Main Menu
Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

DVD problem
The Jasmine Flower
Damn, I have bought the Tori Amos Video Collection "Fade To Red", and now it doesn't play on my two computers. I checked it both on my current PC and on my older laptop, it doesn't play. Region codes are 2-5, so this shouldn't be a problem for me (West Europe = 2).

The laptop DVD program says: "Since this DVD is copy protected, it cannot be played in the FILE-Modus."

On my PC DVD program, there is no such error message, but the DVD still doesn't start.

What to do? I don't have a DVD player. And I don't find it amusing when it does probably play on a DVD player, but not on the DVD devices in my computers.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 0:52

Re: DVD problem
Siren
From Rotterdam/Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Quote:

Bernd wrote:

The laptop DVD program says: "Since this DVD is copy protected, it cannot be played in the FILE-Modus."

Doesn't it automaticly play in FILE-modus, when played on a computer..?

Posted on: 2007/2/21 1:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Wonderlust
From Aquamarine
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Damn, I have bought the Tori Amos Video Collection "Fade To Red", and now it doesn't play on my two computers. I checked it both on my current PC and on my older laptop, it doesn't play. Region codes are 2-5, so this shouldn't be a problem for me (West Europe = 2).

On my PC DVD program, there is no such error message, but the DVD still doesn't start.

What to do? I don't have a DVD player. And I don't find it amusing when it does probably play on a DVD player, but not on the DVD devices in my computers.

Sorry I can't help you.
Such complicated copy protection,that prevents you from being able to enjoy your dvd when and where you want to,is what drives people to downloading.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 1:21

The Jasmine Flower
Well, every workaround is welcome.

This DVD is mine and I have paid for it and all I want is watching it. Frustrating!

Posted on: 2007/2/21 1:53

Wonderlust
From Philly
Have you tried putting it in a computer several times? I have been in a problem before where it might not read the DVD, but then later somehow work. The only other thing I can think of is try opening the DVD in a different player, or open it manually by browsing to the drive and clicking on the correct file since reading it automatically from DVD is not working out.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 5:52

The Jasmine Flower
I tried both DVD1 and DVD2 in both DVD devices (PC and laptop). But well, I will try again.

It not only doesn't read, I got in my laptop the message about being "copy protected", and therefore not playing, which has surely a reason.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 7:59

Storm
From close to Antwerp
Why not use/try another program to try and play dvd's ?

Posted on: 2007/2/21 10:01

The Jasmine Flower
I already tried two programs on two computers. The first program on the first computer doesn't play it, without error message, the second program on the second computer doesn't play it with the "copy protection" message.

Of course, I could install now a third or fourth program, or check it on a third computer, but that's crazy.

I will probably ask colleagues if they can play it on their computers or their DVD players.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 10:31

Milky Way
From Third stone from the Sun
This may be a dumb question (Im in the US) Are your drives (pc and laptop) both region 2 drives? This could be your problem. DVD players are less than sony discmen around here.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 15:55

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

zepjam wrote:
Are your drives (pc and laptop) both region 2 drives?

How to find out?

I never had any problems watching DVD's so far. But as far as I know, all DVD's I watched were region free, too.

I bought both PC and laptop in Germany, so it would make me really angry in case they don't play DVD's made for region 2 (= Western Europe).

Posted on: 2007/2/21 16:32

Wonderlust
From Aquamarine
Bernd,have you tried using VLC media player?

Posted on: 2007/2/21 18:39

The Jasmine Flower
I downloaded "Drive Region Info" (http://www.remoteselector.com/driveinfo.htm), and the DVD decide in my PC has region code 1 (Bermuda, Canada, United States and U.S. territories).

So it's no surprise it doesn't play 2-5.

Well, I will change it. I know I can change it up to five times, but no need. I just want to watch German DVD's.

Why do they build in my German PC a Bermudian DVD devide?

Posted on: 2007/2/21 18:59

The Jasmine Flower
Ah, after changing the region code from "1" to "2", it plays now on my PC. Still not on my old laptop, which already has region code 2, but who cares. My PC is much more important.

Weirdly, I read everywhere that I can change it up to 5 times. Windows told me I could only change it up to 4 times, now 3 times. Has anyone played with my PC before I bought it?

Posted on: 2007/2/21 19:58

Wonderlust
From Philly
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Ah, after changing the region code from "1" to "2", it plays now on my PC. Still not on my old laptop, which already has region code 2, but who cares. My PC is much more important.

Weirdly, I read everywhere that I can change it up to 5 times. Windows told me I could only change it up to 4 times, now 3 times. Has anyone played with my PC before I bought it?

Possibly, hmm. weird :/

Posted on: 2007/2/21 22:41

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
You should consider to change the firmware of your DVD drive to make it region code free. http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Posted on: 2007/2/21 23:02

The Jasmine Flower
No need for a new firmware. I'm happy now. And my computer is running perfectly otherwise as well.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 23:12

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
You can probably only play this DVD Region Code in the future!

The region code thing is a crazy invention of the american film industry, at a time where DVD drives where expensive.

As a DVD drive costs only 20 Euro, you can have 5 DVD drives, well for each region code. So it does not prevent you anybody from seeing DVD's from other countries anymore. It is just a nasty thing, but there are tools to help around it.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 23:21

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

gerd wrote:
You can probably only play this DVD Region Code in the future!

I can change it three times from now on. After that, I might think about a firmware update, but not now. And there is still my laptop, and in maybe two years I will have to buy a new PC anyway. I might change the firmware one day, but it is not urgent at all.

Posted on: 2007/2/21 23:41

Storm
From Schweden
Quote:

As a DVD drive costs only 20 Euro, you can have 5 DVD drives, well for each region code. So it does not prevent you anybody from seeing DVD's from other countries anymore. It is just a nasty thing, but there are tools to help around it.

Or just buy one region free DVD player.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 3:51

Redbird
From Here (to Eternity...)
Yeah, I agree... it sounds like the only real issue is the "Copy Protection"... which the makers incorporate to make it more difficult to watch/copy. There might be software available to download that can get around it.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 17:43

"The space between the stars, is something that you know... a billion miles of darkness left you feeling low..."

Milky Way
From Third stone from the Sun
Quote:

Bernd wrote:

Cool Bernd, glad it worked for you.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 19:10

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network