Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

Order the Pearl tracks!
The Jasmine Flower
From usa
The tradition continues!

Gosh, I am almost tempted to ask Gerd for my poll powers back and start doing some tournaments for the recent albums.

Some Things Just Come Undone ****

Rewild Me ***Ĺ
Over The Fields ***Ĺ
See Yourself ***Ĺ

The Wounds We Bled ***

All The Rivers **Ĺ
After All This Time **Ĺ
Vincent **Ĺ

Just Kids **
Your Words **
Don't Worry What The Experts Say **

The album is growing on me. Scale is out of 5, so Sugar or Island or the like would be *****. Don't feel the need to add those, just order the tracks from the ones you like the most to the ones you like least.

Posted on: 7/8 0:29

Re: Order the Pearl tracks!
HNN Forums Admin
From France
1st : Rewild Me / Some Things Just Come Undone

3rd : See Yourself
4th : Over The Fields

5th : All The Rivers
6th : Your Words (album version only)
7th : Vincent / The Wounds We Bled
9th : Just Kids

10th : After All This Time

11th : Don't Worry What The Experts Say

Posted on: 7/8 1:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

HNN Forums Admin
From France
We had polls up to 300 Days.

We don't have one about The Way It Feels

Posted on: 7/8 1:19

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Wow, have we ever agreed so much on an album?

Posted on: 7/8 1:22

HNN Forums Admin
From France
I guess no, but it's hard to say, since I'm only playing since TJF.

I don't remember if we agreed or not.
We didn't have a poll for TWIF.

We particularly disagree on 300 Days.

Posted on: 7/8 1:37

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
I am planning to work backwards and thread necromancy each album with my current feelings about the songs.

Listening to TWIF at the moments and I gotta say I'm glad Heather is so much happier now. Those Felix songs are really sad. Incredibly beautiful but sad. I always like the sad albums the most, though.

Posted on: 7/8 1:52

HNN Forums Admin
From France
ďAll happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.Ē

― Leo Tolstoy , Anna Karenina

Most of the times, art is in the difference.

Posted on: 7/8 1:58

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
We actually did agree on TWIF, looking back at old threads, except on Sea Glass. 300 Days we had very different perspectives, for sure. I guess we do have a lot in common in terms of how we see music and writing creatively but we've had very different lives if that makes any sense? Probably makes us good collaborators. Sorry I don't know French.

Posted on: 7/8 2:59

HNN Forums Admin
From France
You are native English speaker and a poet. A song will be saved if the ryhymes are really good, or the images evocative, even if you don't like the music much. A song musically good won't find its way u to you if the lyrics are plain.

I'm non-native English speaker, which makes that, at SOME point, lyrics just ok but not much will be enough to me if the music is ok too. But In JUST can't stand anymore some chords structures (especially) the C G Am F chords structure, which is and absolute easy structure (when you use it, you get automatically a catchy melody) and that Heather uses too much, especially on 300 Days. It's easy, and not original. One song on the album, well, ok, but more, not.
On TWIF, if I remember right, only Radar has this structure, and it's fine, because it's just one song, so I'm not under the impression to hear always the same kind of melody.

Posted on: 7/8 12:11

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
I mean I used to write songs up through my mid-twenties and I played guitar. Neither terribly well but I expirimented a lot with sounds, harmonies, and melodies. My stuff wasn't really good though and I've always been a terrible singer.

I do have trouble with knowing what I'm hearing. When i created a melody in my head it would take a long time to figure out the notes on a piano. I'm not good at instantly knowing an interval from hearing it. I used up post tabs online in the 90s but it wasn't too easy for me to figure out.

I'm basically tone deaf despite having a pretty good knowledge of music theory. Sort f how I have lots of knowledge about linguistics and phonetics and phonology not still have trouble making many sounds when while I know how those sounds are produced.

Anyway, simple chord structure doesn't kill a song for me. I also enjoy a lot of songs for the music rather than the lyrics. Ideally the music and the lyrics should both contribute to the meaning of a song a great deal.

I like a few of the lines of Rewild Me a lot but the music (including the way Heather sings it) does most of the heavy lifting. If the nature imagery were a bit more evocative, this might be up there with the greats. But I do quite like the song.

For me,

*** Good
***Ĺ Really good
**** Great
****Ĺ Almost perfect
***** Perfect

I enjoy listening to anything *** or higher. That's been my metric. Sorta trying to compare across albums.

Posted on: 7/8 15:47

HNN Forums Admin
From France
When I hear a chord structure or a melody overheard, it does to more or less the same feeling you'll feel when you meet an overused rhyme or image : you're noticing it, and you know that's easy ; once in a while, well, that's life, but more often is too often.

Posted on: 7/8 16:21

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
I guess for me, if a common chord structure fits the song, I'm okay with it. I feel that fits certain songs well.

One of the reasons I like Looking For The Light so much is that it is very simple musically which fits the quiet, simple lyrics. The tree frogs in the background are given space to shine, reinforcing the nighttime vibe. It all culminates in the last line where you see behind the veil to the spiritual crisis at the heart of the song. The lyrics and music work really really well together.

I guess Stay is one we feel very differently about. For me, a simple chord structure reflects the desire for home and simplicity well enough and there's plenty of gorgeous melodies and texture layed on top with the violin and such which reinforces the aching, plaintive feel. Maybe the lack of complexity keeps it from perfection but it's still a great song for me.

For poetry and song, I like it when all parts work together and contribute to the "meaning".

It's funny because I am bothered by regular meter that has no purpose and by rhymes which are easy and add no meaning or feel forced or I've heard a million times before. "Desire" and "fire" will take me out of a song (I'm looking at you, Backstreet Boys.") though a good song can work around some common rhymes. But i get really excited by good word painting with meaningful, evocative assonance, alliteration, rhyme, etc. The Break of Sea Glass elevates the song in that way.

Posted on: 7/8 17:34

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Yeah, Sea Glass has a great break.

I could be ok with your interpretation for Stay if Heather was careful not overusing this structure. For, me Heather uses this structure in Stay chorus just because she uses it all the time. .

Let's say that when I hear C G Am F, it's like when you hear desire / fire : the first poem who put the words together had a really good idea, but when it's the 100th time, well, let's calm down with it.

Posted on: 7/8 17:42

Wonderlust
This is no strict order, just a bias:

After all this time
(As said before, I donít know why, but I liked it right from the first listen)
Rewild me and Over the fields (I like both, but I had much higher expectations regarding the lyrics)

Just kids
(Itís a mainstream song, but a good one and I like the e-guitar in it), Your words
Vincent (Funnily, it made me think of a mix of Moon River days, Say something and Paper cup, when I heard it for the first time), See yourself (To me, itís like Pearlís Womenís hands), All the rivers (Itís okay, but I somehow donít like her voice in it, especially in this "I want time..."-part)

Some things just come undone
(I was expecting more regarding lyrics and music as well; too many "Some things..." and "I took my...boy..." for my taste and the nerving voice at the end, sorry...)

The wounds we bled
and Donít worry what the experts say (My least favourite songs, which I knew from the first listen; it wonít change, Iím sure. Iíd definitely rather have Rose gold on it instead.)

My first impression about the songs hasnít changed yet, apart from Your words. I wasnít fond of it when hearing it last year and itíd have probably stayed that way. But when I recently wrote a kind of report about my point of view and my emotional state to some people, I got the feedback by one person, saying, he was deeply touched by my words. This was such a gift for me. And since then, I like this song much better, because I can somehow relate to it on a personal level.

To me, music is quite an emotional thing. Iím not a music expert at all and donít analyze songs too much by giving attention to structures or so. If a song touches me on any level and moves me in any way for what reason ever or not, that decides if I like it or not. Sometimes I canít even explain why.
But I understand that others (especially music-wise people) see it in another way and have a different approach to it.

Posted on: 7/8 18:51

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

57Arietis wrote:

My first impression about the songs hasnít changed yet, apart from Your words. I wasnít fond of it when hearing it last year and itíd have probably stayed that way. But when I recently wrote a kind of report about my point of view and my emotional state to some people, I got the feedback by one person, saying, he was deeply touched by my words. This was such a gift for me. And since then, I like this song much better, because I can somehow relate to it on a personal level.

To me, music is quite an emotional thing. Iím not a music expert at all and donít analyze songs too much by giving attention to structures or so. If a song touches me on any level and moves me in any way for what reason ever or not, that decides if I like it or not. Sometimes I canít even explain why.
But I understand that others (especially music-wise people) see it in another way and have a different approach to it.

I'm really happy for you that you got that touching feedback.
I think I simply love "Your Words" as your words and songs come up in mind.
Great you are touched now as well by this songs!

Posted on: 7/8 21:32

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
There's no wrong way to order the tracks!* It's all about each of our preferences. Estelle and I are not special - we just went on a long conversation about our perspectives!

*Unless you put A Way To Live first.

Posted on: 7/9 7:11

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network