Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

(1) 2 »

Coldplay casts chill on EMI profit
Redbird
From Here (to Eternity...)
Coldplay casts chill on EMI profit
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 Posted: 0923 GMT (1723 HKT)

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Britain's EMI Group, the world's third-largest music company, said on Tuesday its full-year profit fell after delays in two key albums from Coldplay and Gorillaz.

The company said it was hopeful the popularity of digital services like Apple's iTunes would return global music sales to positive territory this year, but declined to give specific forecasts.

"We feel confident that growth in digital (music sales) will outstrip any further declines in physical (music)," Chairman Eric Nicoli said in a conference call with reporters. "We expect to achieve market share growth, but we don't know yet what the market will do."

Shares fell 2.1 percent to 236 pence by 0820 GMT.

"EMI talk about a 'still challenging trading environment' but have some quite positive things to say about improvements in operational performance and the potential for digital," Cazenove said in a research note.

EMI, whose artists also include Radiohead and Norah Jones, said pretax profit before goodwill and exceptional items was 141.9 million ($259.5 million) in the year to March 31, against 163.3 million a year earlier.

Turnover declined 8.4 percent to 1.94 billion, with a lower rate of decline in the beleaguered French and German markets, improvement in Japan and Latin America, and a "softened" North America.

At constant currencies, turnover fell 5.1 percent, with EMI Music Publishing turnover up 4.9 percent and EMI Music turnover down 7.4 percent. The numbers were in line with the company's forecasts from earlier this year, when it warned that delays in the Gorillaz and Coldplay albums would push their release dates into the current fiscal year.

Coldplay lead singer Chris Martin caused a stir last week when he expressed a decided lack of concern over the financial impact on his record company.

"I don't really care about EMI. I'm not concerned about that," he told Reuters. "I think shareholders are the greatest evil of this modern world."

Asked about Martin's remarks, Nicoli said: "I think Chris will have had a smile on his face when he said that. Chris is an artist, not a stockbroker."

The music industry is counting on digital music sales to drive new growth, even though they currently only make up a few percentage points of current sales. It is also pursuing a strategy of aggressively going after illicit file-sharers with lawsuits.

EMI's digital music sales grew to 49.7 million from 15.1 million a year earlier.

"We remain confident that digital music will drive the industry forward at attractive growth rates in the coming years and that it will become a significantly larger proportion of our business," the company said.

EMI has tried twice over the past five years to merge with Warner Music, the fourth-largest music company, which completed an initial public offering earlier this month. Many analysts expect the companies to eventually discuss a tie-up in order to compete more effectively with their larger rivals Universal Music and Sony-BMG.

"The fact that Warner is a public company is interesting. We think it's good to have another publicly quoted music company that attracts investor interest to the sector," Nicoli said. "We have no intent of doing any more speculation on the subject of consolidation."

Posted on: 2005/5/24 18:34

"The space between the stars, is something that you know... a billion miles of darkness left you feeling low..."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Coldplay casts chill on EMI profit
Wonderlust
From Trans Europe Express
They'll be alright, Arcade Fire signed a publishing deal with them

Posted on: 2005/5/25 9:14

Redbird
When I first read the article, I thought, good for Coldplay...

The music business is a sticky business...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 9:16

"The space between the stars, is something that you know... a billion miles of darkness left you feeling low..."

Wonderlust
From Trans Europe Express
I'd remove the "t" and "y"...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 9:26

The Jasmine Flower
Why is Coldplay still at EMI then, when he doesn't like that company? Why has Coldplay then signed a contract with them?

As far as I see they have a contract with EMI, but he doesn't care if EMI may be in trouble in the future. Nice. If EMI is in trouble, maybe people lose their jobes, but he does not care at all. Well done.

And about the deadline... I can understand an artist who says he doesn't like deadlines. But as far as I remember he also said in former interviews that he is rich now and the success made him lazy, so it took much, much more than expected. Isn't the money he earned from EMI and the shareholders, too? What would happen to me if I would get lazy and go for example only every third day to work?

He should pay all the money back to EMI, leave that company, make an own record company, be his own boss, and don't complain anymore about the company what made him rich. He is married with a Hollywood actress, I'm sure they don't really need a double income anyway.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 9:54

Redbird
You can't flick a switch and expect an artiste to simply produce...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 10:36

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
You can't flick a switch and expect an artiste to simply produce...

Then he is at the totally wrong record company. He should leave EMI and go indie.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 11:27

Redbird
Music and sport are not particularly good models for business... their aims are not the same. The business world should stop hijacking arts and crafts as a way to make profit...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 11:45

Redbird
Quote:
bernd wrote:
As far as I see they have a contract with EMI, but he doesn't care if EMI may be in trouble in the future. Nice. If EMI is in trouble, maybe people lose their jobes, but he does not care at all. Well done.

And what do *shareholders* care about, other than their return...?

Posted on: 2005/5/25 11:49

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Music and sport are not particularly good models for business... their aims are not the same. The business world should stop hijacking arts and crafts as a way to make profit...

1. As I said, he should create his own label then, and all profit goes to him then, as he is then his own boss, and leave EMI.

2. EMI makes profit with him, but he also made profit with EMI. He is rich, he already said his richness made him lazy. His wife is also doing art (actress) and is rich, too. If they both are doing this *only for art*, then why do they have millions of dollars? If they do it also for making much money, then it is the most normal thing in the world that the people who pay him (the record company most likely paying all those recording sessions, for example) sometimes ask him, what the heck he is doing all the time. Well, of course I don't know the contract between him / Coldplay and EMI. But I really hope he doesn't get paid much for being lazy. If so, I hope he pays EMI something back.

3. Who forced Coldplay to sign at a label, especially at a major label like EMI? For me, it seems that he only saw the $$$ then and maybe the huge potential and support from this major label EMI (big promotion, big tour, ...), that an indie label not has, but once he is lazy and the record company ask him what he is doing all the time, he pisses off the people who pay him.

4. What does he do with all his money? Has he *ever* thought that some of the money he earns there came from shareholders? And not only from his EMI contract, also the interest from his savings at his house bank. Well, if he does not like the system, he is already rich, he should make his own record label and leave EMI. The same for his wife, she should only play in movies then, financed by own money.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 12:45

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Quote:
bernd wrote:

And what do *shareholders* care about, other than their return...?

1. Without the shareholders, he probably won't even *have* this contract, because EMI probably couldn't pay him then.

2. Even if EMI wouldn't have shareholders (not every big company is at the stock exchange), EMI simply does not want to have lazy employees.

3. As being an artist, I see the problem that he cannot produce music like as normal worker. He may have days where he writes a lot of good music, and he may have days where he cannot write at all, depends on the mood and circumstances, and his ideas, of course. But he is already rich, hopefully he doesn't get even paid for being lazy. He isn't a newcomer anymore where it is a good idea to support him even when he has some months without writing good songs, just because you are convinced it is a good artist and maybe successful later.

4. This is all a sign that EMI paid him *too much*, because that is all his cause being lazy (he said himself!). Now he complains about EMI. Well, who is the real capitalist then? He should go indie, do an own label, where he get less money but endless time, or be his own boss. He and his wife have already more money than a normal person earns maybe in a whole lifetime. I mean, surely he punctually gets his monthly paycheck from EMI for his record sales and the support for his next album, but when the record company asks him, if he is doing something for the support, he is pissed off then and complains about deadlines. Ts.

He is only honest if he leaves EMI immediately and will get paid much *less* (!) in the future. A good example how money may change the character.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 13:12

Redbird
Record companies have a habit of dumping their artistes, when they don't "perform" well anyway... Bit like football teams who sack their players when they lose football games... oh, sorry, that's the managers...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 13:55

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Record companies have a habit of dumping their artistes, when they don't "perform" well anyway...

I do have a habit not to buy CDs from bands when their music doesn't sound well in my ears anyway... If I don't like 'em, I don't buy 'em. Scary, uh?

Of course it's a pity when there is a good quality band, but they don't sell their records, so they don't get a new contract. But it is still the people who didn't buy the records then.

Yes, I know, if the good quality band got only little promotion by the record company the people haven't even got a real chance to listen to this band and to decide if they like them or not. But, maybe because of shareholders, the company can spend a bigger budget on promotion then.

Chris Martin should be damn happy that a lot of people like his music, and he gets surely very well paid for that. He should take his money, make an own label, and sign all those artists then who were dumped by other record companies due to bad selling, so that they have a second chance. Or give some money to the shareholders directly, so that EMI can decide more freely and show more patience with artists who sell bad. But I doubt if he cares about other artists at all. He was just lazy and people at EMI got a bit nervous because of that, and he just wanted to be more lazy like "hey, I am an artist, I don't care about deadlines, I want to stay lazy, gladfully I'm rich enough for being lazy, and who cares, where this money came from".

Ts.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 14:33

Redbird
I think the problem is that some artistes struggle to get the recording contract and kickstart their career, then find, later down the line that they're locked into a contact whereby they feel under pressure to make the hit records and so on...

EMI though shouldn't weigh in on their artistes and demand product... this is an example of a dinosaur mentality that Fripp talked about almost 30 years ago... large companies being inflexible.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 14:47

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
I think the problem is that some artistes struggle to get the recording contract and kickstart their career, then find, later down the line that they're locked into a contact whereby they feel under pressure to make the hit records and so on...

yeah, shit happens sometimes in life, and read contracts once or twice before signing them.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
large companies being inflexible.

small companies being flexible, but don't have much money to spend (except when adiitional money comes from outside, and then we have something like shareholders again).

Posted on: 2005/5/25 15:11

Redbird
Robert Fripp's "Small, mobile and intelligent unit".

If ALL artistes did what he did, one would only need a record company to perhaps promote the artiste, but also help to "distribute" the albums...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 15:22

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:

If ALL artistes did what he did, one would only need a record company to perhaps promote the artiste, but also help to "distribute" the albums...

What's this?

Was Fripp already a big star when he did this, or was he still a newcomer then?

Why doesn't Chris Martin do this then, instead of complaining?

Posted on: 2005/5/25 15:26

South
It's unlimited supply
and there is no reason why
I tell you it was all a frame
they only did it cuz of fame
Who? EMI

Too many people had the suss
Too many people support us
An unlimited amount
too many outlets in and out
Who? EMI

And sir and friends were crucified
a day they wished that we had died
We are an addition
we are ruled by none
Never ever never

And you thought that we were faking
that we were all just money-making
you do not believe we're for real
or you would lose your cheap appeal

Don't judge a book just by the cover
Unless you cover just another
And blind acceptance is a sign
of stupid fools who stand in line
like EMI

Unlimited edition
with an unlimited supply
That was the only reason
we all had to say goodbye

Unlimited supply
EMI
there is no reason why
EMI
I tell you if was all a frame
EMI
they only did it cuz of fame
EMI
I do not need the pressure
EMI
I can't stand those useless fools
EMI
unlimited supply
EMI
Hello EMI
Goodbye A & M

Posted on: 2005/5/25 15:32

South
Quote:

Darren wrote:

Posted on: 2005/5/25 15:36

Redbird
Quote:
bernd wrote:
Quote:
Darren wrote:

What's this?

Was Fripp already a big star when he did this, or was he still a newcomer then?

Fripp and Crimson had varying degrees of massive success in 1969 and in 1974, before he disbanded Crimson, as he was sick and tired of having to pander to record companies, fans, the press and media alike.

Brian Eno and David Bowie phoned Fripp up in mid 1976 and asked if he would be prepared to play some guitar for them, on the album that became "Heroes". This started Fripp's association with the music world again, and he went on what was termed an "Anti-rock tour", touring record shops, barbers shops, restaurants and so on, throughout 1979. This was partly in promoting his first solo record, "Exposure".

He argued that in the future, that the music business would become unmanagaeble (PROVEN) as it exists as an exploitative field (PROVEN) for the few untalanted people out there to manage the talented. He said that real music would only really be sustained healthily by smaller, more mobile (i.e. FLEXIBLE) companies.

Quote:
bernd wrote:

Easy... it's easier to complain, than get off your backside, and actually do something about it...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 15:47

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
He argued that in the future, that the music business would become unmanagaeble (PROVEN) as it exists as an exploitative field (PROVEN) for the few untalanted people out there to manage the talented. He said that real music would only really be sustained healthily by smaller, more mobile (i.e. FLEXIBLE) companies.

What is "the real music"? We can talk about quality, but in the end it will be just about different tastes.

And as I said above, the smaller a company is, the less money may be there for doing promotion, too, or they can only sign very less people.

But when you are saying it is better to have a lot of smaller music companies instead of having a few big music companies, because small is beautiful, more flexible, and also the consumer (the music fan like you and me) has more choice then to select what he/she really wants, since more companies hopefully means more variety, and not only the same top 40 chart hits again and again, you must really be a supporter of privatization in general then (mostly a few smaller private companies instead of one or two big companies), too. As far as I know, here you are not a supporter of such an idea.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Quote:
bernd wrote:

Easy... it's easier to complain, than get off your backside, and actually do something about it...

Exactly... that's the reason why I disliked so much his comment about shareholders. Instead of leaving EMI as fast as possible and do a thing of his own, he does nothing but complaining.

Btw, I don't see the biggest problem in the big music companies. I'm more angry about the radio and tv stations who always play the same. No-one really wants to experimentate with other styles, except maybe local stations, and it seems that the number of people who are really interested in "good music", instead of the music in the charts, is pretty low. So those people get what they want from the music companies: chart music.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 18:40

Redbird
Quote:
bernd wrote:
What is "the real music"? We can talk about quality, but in the end it will be just about different tastes.

Real simple what "real music" is... listen with your ears to music, played with "real" instruments, as opposed to a lot of pop music, some being generated by computers...

Frank Zappa once said, he felt that a lot of modern artistes would be amazed and shocked if they heard "real" musical instruments being played, as so much of today's "music" doesn't have any....

Music is being increasingly dictated by money.

Quote:
bernd wrote:
And as I said above, the smaller a company is, the less money may be there for doing promotion, too, or they can only sign very less people.

Point missed. The point being that a smaller company is more flexible in terms of how it operates... less people trying to dictate to others... more people doing.

Quote:
bernd wrote:
But when you are saying it is better to have a lot of smaller music companies instead of having a few big music companies, because small is beautiful, more flexible, and also the consumer (the music fan like you and me) has more choice then to select what he/she really wants, since more companies hopefully means more variety, and not only the same top 40 chart hits again and again, you must really be a supporter of privatization in general then (mostly a few smaller private companies instead of one or two big companies), too. As far as I know, here you are not a supporter of such an idea.

Well "small *private* companies", yes. But "privatisation" per se means selling a company to peform well so that it's value increases in terms of a share price, thereby giving the "investors" value for their money.

"Investors" are ONLY interested in their return... not generally in what the company offers.

A private company is interested in making profit... A music company SHOULD be interested in generating new music and promoting it's already existing catalogue of music

Quote:
bernd wrote:
Btw, I don't see the biggest problem in the big music companies. I'm more angry about the radio and tv stations who always play the same. No-one really wants to experimentate with other styles, except maybe local stations, and it seems that the number of people who are really interested in "good music", instead of the music in the charts, is pretty low. So those people get what they want from the music companies: chart music.

Who dictates what "popular" radio stations and televion in general plays?

Whatever is popular with the public and sells money...

Do you really think that the vast majority of people are actually interested in music that is trying to say something special, such as in politics or sexuality...

Or even more, do you really think people like being challenged, like their ears being challenged... People want an easy life, simple as that... and music that is NICE and easygoing is generally what people enjoy...

Have you ever heard Fred Frith, Robert Fripp, Tool, Hans Reichel, Diamanda Galas, Dagmar Krause or Annette Peacock on radio?

Posted on: 2005/5/25 19:13

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Real simple what "real music" is... listen with your ears to music, played with "real" instruments, as opposed to a lot of pop music, some being generated by computers...

I have *absolutely no problem* with "electronic music". I can enjoy some of them. I want to be open to a lot of music, so why not to electronic music, too. I may have a well-known problem with male singers, but I know that's just my personal taste, not others. The voice is an instrument, piano and guitars of course, why not synthesizer or computer generated music, too? I don't see why to stick on "real" instruments for always and ever and to condemn electronic music. On contrast, electronic music shows its power most when it comes to rhythms, and loops. Especially the rhythm, for me. Maybe I have a sense for that, because I studied math, and I like things being in order or controlled disorder and such, and if I see a system in it, or not, and to hear one "system" and later another "system" and how the first system slightly changes into the second one. It is kind of a bunch of pictures that fade in and fade out. Such music may not have lyrics at all, but its impact comes from rhythm, and its generated, exactly measured pauses between similar sounds. This can be true art. As a very small example, the sounds in Not Only Human, the heartbeat, like a cardiogram. In my opinion, it fits very well and I really like this. I noticed that I watch more MTV shows with electronic music than before. I can really relax to that, and it is often fun, although I don't own any CDs from those artists, because it fits often only in this very moment and this cannot be easily repeated. But I'm very glad such music exists.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Frank Zappa once said, he felt that a lot of modern artistes would be amazed and shocked if they heard "real" musical instruments being played, as so much of today's "music" doesn't have any....

So, he *felt* like people *would*...

Today at 7am I also felt like I would not like it to go out of bed very soon, and surprisingly I was right!

And maybe Beethoven *would* have been happy if there would have been electronic music in the 18th century already, too.

In my opinion, computer generated music can be of the very same value as "a man playing a real guitar", "a woman playing a real piano".

I like music, where I get surprised. Where I see talent, where I feel like someone is experimentating. I don't think former decade had "better" music. There was crap in every decade, I dislike pretty much the music of the complete 60's and 70's, for example. Of course, be sure, I dislike a lot of music from this year 2005, too.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Music is being increasingly dictated by money.

Both sides, as always. Musicians want to have a "good" contract, too. But if Chris Martin does not want any of this money that EMI gives him anymore, because he hates the investors of EMI, and if he does this only for art, he can also sit in the pedestrian zone on a bench and play before a bunch of pedestrians and be happy.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Quote:
bernd wrote:

Point missed. The point being that a smaller company is more flexible in terms of how it operates... less people trying to dictate to others... more people doing.

Sounds like fun, especially with having almost no money.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Well "small *private* companies", yes. But "privatisation" per se means selling a company to peform well so that it's value increases in terms of a share price, thereby giving the "investors" value for their money.

Why share holder? Why investors? When I call the plumber, he works also probably as his own boss with five employees, and he wants to make profit (he is doing that for living). And he is not at the stock exchange.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
"Investors" are ONLY interested in their return... not generally in what the company offers.

When you sell something on ebay, do you ask the buyer about his work and where is his money from?

Quote:

Darren wrote:
A private company is interested in making profit... A music company SHOULD be interested in generating new music and promoting it's already existing catalogue of music

Well, if they don't sell, they don't make profit, let it be "good" or "bad" music.

Quote:
bernd wrote:
and music that is NICE and easygoing is generally what people enjoy...

Well, "nice and easygoing music" does not need per se be "bad" music, too. Because I see it is not necessarily "bad" music, it is just not my personal taste. And I don't want to laugh about people who just have another taste.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Have you ever heard Fred Frith, Robert Fripp, Tool, Hans Reichel, Diamanda Galas, Dagmar Krause or Annette Peacock on radio?

About the male people, I don't know, as you know I'm no expert in these and I always forgot five minutes later what I have heard. About the women: yes, Diamanda Galas, a few times. Some years ago, and I didn't like it at all.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 21:20

Redbird
Quote:
bernd wrote:
Quote:
Darren wrote:

So, he *felt* like people *would*...

Today at 7am I also felt like I would not like it to go out of bed very soon, and surprisingly I was right!

But you did, because you had to...

Zappa was right. He trusted in his feeling and intuition...

Music is becoming increasingly a visual spectacle, with music videos and dance groups...

Quote:
bernd wrote:
Quote:
Darren wrote:

When you sell something on ebay, do you ask the buyer about his work and where is his money from?

This is rather limited isn't it... you obviously don't know me at all... when I sell OR BUY something on eBay from a seller, I am as friendly and as communicative with the person as THEY wish to be... that's called "consideration"... how many business people do you know who genuinely do that?

I have close relationships with a few people DIRECTLY as a result of simply eBay auctions...

Not only that dear chap, HOW MANY eBay buyers OR sellers DO YOU PERSONALLY KNOW, who ASK what name they would like to be referred to in the feedback, given I personally mention their names, if they so choose... from personal experience, "buyers" AND "sellers" give feedback, but rarely use the persons name.

Quote:
bernd wrote:
Quote:
Darren wrote:

About the male people, I don't know, as you know I'm no expert in these and I always forgot five minutes later what I have heard. About the women: yes, Diamanda Galas, a few times. Some years ago, and I didn't like it at all.

So, if you worked for a BIG record company would you want to promote it?

Posted on: 2005/5/25 21:51

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:

Even if, so what? It's a pity that he was such narrow-minded then. Let other people being amazed or shocked, why does he care? Why does he judge that?

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Music is becoming increasingly a visual spectacle, with music videos and dance groups...

Well, true, but already The Beatles were famous for their looks (especially hair) and music is commercially since 50 years (maybe with some exceptions)...

I can't stand dance groups, too. But music videos can be true art, too.

Quote:
Darren wrote:
This is rather limited isn't it... you obviously don't know me at all... when I sell OR BUY something on eBay from a seller, I am as friendly and as communicative with the person as THEY wish to be... that's called "consideration"... how many business people do you know who genuinely do that?

I have close relationships with a few people DIRECTLY as a result of simply eBay auctions...

Not only that dear chap, HOW MANY eBay buyers OR sellers DO YOU PERSONALLY KNOW, who ASK what name they would like to be referred to in the feedback, given I personally mention their names, if they so choose... from personal experience, "buyers" AND "sellers" give feedback, but rarely use the persons name.

Really impressive.

What are business people talking about when always playing gulf together?

Quote:
Darren wrote:

So, if you worked for a BIG record company would you want to promote it?

Diamanda Galas? Big or small, sure. It's not crap. It's just not my personal taste. It surely was creative, so it was quality, too. Well, if I would work (just as an example) for Kylie Minogue's record company and it would be my job to promote her, I would try to promote her as much as possible, too, since I'm not a fan, but her music doesn't "hurt" me, too, and what would be wrong even listening to this. I only wouldn't want to promote really *poor* artists, or for example rap music, because I have absolutely no clue what this is about, and I cannot even listen five seconds to it, or because of personal issues. For example, after what Chris Martin said in this article, I wouldn't want to promote him anymore, because I really start to dislike him now.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 22:24

Redbird
Quote:
bernd wrote:
Quote:
Darren wrote:

Even if, so what? It's a pity that he was such narrow-minded then. Let other people being amazed or shocked, why does he care? Why does he judge that?

How many of today's pop stars and singers or even musicians for that matter went to a library and taught themselves how to READ music as well as play various musical instruments... also how many pop stars, singers and musicians are in tune with the social and poltical atmospheres of the environs they play in... also, how many pop stars, singers and musicians would go out of there way today to introduce "voter-registration" in the places they played live...

Zappa did all this, so to call him narrow-minded demonstrates you don't know a thing about him.

Quote:
bernd wrote:
What are business people talking about when always playing gulf together?

Because they're boring bastards?

Assuming you mean "Golf" I can only think they like to get out into the fresh air... other than that, they rarely play when it's *raining* do they... "Golf" is one of those games that people who like to think they're someone, play.

Quote:
bernd wrote:
Diamanda Galas? Big or small, sure. It's not crap. It's just not my personal taste. It surely was creative, so it was quality, too. Well, if I would work (just as an example) for Kylie Minogue's record company and it would be my job to promote her, I would try to promote her as much as possible, too, since I'm not a fan, but her music doesn't "hurt" me, too, and what would be wrong even listening to this.

I would only promote that which I personally found value in, so Ms. Minogue wouldn't even get through the door.

Quote:
bernd wrote:
I only wouldn't want to promote really *poor* artists, or for example rap music, because I have absolutely no clue what this is about, and I cannot even listen five seconds to it, or because of personal issues. For example, after what Chris Martin said in this article, I wouldn't want to promote him anymore, because I really start to dislike him now.

Given Chris Martin is not afraid to say things near and dear to him, and speaks from personal experience of his distaste of the music industry, I would have him on my books.

Posted on: 2005/5/25 22:44

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Zappa did all this, so to call him narrow-minded demonstrates you don't know a thing about him.

Sorry. I just see, you quoted him and I interpreted his words a bit wrongly. I apologize. I thought he had also said something like music with "real" instruments is more worth than modern music, and I meant this with "narrow-minded", but I just see he didn't say this.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Assuming you mean "Golf"

Ah yes. The sports golf, and the Gulf from Mexico, that's the same word in German.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
I would only promote that which I personally found value in, so Ms. Minogue wouldn't even get through the door.

Pity, because why not. Because I think my personal taste is just my own personal taste, and I'm glad not everyone has the same taste and I try to respect other's tastes as much as possible.

Well, I couldn't support Britney Spears. That's really poor.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Given Chris Martin is not afraid to say things near and dear to him, and speaks from personal experience of his distaste of the music industry, I would have him on my books.

When you want to run out of money and risk to get broke like EMI, then I wish you good luck with him...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 23:16

Redbird
Quote:
bernd wrote:
Quote:
Darren wrote:

Pity, because why not. Because I think my personal taste is just my own personal taste, and I'm glad not everyone has the same taste and I try to respect other's tastes as much as possible.

As I said, I would only promote that which I personally valued... why do you think I write about the artistes I value... and almost never mention the likes of Ms. Minogue?

Quote:
bernd wrote:
Well, I couldn't support Britney Spears. That's really poor.

Same bag of bananas in my view... only constantly recycled hash of "boy meets girl/girl meets boy" soapy love songs. Some artistes get criticised for never improving on their music and songwriting abilities, and some make a career out it.

Quote:
bernd wrote:
Quote:
Darren wrote:

When you want to run out of money and risk to get broke like EMI, then I wish you good luck with him...

I have run out of money many times, once when I ran a newsletter dedicated to Fripp and Crimson. Fortunately, having a job provided some backdrop. If EMI break and go bust, it'll be further proof that big inflexible organisations don't function very well... alas there are plenty of other out there...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 23:30

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
I have run out of money many times, once when I ran a newsletter dedicated to Fripp and Crimson. Fortunately, having a job provided some backdrop. If EMI break and go bust, it'll be further proof that big inflexible organisations don't function very well... alas there are plenty of other out there...

No, that's no proof. Or were you inflexible, too, as you run your job with the newsletter? Can't flexible organizations run out of money, too?

Posted on: 2005/5/25 23:48

Redbird
Quote:
bernd wrote:
No, that's no proof. Or were you inflexible, too, as you run your job with the newsletter? Can't flexible organizations run out of money, too?

I wasn't running my newsletter for profit, I was running it, as I wanted to.

Flexible organisations, by definition, can adapt to changing conditions.

It follows, if you think about it, that the BIGGER an organisation is, the MORE people are employed, therefore, the MORE people's lives and livelihoods are intertwined with that of the company... so if a company struggles, it has a corresponding effect on the people within...

Posted on: 2005/5/25 23:59

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Quote:
bernd wrote:

I wasn't running my newsletter for profit, I was running it, as I wanted to.

Flexible organisations, by definition, can adapt to changing conditions.

But you still have run out of money. This has nothing to do if you are wanting to make profit. Maybe you just run out of money because of that reason.

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:02

Redbird
Huh?

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:03

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
It follows, if you think about it, that the BIGGER an organisation is, the MORE people are employed, therefore, the MORE people's lives and livelihoods are intertwined with that of the company... so if a company struggles, it has a corresponding effect on the people within...

But the more likely they have "investers" then, and not run out of money so easily... Or other companies are more interested to buy this organisation, the bigger it is, the more.

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:07

The Jasmine Flower
yeah, maybe you should have tried to make at least *a very little* profit, not to get rich, but maybe your newsletter would still exist now.

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:09

Redbird
Quote:
bernd wrote:
Quote:
Darren wrote:

But the more likely they have "investers" then, and not run out of money so easily... Or other companies are more interested to buy this organisation, the bigger it is, the more.

The only interest lies in the fact the company can increase and make profit... what has this to do with music?

I doubt shareholders in any music company know and are familiar with that companies comings and goings on a day-to-day basis...

"Investors" like "personal savers" only have an interest in their money building...

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:12

Redbird
Quote:
bernd wrote:
yeah, maybe you should have tried to make at least *a very little* profit, not to get rich, but maybe your newsletter would still exist now.

I enjoyed the newsletter, but I also had a change of jobs and work location, so it was difficult... also I am not interested in being rich... If you knew me at all, you would know that had I riches I would make sure my family and friends benefitted.

Why this urge to make monetary profit out of everything?

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:14

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
The only interest lies in the fact the company can increase and make profit... what has this to do with music?

Why should be music business being different than another business?

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:17

Redbird
Why shouldn't it be?

Music concerns itself with the subtleties of vibrations of a sometimes unknown quality of existence, the spiritual if you life... a musician brings music to the listener by way of performance and playing...

The only reason to have a record company is to have a facility to distribute the music, and promote the music/musicians existence.

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:21

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Quote:
bernd wrote:

I enjoyed the newsletter, but I also had a change of jobs and work location, so it was difficult... also I am not interested in being rich... If you knew me at all, you would know that had I riches I would make sure my family and friends benefitted.

Why this urge to make monetary profit out of everything?

I answered all this in what you quoted

Maybe you should have tried to make at least a very little profit, not to get rich, that means: just "enough" to pay all newsletter costs and run your newsletter a little longer. The urge in this case is, that the people who subscribed your newsletter surely enjoyed it and wanted to read it maybe still in the year 2005, and not only a few months. As you broke, you maybe sent all your subscribers a mail with "I'm so sorry, I broke and therefore this is the last newsletter", so the subscribers weren't happy. Maybe you should have earned a little bit more, but the newsletter would probably still in service then, to the benefit to you and especially your subscribers.

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:30

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
Why shouldn't it be?

Nah, that's no answer. Because when you say music should be treated different, surely books, movies, art in general, too. Where to stop, where to begin? How to do this? Laws? And you may not like Britney Spears, but this is "music", too... but also, there are books what are literature, there are books what just contain math formulas. Also, you can buy music CDs with the singing of birds.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
Music concerns itself with the subtleties of vibrations of a sometimes unknown quality of existence, the spiritual if you life... a musician brings music to the listener by way of performance and playing...

You can still take a guitar and go to the streets and play before the pedestrians for free. I like those musicians. But they don't have a big audience, just those few people.

Quote:

Darren wrote:
The only reason to have a record company is to have a facility to distribute the music, and promote the music/musicians existence.

... and (hopefully) not pay Chris Martin for being lazy. This money is better spent for artists who are not lazy.

Posted on: 2005/5/26 0:45

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network