Posted on: 2021/5/21 21:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Heather Nova launches patreon page
The Jasmine Flower
OMG

Thank for letting us know!!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPJTIF3hySH/

Posted on: 2021/5/21 21:50

"I don't even know why do you think I'm a mess" (The Muffs - Sad Tomorrow)
"I'm sorry for the mess, you see my mind is somewhere else" (P.S. Eliot - Troubled Medium)
"Prettiest mess you've ever seen" (PJ Harvey - Angelene)

The Jasmine Flower
Today feels like heaven.
Fantasic information, music and videos inside.
Finally!

Posted on: 2021/5/21 22:02

"I'm sorry for the mess, you see my mind is somewhere else" (P.S. Eliot - Troubled Medium)

Glow Stars
Already there's an unheard song from 1990, a new cover, and a 30 minute concert video, interesting!

Is the new album going to be all covers or is there a covers album and another new original album?

Posted on: 2021/5/21 23:13

The Jasmine Flower
Sssshhhh! The last info is in the hidden part of the patreon site!

Actually, I don't know. New info also to me.

Posted on: 2021/5/21 23:16

Glow Stars
I am just whetting people's appetites! (I didn't think I posted any spoilers? You an see titles of hidden posts if you're not a patreon yet.)

Lyrics for Dream Of Me incoming, but of course if you want to hear the song, Patreon!

Posted on: 2021/5/21 23:18

The Jasmine Flower
"New album" is no spoiler.
The concept behind the new album is a spoiler!

Posted on: 2021/5/21 23:21

Glow Stars
Oh, well, did she say it was a surprise?? I didn't think I said anything that was a secret?

Posted on: 2021/5/21 23:28

The Jasmine Flower
I think there is a problem that some news are before the paywall and some news are only behind it. As far as I see, she announced a new album before the paywall, but all other information about it is behind the paywall. We are a discussion forum. I see it is difficult to openly discuss only news that are visible to all. Sooner or later everyone will know anyway.

Posted on: 2021/5/21 23:45

Glow Stars
I won't reveal what songs she plays on the first minigig, but, she plays songs from:

Oyster
Siren
Siren B-Side (!!!!)
Storm
Jasmine Fower
Pearl x2
A Classic Cover

Posted on: 2021/5/22 0:43

Wonderlust
Never heard of Patreon before, whatís that Ė another platform run by Mr. F**kbook Zuckerberg or whom else?

Posted on: 2021/5/22 13:57

Blow
no.

"Patreon (/ˈpeɪtriɒn/, /-ən/) is an American membership platform that provides business tools for content creators to run a subscription service. It helps creators and artists earn a monthly income by providing rewards and perks to their subscribers. Patreon charges a commission of 5 to 12 percent of creators' monthly income, in addition to payment processing fees.
The company, started by musician Jack Conte and developer Sam Yam[4][5] in 2013, is based in San Francisco"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patreon

Posted on: 2021/5/22 14:31

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Hope Heather will play a couple of the "new" songs on her upcoming tour.

Posted on: 2021/5/22 17:21

The Jasmine Flower
Actually, it was my idea!

Forumpost 146403

Posted on: 2021/5/22 18:18

Glow Stars
All my other patreons have been visual artists and one writer, though I'm aware of Amanda Palmer's success with the platform.

I don't think Patreon is owned by any conglomerate yet? They've been around for a number of years now!

Posted on: 2021/5/23 3:17

Wonderlust
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Actually, it was my idea!

Forumpost 146403

Ah, now I remember you mentioned Patreon back then! (It was the first and last time I have ever read about it, so I didnít keep it in mind.)

Well, I totally understand and respect, that Heather needs a way to earn money, especially in these times and now obviously uses this Patreon platform for that.

I just really wonder, why she is speaking about "creating this online member community, a place of genuine connection and exchange between myself and my most loyal supporters" and that she misses the interaction with people and "wants to make this a very special place, in which you feel appreciated and rewarded, and where we can all connect".
I have always thought that this forum here is the place for that!? She could have connected with us here for ages, if she had really wanted to, especially since the moment, as it has become her official forum. She could have asked us about feedback, wishes for setlists, etc... (I guess, then more than 4 or 5 left longtime members would post here regularly...)

So again, I fully respect her approach of earning her living this way (although it means I Ė without a cc - am then out by that) and it is definitely not meant as a "mean attack" against Heather, but itís just something I have been wondering about, actually not only since yesterday, but for years and since her words on this Patreon page even more.

Posted on: 2021/5/23 13:31

The Jasmine Flower
It is also possible to pay the fees to Patreon via PayPal, and I don't think you need a credit card for PayPal.

Posted on: 2021/5/23 14:21

Glow Stars
For what it's worth, I know artists who've created patreons and found them to be safe spaces where they can share and communicate in ways that they weren't comfortable doing so on other platforms. I think a patreon where only your fans see stuff and where you have full control is just very different from even an "official" message board that's still mostly focused on fans. Some even have made Patreon-locked Discord servers/channels which I've found pretty nice and good for communication.

I liked this message board as a place where we talked to each other as fans and I think that's different and unique in its own regard. Both spaces existing seems healthy.

Posted on: 2021/5/24 6:08

Wonderlust
Quote:

Cass-- wrote:
For what it's worth, I know artists who've created patreons and found them to be safe spaces where they can share and communicate in ways that they weren't comfortable doing so on other platforms...

Heather canít ask us things like set list wishes, feedback, etcÖ, because itís not a "safe space" here? Sorry, I donít get that. Itís not something top secret or very private Iím expecting her to share with us in this forum.

I respect your opinion, of course, but donít share it. For me, thatís not about connecting, but excluding.
But nevermind, wish you a great time there!

Posted on: 2021/5/24 9:41

The Jasmine Flower
I can understand Cass here. And it doesn't make much sense, for example, to collect set list wishes for the mini-gigs here, and the mini-gigs itself are for Patreon members only then. Or to collect questions here and answer them in Patreon. I can also see she wants a safe space where she decides anything and has full control over. So for example when someone is aggressive or trolling, she can throw him/her out.

On the other side, as people pay for it, she has to do something that people stay. So she has to do mini-gigs and share songs and photos and such.

This forum here has only a few active members left. In Patreon, there are already 67 patrons, having registered in the last days. Amanda Palmer has 13.150 patrons right now, by the way.

I can see the "excluding" argument, but for a concert you also have to buy a ticket, and you have to pay for an album as well. As I said, I don't think you need a credit card for Patreon. Paypal is also possible. Also I think there are risk-free credit cards on a prepaid basis. Of course they might cost a yearly fee then.

Posted on: 2021/5/24 12:05

The Jasmine Flower
Per month:

3.50 GBP + VAT (4.50 Euros + VAT)
* monthly home mini-gigs

8.50 GBP + VAT (10.50 Euros + VAT)
* monthly home mini-gigs
* Be the first to hear new music, as well as news on releases, projects, tours etc
* Behind-the-scenes photos and videos of whatever I'm working on
* Monthly Q and A video
* Patron-only polls - give your feedback and vote on set lists, artwork etc!
* Commission hand written lyric sheets and paintings
* Bootlegs, unreleased demos, and Concert recordings from the archive
* unreleased photos - recent and from the vault
* Exclusive Lens Access

Posted on: 2021/5/24 12:07

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
I think Patreon is an easy and legaly safe place for artists of any kind to connect to people or fans and to get some money in, without having a shop-like selling. It also keeps items presented private to a specific audience. OnlyFans is another example for this. And the artist has the total control who has access. Artists often provides a lot of different levels with even direct connection via social media, which might be for sure nice ... but ..
I think it can devide fans in people with a lot money, some money or no money. And for fans with no money it is sad to not get access to news or rarities. I know at least a couple of people with no money.

Heather started with two monthly levels, one for "just" the monthly concert, the other one for monthly news and rarities and the concert. Maybe news and rarities should be somehow free and the concerts just for the higher level? Anyway Heather has to find out what fits best. And for all levels, the suggested monthly donation is just the lower limit. You can of course donate more. So why not having a low entry for maybe 0$ or 1$ and asking fans to pay more if they can. I think she Heather has still a lot fans who can afford more.

And there is also an option for artists to sell individual postings.

Maybe Heather should also invite individual people with no money for free. I think she is aware of, who they are.

I understand that heathernova.net is not professional enough, not matching legal requirements and whatever is needed.

Posted on: 2021/5/24 20:21

Glow Stars
It's also okay not to like Patreon. I just was pointing out what I've seen on other Patreons I'm on, which admittedly are lower priced and run by less famous people, mostly visual artists. I actually find the interface a little difficult to follow and don't like always having to log in for whatever reason. And it's not the best interface for browsing through the archive.

But it was really nice to hear an unreleased old song and a little home concert. Looks like she's going to try another Siren B-side next month that I am not sure I've ever heard her play even on a concert recording!

There's actually an unreleased concert that this might be a good place to release it, back from the Intimate Evening tour with Fiona Pears and Ian Tilley. The arrangements from that tour weree unique. I think it was also the first ever Sugar acoustic?

Posted on: 2021/5/28 3:50

Siren
From the ocean🌊🌊🌊
I am a patreon now too. I want to support Heather, as I am a big big fan since the year 2000. :)

I liked the first mini-gig very much, I've listened to it yesterday. So pure, Heather put so many feelings into her voice, as always and I am really impressed about that.

I've got a question to you:

"How can I reach the mini-gigs 'live'?" Will there be announcement from Heather?

Posted on: 2021/5/28 10:57

https://www.myownmusic.de/slipintodeepwater

Glow Stars
I don't remember reading anything about that so I guess we'll find out!

I will note for online concerts during the pandemic, some artists charged a certain amount but let people who couldn't afford it get in if they asked and asked some people who could afford it to pay more, others had a system where you could pay for someone else to get in, like a stranger. But that was, of course, in the middle of the pandemic and early on too and that's not patreon, but figured I'd share that as there was mention of that.

Posted on: 2021/5/29 1:22

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Funnily, the setlist, the project behind the new album, the setlist of the show is hidden, though I find Heather is too vague about the content.

I didn't subscribe on Patron. I almost did when Cass posted the topic about the new song lyrics. I would probably have, if the setlist was written down I contained a "rare" song.

But for now, I am telling myself that seeing another Heart And Shoulder / Walk This World / Ride / Storm solo acoustic set, i-e songs I have either heard live IRL or heard recorded by a sound engineer, well, no. In this case, I prefer wait for the shows in Autumn.

But if I had read the setlist and found one or two songs more rare I really like, I would have probably Patreoned Heather.

Of course, there's Dream Of You. I almost Patreoned to hear this song. But :
- 10 euros is quite expensive for a mp3 song
- I reminded myself that I seldomly listen to the music I haven't on CDs.

If Heather sells kind of "rarities and more" CDs on her upcoming show, I'll buy it, undoubtedly.

I wish that there will be a new kickstarter for the upcoming album. On TWIF one, I had been tempted by the 500 euros "cover of your choice" item. I had been disappointed by the high increase of the price on Pearl kickstarter, but I would probably have asked Heather to cover one of my song. Well, this was impossible by then, considering rights matters, for the songs weren't out at that time. Now, they are.

Posted on: 2021/5/31 23:18

Milky Way
I pretty much agree with everything you just said Estellem.

Posted on: 2021/6/1 0:02

Glow Stars
She played Grow Young and Like a Hurricane and it looks like she'll play Nothing on the next one. Not sure if Not Only Human counts as rare.

Posted on: 2021/6/4 6:47

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Nothing (i mean : the song called Nothing ) is exciting. I doubt she ever played it live.
I heard twice Heather playing Not Only Human IRL, and on some bootlegs of course, but always with a band. So,hearing it played all by herself is quite new.

Grow Young and Like A Hurricane are always played acoustic (even on the CD version), so I don't regret not Patreoning this month.

Posted on: 2021/6/5 14:39

Glow Stars
To be clear there's an Ear To The Ground vs Nothing poll, but Nothing was winning last i looked. I voted for it cause I've never heard a live version.

The unheard demo from 1990 plus the at home concert made out worth it to me, fwiw. I think you can get the concerts at the lower level, though?

Posted on: 2021/6/6 6:02

HNN Forums Admin
From France
I also think that the demo from 1990 was the highlight of the Patron thing.

Well, maybe next month (if Nothing wins).

Posted on: 2021/6/7 23:45

Glow Stars
I did link to your tabs for Nothing in a comment since Heather mentioned hoping she'd remember the chords!

Posted on: 2021/6/8 19:30

HNN Forums Admin
From France
You did well.

Posted on: 2021/6/9 18:24

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
I'm only notified by Patreon if Heather replies to my postings although my settings include "When HEATHER NOVA posts any other content".
It's worth so to unfold all of Heather's comments. When I browse through Patreon usually comments are collapsed.

Posted on: 2021/6/10 22:32

The Jasmine Flower
For those who are not on Patreon:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQGgWNpB8RA/

* Next album will be an album of cover versions.

* Excerpt from Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" (live acoustic).

Posted on: 2021/6/14 21:33

Glow Stars
The new Mini Gig from home is up and it's 39 minutes long and absolutely wonderful, just jaw-droppingly beautiful. I am entirely satisfied with the Patreon so far and am really happy Heather is doing it.

The second gig features one song each from:

These Walls EP
Glow Stars
Oyster
Siren B-Side (Nothing, of course, and she also tells the story of the song!)
The Jasmine Flower
The Way It Feels
Pearl
Upcoming Covers Album

A number of my favorite songs were played. Very happy. The song from These Walls EP was a request from Verena.

Posted on: 2021/6/15 0:50

HNN Forums Admin
From France
I'll probably Patreon this time.

Posted on: 2021/6/15 21:51

Glow Stars
Heather has shared a lost recording of I Walked Along the Shore Today (the poem-song Heather performed at Crossing Border Festival 2002) on Patreon. It's really lovely!

Posted on: 2021/7/2 6:33

Glow Stars
Third gig might be the best yet!!!

Heather played my long desired request of To Sea for the first time and it was incredible!

She also played another non-album song that she never plays, Together as one.

In addition to another cover from the upcoming album, Heather also played a song each from Oyster, Storm (new arrangement of a classic), Redbird, Jasmine Flower, and 300 Days At Sea. The Redbird and Jasmine Flower song are my favorite from each album!

Posted on: 2021/7/23 5:53

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Indeed awesome acoustic concert and very nice selection of well known and rare songs. Quite seldom, Heather playing "Fool for you" on guitar.

@Cass, you request could have been mine, so maybe that's why she had my name in mind

This concert is so much needed now as the Pearl Acoustic Tour is delayed again for another year.

Posted on: 2021/7/23 16:07

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network