit saccharine to say that her music has touched me, but it's really the truth. It's strange how she can keep her "Heather Nova feel" and still be able to change styles easily. With "Glow Stars" she haunted me with an understated guitar and a synth. "Oyster" she supernova'd that glowstar and broke something inside me. "Oyster" is definitely a highlight of my life. I remember listening to "Heal" and being in a state of paralysis - the song was so beautiful. It was like yes, she was a singer/songwriter - whatever. She's obviously doing something special but I can't quite put my finger on it. I still haven't. I suppose I could succumb to the incredibly obvious answer that she is just being herself, but really, for me that answer isn't that satisfying. Heather has this tendency in her voice to din like a folk/rock banshee and I've always admired that. The passion that she holds on most of her words is so perfect that it's scary. I only say most because of her recent bouting Redbird... It's nice she is trying to evolve even more, and I happen to like some of Redbird, however I don't think that parts of it were up what I would call the 'Heather Nova Standard' haha. But you know what? That's something I admire even more about her - that she's not afraid to take risks (as subtle as they may be at times), she’s not perfect - nor is she trying to be (she’s just doing what she loves), and quite honestly I very much look forward to her next album. She's a beautiful person inwards and out, and the world is lucky to have her. She's quite the inspiration. (And mind you most importantly that her kid is named Sebastian Nova. That is *the coolest* name ever.)

This is a tough one but I think gw-heather04 (though rudolstadt1_04c is my favourite of them all…) – in gw-heather04 she’s definitely looking at something. I’m not sure what. But I love that sense of mystery she has in that moment of seeming confusion. :P

3. What would you change or like to see on heathernova.net to make it your favourite Heather Nova website ?

But it is my favourite. lol - hmm. I dunno honestly. Maybe if there were screencaps from Heather’s music videos? I have a good handful of her videos, but that doesn’t really mean anything. I mean there’s something weird that I like about seeing a posted gallery of stills from videos, heh. That’s about all I could think about I guess. It’s really far above most every page that I’ve seen on Ms. Nova anyway… Good job lol.

Posted on: 2005/9/12 1:06

Storm
From Schweden
Why do I like Heather Nova?
When I first started listening to Heather, I was chocked! I was so young an inexperienced; I had never known that one could write lyrics like this. She was so vulgar, she used “fuck” in some of her songs (which was strongly forbidden in my old world). She sang about sex, violence, lust and desire. And I loved it. The words she uses, the way she sings, it’s so filled with emotion and dedication I have never even to this day heard of elsewhere. Every song feels so real.
In songs like Island, I’m Alive and Blue Black I can see before me the beaten girl, singing as it is her last hope and means to survive. When I hear the mourning sounds of Island I can almost swear she’s about to start crying at any time. She sounds so vulnerable but still so strong at the same time, a task not so-easily achieved.
And she changed me. It was about 1½ year ago I discovered her through Someone New. Before that I was a complete other person. I didn’t have much self-confidence and my music taste pretty much sucked (with exception of The Corrs and Eskobar ). Now I’m more independent and like a lot more music, and I feel Heather’s helped me a lot of “finding myself”.
And today, her music is as good as ever. Redbird surprised me a lot, the maturity of Motherland, the creativity in I Miss My Sky, and the tropical feeling of A Way To Live.
I think the cover of the single River of Life shows a lot of what I feel: A boat sailing on tropical water, mysteriously drifting, not really knowing where it can take you.

2. http://www.heathernova.net/modules/xo ... 05_08_27_gw_heather06.jpg is my favorite. It's a true concert picture with the lights in the background and Heather holding the guitar gives a more "artistic feeling" to it.

I don't think I can answer to this question exacly. This already is my favorite page. I feel I can post anything I have to say without being restricted by strict moderators or corrections and intolerence. The only thing I sometimes miss is a bit more action in the evenings! Some of you are so silent.

Posted on: 2005/9/12 21:29

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Christina wrote:
The only thing I sometimes miss is a bit more action in the evenings! Some of you are so silent.

OK, I will post more in the future.

Posted on: 2005/9/12 21:36

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

bernd wrote:

OK, I will post more in the future.

nah, not more, just in the evening

Posted on: 2005/9/12 21:42

The Jasmine Flower
ok, I will collect my posts during the day and post them all at once in the evening then.

Posted on: 2005/9/12 21:53

Storm
From Schweden
You really don't have to take everything so litteraly.

Posted on: 2005/9/12 21:59

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
I prefer the live chats on MSN with Christina

Posted on: 2005/9/12 22:14

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

Grey_Archangel wrote:
(And mind you most importantly that her kid is named Sebastian Nova. That is *the coolest* name ever.)

Actually, his name is probably "Sebastian Tod". But even if he takes her family name, he'd still be just "Sebastian Frith". "Nova" is only a stage name.

Posted on: 2005/9/14 3:11

Milky Way
That wouldn't be the luckiest name if he was a german

Posted on: 2005/9/14 20:58

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
"Tod" means "death" in german.

Posted on: 2005/9/14 21:42

Oyster
From Minnesota
I know, I know - but in my mind, he'll always be Nova. Come on. If you had the choice to take the name "nova" wouldn't you? And with the first name Sebastian? It's just too cool not to.

And while I don't know much German, I actually did know that tod meant death. (Only because of the movie Gloomy Sunday - hey another Heather connection ^^;)

Posted on: 2005/9/15 1:15

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Actually, I think Sebastian Frith shoulds best.

But I think "Nova" sounds a bit silly in general, actually. Kinda like "John Cougar".

Posted on: 2005/9/15 13:49

The Jasmine Flower
Nova (disambiguation)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Nova is Latin for "new". The word can also mean:

Science / Education
Nova; an exploding star. The term was chosen because the explosion made the stars visible in the sky, suggesting a new star was born
Nova (experiment); a proposed physics experiment in northern Minnesota, USA.
an alternative school in Seattle, USA
a University in Florida, USA

Geography
Nova, Hungary; a town in county Zala in Hungary
Nova, Ohio; a place in the state of Ohio in the USA
an abbreviation for Northern Virginia, a state in the USA.

Radio / Television
Nova (TV series); a television series in the USA
TV Nova; a successful commercial TV station in the Czech Republic
Nova (radio network); a group of Australian radio stations
Nova (tv); a behind-the-news quality program in the Netherlands

Culture / entertainment
Heather Nova; a singer
Nova (novel); a science fiction novel by Samuel R. Delany
Nova (Metroid); an enemy in the Metroid series video game franchise.
The name of the character of the NES video game Power Blade.
Nova (comics); a Marvel Comics character, briefly a member of the 'Fantastic Four', and later one of 'Galactus's Heralds'
Nova, the mute human female companion of Taylor, in Planet of the Apes

Technology
Nova rocket; in space exploration a designation for heavy lifter rockets larger than the Saturn V
Data General Nova; a series of minicomputers made by Data

General
Several automobiles: see Chevrolet Nova, Vauxhall Nova and Dacia Nova.

Other
Nova (eikaiwa); one of the Big four 'English as a second language' organisations (eikaiwa) in Japan
Nova Scotia salmon

Posted on: 2005/9/15 14:01

The Jasmine Flower
Also from Wikipedia:

Frith is an Old English word often (and usually over-simplistically) translated as "peace". In terms of Anglo-Saxon and post-Anglo-Saxon culture, however, the term has a considerably broader scope and meaning, and merits closer examination. Frith has a great deal to do not only with the state of peace but also with the nature of social relationships conducive to peace.

Moreover, it has strong associations with stability and security. The word friþgeard meaning "asylum, sanctuary" was used for sacrosanct areas. A friþgeard would then be any enclosed area given over to the worship of the gods.

Frith is inextricably related to the state of kinship, which is perhaps the strongest indicator of frith. In this respect, the word can be coterminous with another significant Anglo-Saxon root-word, sib (from which the word 'sibling' is derived) - indeed the two are frequently interchanged. In this context, frith goes further than expressing blood ties, and encompasses all the concomitant benefits and duties which kinship engenders.

Frith is also used in the context of fealty, as an expression of the relationship between a lord and his people.

Frith also has a legal significance: peace was effectively maintained in Anglo-Saxon times by the frith-guild, an early manifestation of summary justice.

Many other words are derived from this root, including frŽodom (freedom); the German word for cemetery, Friedhof (peace-yard); and the Christian name Frederick (peace-ruler).

In Scandinavian, the words fred (no state of war) and frid (no state of disturbance) still mean "peace".

-----

In the novel Watership Down by Richard Adams, rabbits refer to the sun, which they regard as a solar deity, as Frith.

-----

Frith is a Western European druidic augury through which the future can be determined by connection to the divine.

Traditionally, Druidic ceremonies occurred (and still do) all over Europe from Germany to Ireland, from Italy and Spain to the Netherlands. So the root of this word would be best described as European in origin rather than Gallic, Germanic or Latin. In Indo-European culture, the (druidic) priest or intellectual (Brahmin) class is considered the highest class, above warriors, rulers, farmers etc. In this sense, this is the most important and sacred meaning of Frith. These ceremonies now occur throughout the continents of the world wherever druids exist. For example, Mt Warning on the northern New South Wales coast, the first place where the sun hits Australia every morning.'

Posted on: 2005/9/15 14:03

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
About five weeks left for this contest. Take your chance !
Look at the first post of this thread for details!

Posted on: 2005/9/19 1:50

Wonderlust
From Philly
Quote:

gerd wrote:
I prefer the live chats on MSN with Christina

How live are those? j/k!

Posted on: 2005/9/22 13:06

Wonderlust
From Philly

I've been mostly a fan of pop/rock/indie music. Something with a melody and lyrics that somehow capture my attention is what interests me. Heather Nova's combination of all these qualities is what attracts me to her music. I like her because when I found out about her by watching her music video, "Walk This World,", in 1995, she wasn't popular in the US. It seemed like she was like "my best kept secret" even though she already needed a fan base or great music connections just to get the video to the show Alternative Nation (or maybe it was called 120 Minutes by then) on MTV (Music Television) in the United States. I knew she wasn't that popular in the US at that time because her video only aired a few times at most between 11 PM - 6 AM. The music for Walk This World also caught my attention because the music was pop, but had enough of a rock edge to it that I enjoyed the sound of it. The lyrics were somewhat catchy with things like "I want
you to come x 3, walk this world with me," at the end of the song and "fucked with all the lies," and "dig a
hole to climb in" caught my attention the most. As I listen to her more, I always begin to enjoy the lyrics
and her voice progressively overall. I like the entire combination of heather's music, lyrics, and voice,
but I feel that I don't have an appreciation of any of those things as much as I'd like. By talking with
others and continuously listening to the music, this is what helps me appreciate Heather Nova the most.

I do not have a favorite picture because I have never been able to see Heather Nova live. I don't know if I will ever be able to see her live because from what little I've read it seems that she has a personal history in the US. I do understand she is human like all of us, but I hope that one person or a few people are not standing in her way. I hope that the culture of the US does not bother her too much. These are things that I, as one fan, cannot do much about. I can respect her as much as she can respect me, and I can continue to enjoy her music. That is all I can say for now.

Many times, the audio technicians and the music video production crew are possibly credited in the CD booklets at best.

For the music production aspect, I wish the studio pictures from http://www.creation-studios.co.uk/ would be
posted (see picture I posted from this website,) since that is the essence for Heather's music and many others that we may like! For example, from the quote "Our in house engineers have worked with everyone from Mercury Rev to the Wu Tang Clan and have remixed artists like Garbage and Lamb," on the same website, I like Garbage a lot, and some of the remixes came from this studio! In addition, the link itself (http://www.creation-studios.co.uk/) should be up on the links page. It is so
easy for us to enjoy the music, but to forget about the production studio and the producers. I think some
producers may enjoy their role as not being directly in the spotlight. As big fans of Heather Nova though, since there is a website with information on it, I think we need to give more credit to Felix Tod and his crew as well.

Now I begin to wonder about the music video production. If there was information on who made the videos, and maybe even how for each one, that'd really be something. Not that I would expect that, but as a Heather Nova fan on heathernova.net, it is a thought to spark the website even more.

At this rate, I could even add smaller jobs like Heather Nova's janitor and maid if applicable. There's nothing wrong with taking a small job and trying to work your way up. There's also nothing wrong with keeping a small job either. Just being able to appreciate what you are, what you have, and who is around you, that is all we can all ask of each other.

There is also the book, the Sorrowjoy, that Heather Nova wrote. There may be threads with pictures lurking about, but something with a detailed summary, pictures, and maybe a few samples (with Heather's permission) would be great. When thesorroyjoy.com (or maybe it was sorrowjoy.com) existed, there were a few samples posted. I don't remember which poems were sampled, but I think it is a reasonable request to make for this particular website because of the nature of its pure existence.

For additional pictures, maybe there should even be a section for just random Heather Nova pictures until they can be organized, because there might be a lot of Heather Nova pictures out on the web that are not from specific people. It's easy to do a picture search these days. It's understandable that this might not be feasible because one is not able to give the appropriate credit to someone.

I would love to see Heather's lyrics to her albums and b-sides including rarities and covers with every ounce of sound that one can hear in a song. That is a lot to ask for, but I know there are at least a few people who are this dedicated to attempting this great feat. It is already in the works, and the only reason I know that is because I have been fortunate enough to meet one of the people working on the lyrics for this website!

Some pictures of Heather's family would be a great addition to the website if the permission is obtainable.
This would top the cake out of all of my previous suggestions to make the website truly personalized.

Attach file:

jpg  HeatherFelixStudio.jpg (64.19 KB)
112_43329171c4dfb.jpg 320X212 px

Posted on: 2005/9/22 13:11

Blow
From Huddersfield, UK
I find it hard to describe what I like about music which is why I’ve avoided answering this until now but I thought I’d give it a try.

Her voice was the first thing that made me notice her. She has a very powerful but also unique voice that is unlike any other singer I know. It’s not a voice that everyone likes but it’s one that really captures me and makes me listen much more intently to her songs than I otherwise would. The start of island always used to make hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I heard it, while the emotion on songs such as ‘Paper Cup’ always manages to send a stab to my heart. She also doesn’t overuse her voice, there are some singers who make me feel they are just showing off how well they can sing, with Heather she always seems to use her voice in a way that fits the song and feels very natural.

She has lyrics that really speak to me and fit the way I feel about many things. When I listen to many of her songs I feel as though I’m experiencing what is happening in the song rather than just listening to someone sing about it. I don’t find her lyrics as strong as someone like Aimee Mann but they are still very good, especially in her earlier albums.

I also like the way she keeps trying something new with each of her albums. I feel that each of her albums offers a completely different listening experience and while I may not like some of her albums as much as others I much prefer this variety to having 6 albums that all sound the same. I rarely listen to Coldplay’s current album for instance, because even though I feel it’s a good album it just sounds too similar to what they have done before.

2. Which concert picture of 2005 on heathernova.net do you like most?

I must admit that I haven’t looked at the photos here until now. Photos of people don’t interest me that much unless they are of someone I personally know, ones I’ve taken myself or from somewhere I’ve been. Having said that I’d say my favourite is probably http://www.heathernova.net/modules/xo ... 5_08_27_gw_heather05.jpg. I really like the background and the fact that you see more than just her face. I'm not that keen on the really close-up photos, I prefer to see a bit more of the background.

This already is my favourite site so you wouldn’t need to do anything to change that. I don’t see the need to look elsewhere because everything I need is here. So long as the site stays as active and up-to date as it is now I’m more than happy.

Posted on: 2005/9/27 14:01

Oyster

I tend to prefer emotional music, perhaps touching on melancholic (how on earth does one spell that word?), and Heather Nova is just magical in that regard. I have had so many great times floating inside her music just feeling 'good'.

2. Which concert picture of 2005 on heathernova.net do you like most ?http://www.heathernova.net/modules/xo ... /album09/hamburg94_02.jpg

It is my favourite Heather Nova website, but I have not visited as much as before. The BB just seems a bit stale where the HN stuff is to negative in the tone, not meaning that I would prefer only positive views, and the rest of the BB to much an insider club with mile long treads of little interest like what food one eats at this minute.

Need some new blood and new topics.

Other than that I find what HN information I want right here and are greatfull to those working hard to maintain this site.

Posted on: 2005/9/28 18:58

The Jasmine Flower
What's "BB"?

Posted on: 2005/9/28 19:46

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

bernd wrote:
What's "BB"?

Easy: Brigitte Bardot
Well in this case it think it's Bulletin Board.

Posted on: 2005/9/28 21:10

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network