Main Menu
Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

The Anchoress
Oyster
I've recantly discovered this amazing singer/songwriter, through her work with Paul Draper, who used to be in this band called Mansun. She's also been touring with Simple Minds as a keyboardist/backing singer.

Anyway, I strongly urge you guys to check out her album Confessions of a Romance Novelist, which came out a few years back. You can listen to it on bandcamp:

https://iamtheanchoress.bandcamp.com/a ... ons-of-a-romance-novelist

The music is very eclectic but has a unifying spirit, sophisticated but direct, intelectual and emotional at the same time. Really amazing stuff. It was a bit of a wild purchase (I'd only heard one song) but the CD's been getting repeated spins ever since I got it..

The first song sounds very much like PJ Harvey circa 1995 and it's probably my least fav on the album (but still good [and I love PJ]). The whole album is a real journey. You can hear a lot of different influences but to me she has that rare, unsettled creative spirit of Kate Bush and PJ Harvey.

Do yourselves a favour and check out this fantastic and underrated artist.

Posted on: 6/20 1:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: The Anchoress
HNN Forums Admin
From France
Great, indeed !

Posted on: 6/20 2:40

Wonderlust
Quote:

4ctmam wrote:
..... You can hear a lot of different influences but to me she has that rare, unsettled creative spirit of Kate Bush and PJ Harvey...

You are right, you can hear influences of both (especially on the title track), but she is still unique. Need to listen further, but e.g. I like Rivers of Ice, Doesn’t kill you or Bury me very much. Really a lot of variety on that album!

Posted on: 6/20 9:52

Oyster
Rivers Of Ice is actually just a bonus (albeit a very sweet one) and it's a cover of Simple Minds song which in itself was a reworking of an old tradditional song, if I'm not mistaken. The title track is the proper closer and, if I really had to choose, it's probably my favourite. But I do like the ones you mentioned as well. Doesn't Kill You reminds me of some Manic Street Preachers ballads, it's an incredible tune. But I do enjoy the faster tracks too, like One For Sorrow, Chip On Your Shoulder and especially You And Only You, which was the first one I've heard and I listened to it because of Paul Draper's extended involvement.

Speaking of Paul Draper, I do recommend his album Spooky Action. Like Confessions, it also features several songs co-written by him and Catherine AD (The Anchoress) and she's all over that album. Both albums are strongly linked, even though they're certainly different.

Posted on: 6/20 20:21

Oyster
Catherine's just released a new recording - available for free but you can pay what you want (and for today Bancamp is waiving its fees).

It's a cover of "Martha's Harbour" by All About Eve and it's actually quite special to me as I discovered AAE thanks to a British friend some 15 years ago as they were and still are virtually unknown in Poland. Now I've discovered The Anchoress and she's covering AAE's song so beautifully. This is such a treat!

https://iamtheanchoress.bandcamp.com/track/marthas-harbour

Posted on: 7/3 11:34

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network