Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: New Heather Nova Album "Pearl" to be released in spring 2019
The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Finally had a chance to listen to the album a couple times straight through with focus. Haven't done the lyrics yet, which helps me focus too, but so it is. I also listened to a few songs I liked some extra times.

Overall, the album reminds me a lot of 300 Days. Similar sound. Pearl is more cohesive and has a nice lead guitar "voice" running through it which feels good but I think 300 Days had a little more range.

The two standout tracks for me are Rewild Me and Sometimes Things Just Come Undone.

I love most of Rewild Me, I love the guitar a lot, I love how she sings it. I love some of the lyrics and the way she structures the song with verses that contain repeated lines from earlier in the song then new ones. But some of the lyrics are not too imaginative and evocative, especially the part about the ocean which is odd cause Heather has written ocean imagery better than anyone else I know before.

Sometimes Things Just Come Undone is heartbreaking and so raw and I am just so thankful that a Heather shared it with us.

Okay, so, in general Pearl so far doesn't seem to be one of my favorite albums of Heather's but I want to say something.

I find it striking that Heather is such a private person. She struggles with sharing things from her personal life with the world because she values her privacy. She's talked about this before.

But here we have another very personal, very autobiographical album and she keeps taking risks of sharing this stuff because she knows she writes better songs that way and people relate to it and are moved by it.. She's talked about all this before but it's really striking when you have a song to Sebastian trying to explain her divorce from Felix. I am so thankful she shared this cause it's beautiful and moving but it's also so personal it must have been hard to share. Makes me think of If I Should Die from The Jasmine Flower.

But here we have hundreds of songs now that Heather has written and shared with us about her life and it's such a rich tapestry and I'm so glad we get to experience such intimate, personal, often painful feeling in art.

I also thought of Throwing Fire At the Sun when I listened to See Yourself. They are both sister songs, of course. I had similar thoughts about the song.

Thanks for the translation of the French, Estelle!

Posted on: 7/3 9:30

HNN Forums Admin
From France
You're welcome. It was not hard to do.

Posted on: 7/3 21:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Jasmine Flower
Interesting interview with Heather (in German): RNZ

Sebastian isn't much interested in his mother's music (he prefers hip-hop) and she opposes Brexit.

Posted on: 7/4 12:26

Blow

Posted on: 7/4 16:24

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Interesting interview with Heather (in German): RNZ

Sebastian isn't much interested in his mother's music (he prefers hip-hop) and she opposes Brexit.

Maybe Heather should apply for a second passport before this stupid Brexit, a german one or from any other european country doesn't really matter.

In regards to Sebastian, who understand their parents or musical taste in his age? Well just reminds me of me.

Music and songs are something that goes to your heart and your soul. It eather touches you or not. And even after years it might change. I still have a connection to those songs I like earlier in my life and some stay same and some not so much anymore. It is even possible to rediscover songs you not liked in previous years and were disliked or not understood before.

Posted on: 7/4 22:01

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

gerd wrote:
Maybe Heather should apply for a second passport before this stupid Brexit, a german one or from any other european country doesn't really matter.

I'm sure she has a Canadian passport as well. At least in case of hard brexit, this Canadian passport may be helpful.

Posted on: 7/4 22:19

The Jasmine Flower
Is it just me, but when I listen to the record, I do also think of PJ Harvey or Kristin Hersh?

Posted on: 7/4 22:49

The Jasmine Flower
Thanks frenchcandle!
Too bad the sound quality of the interview is pretty poor, but what Heather says is pretty interesting!

Posted on: 7/5 6:47

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
The sound quality does get better about half way through or so? It was an interesting interview though not very much about the new album - a lot more about her whole career and about her popularity in the U.S. So probably very interesting for U.S. fans.

Talking about choosing to turn towards Europe after she left her label and went indie and had a child because she needed to prioritize there and she didn't focus on finding a new label in North America when she got dropped was interesting. I appreciate the honesty, actually.

Interesting to hear she is hoping to build up her fanbase in the U.S. and tour more here. I wonder if she'll tour with a band now with Vincent and Arnulf and a drummer maybe? (Geoff?) Probably hard with such small shows as before but we'll see. Would be great to hear Berit's take on the new album and Rewild Me in particular, but from previous conversations, that's not going to be in the cards for a U.S. tour.

Posted on: 7/5 16:56

Storm
From close to Antwerp
When Oyster was released (october 1994) I listened to it every evening for 3 years. I did skip WTW as I thought it was a rip off of Sheryl Crow's All I wann do …

I'm just saying I don't feel the need to listen to Pearl everyday now ...

Posted on: 7/7 10:40

Wonderlust
To me, the whole album remains quite disappointing.
It is not bad and if this was her debut album, I’d be more than satisfied. But after Glowstars and Oyster, I set the bar much higher.
I value her for her total openness she has usually in her songs, especially on those albums named before. I mean, she has lyrics like Island, Sugar, Blue Black, Walking higher, I’m Alive, Ride, Out in New Mexico,... where there is such a depth and total revelation. I miss that on Pearl. The lyrics stay quite vaguely and the music doesn’t catch me on most songs either. My favourite is still After all this time, which has touched me the first time I heard it, for what reason ever.

Her wonderful, unique voice, which I usually love, gets even somehow nerving to me at the end of Some things just come undone and in All the rivers. I don’t know, if it’s because she wants to rock by all means, when her voice is not really made for it, imho. That’s not a failure or a flaw, it’s simply not that, what makes her so outstanding and special. But as said, just my opinion.
To me, there are much more songs I like on Redbird and South (I guess, my least favourite albums) with deeper, more touching lyrics.

Heather said, the songs on Pearl were the ones written quite recently. Somehow I wonder, how the songs sound, which she wrote shortly after her split-up some years ago.

And "Vincent, yours is the first name I’ve ever sung." Umm….no.

But I know, as often I am pretty much alone with my opinion; so good for those of you, who are fond of Pearl.

Posted on: 7/7 13:43

HNN Forums Admin
From France
WHen I listen closely, I'm getting somehow bored of several songs, but unlike 300 Dans or Redbird, I like the sound in ereal, so for background music, it's ok. Or, at the contrary, when I have the occasion to play the record loud, it's ok too, because the musicians are good.
But except Rewild Me, STJCU, and, let' say, See Yourself (and, weirdly, Your Words),and Over The Fileds with its interesting story, I don't find real gems in the album.

Well, the album won't end up in my favourites, but not in my bottom ones, either, escpecially thanks to the musicians, and to the general album mood.

Posted on: 7/7 17:09

The Jasmine Flower
Pearl entered at position 21 in the recent German album charts.
http://www.mtv.de/charts/70tgrf/album-top-100

Posted on: 7/7 21:39

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

57Arietis wrote:
To me, the whole album remains quite disappointing.
It is not bad and if this was her debut album, I’d be more than satisfied. But after Glowstars and Oyster, I set the bar much higher.
I value her for her total openness she has usually in her songs, especially on those albums named before. I mean, she has lyrics like Island, Sugar, Blue Black, Walking higher, I’m Alive, Ride, Out in New Mexico,... where there is such a depth and total revelation. I miss that on Pearl. The lyrics stay quite vaguely and the music doesn’t catch me on most songs either. My favourite is still After all this time, which has touched me the first time I heard it, for what reason ever.

Her wonderful, unique voice, which I usually love, gets even somehow nerving to me at the end of Some things just come undone and in All the rivers. I don’t know, if it’s because she wants to rock by all means, when her voice is not really made for it, imho. That’s not a failure or a flaw, it’s simply not that, what makes her so outstanding and special. But as said, just my opinion.
To me, there are much more songs I like on Redbird and South (I guess, my least favourite albums) with deeper, more touching lyrics.

Heather said, the songs on Pearl were the ones written quite recently. Somehow I wonder, how the songs sound, which she wrote shortly after her split-up some years ago.

But I know, as often I am pretty much alone with my opinion; so good for those of you, who are fond of Pearl.

I need to listen more often to the album, but from a first two or three listens your thoughts are not far away from mine so far.

Haven't yet translated all the lyrics so. Not listented to all interviews. And well not yet the lyrics book, which I hope explains a lot.

Posted on: 7/7 22:33

Storm
From close to Antwerp
It seems like I'm not the only one that's disappointed… When I listen to it in my car, I Always skip songs and before I realise it, the album is over …

Posted on: 7/8 4:42

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Quote:

I must have missed something.
What name did Heather write before ?

Posted on: 7/8 17:20

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Susannah, her sister, but that was in the 1989 demos.

She's mentioned people like Georgia O'Keefe or Jesus in the third person.

"Felix" never appeared in her songs, nor the painter's name. I think that's what she means. Usually with family it's either general "you" (Drink It In) or "my sister", "my father" etc (Blue Black, Turn The Ship Around, etc.)

Berit is mentioned by name in the poem Murmur.

Posted on: 7/8 17:49

HNN Forums Admin
From France
You're right.

Vincent
Your is
First name I ever xrote
After Georgia O'Keef and Jesus, nevertheless

Posted on: 7/8 17:56

Wonderlust
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
Quote:

I must have missed something.
What name did Heather write before ?

As songtitle:
Susannah (from the demos, as Cass already mentioned)
Sabine (Custom written song from the TWIF album campaign wished by Gerd. Well, no official song, thereby.)

Posted on: 7/8 18:35

Wonderlust
Quote:

johandeman wrote:
It seems like I'm not the only one that's disappointed… When I listen to it in my car, I Always skip songs and before I realise it, the album is over …

Skip-skip-skip-skip-skip-end. Oops! - I'm just imagining this right now.

Posted on: 7/8 18:38

HNN Forums Admin
From France
I dont' know the song Sabine. But I'd like to.

Posted on: 7/8 18:38

The Jasmine Flower
- Romeo (Verona)
- I Miss My Sky (Amelia Earhart's Last Days)
- Buddha (Looking For The Light)

Posted on: 7/8 20:49

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
She's never addressed a romantic interest in a song by name in any known song, I'm pretty sure what's what she means.

And Susannah and Berit are only two irl people named and one is a demo only released to backers and the other is a poem.

I think what she says in the song is fair.

Posted on: 7/8 21:18

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
Susannah, her sister, but that was in the 1989 demos.

She's mentioned people like Georgia O'Keefe or Jesus in the third person.

"Felix" never appeared in her songs, nor the painter's name. I think that's what she means. Usually with family it's either general "you" (Drink It In) or "my sister", "my father" etc (Blue Black, Turn The Ship Around, etc.)

Berit is mentioned by name in the poem Murmur.

1989 demos?
Found it in my digital library, need to find the physical CD.

Posted on: 7/8 21:41

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

gerd wrote:
1989 demos?
Can't find it in my collection, which song?

http://heathernova-info.com/discography2a.html#demos1989

Posted on: 7/8 21:45

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
I do remember, but where is the physical CD. It's like finding the needle in a haystack

Posted on: 7/8 21:52

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

57Arietis wrote:
Quote:

johandeman wrote:

Skip-skip-skip-skip-skip-end. Oops! - I'm just imagining this right now.

Imagining as well especially when driving to a concert of her. I'm sure so he will join the concert in any case

Posted on: 7/8 22:01

Blow
You’re all being very literal about the “first name” thing. In English it’s very clear she’s referring to a lover/partner by their name for the first time publicly in song.

Anyhow I like the record, though it would be mid table in the Heather Nova pecking order for me at the moment. I’m glad to see it’s charting in some countries and making some of her investment back.

Some Things Just Come Undone is my favourite track though I was expecting a darker lyric to accompany the menacing sounding cellos.

Posted on: 7/8 23:15

The Jasmine Flower
Is there in the US still something like a "record store"?

Is the US Pearl different to the European Pearl?
https://www.discogs.com/Heather-Nova-Pearl/release/13831877
https://www.discogs.com/Heather-Nova-Pearl/release/13815677
(except different label and barcode?)

Posted on: 7/8 23:42

Milky Way
From St. Louis, Missouri (USA)
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Is there in the US still something like a "record store"?

Is the US Pearl different to the European Pearl?
https://www.discogs.com/Heather-Nova-Pearl/release/13831877
https://www.discogs.com/Heather-Nova-Pearl/release/13815677
(except different label and barcode?)

The US still has record stores, but as of this weekend (the last time I was in my favorite St. Louis record store) they did not have Pearl.

I don't know whether the US release is different from the European edition. The Discogs links you posted indicate that for the US version:

"US Version In A Gatefold Cardboard Sleeve With A Fold Out Booklet."

The link for the European version states:

"3-foldout digisleeve"

I don't know whether these descriptions indicate the same thing or not. Does the European version have a fold-out booklet?

On a related note, I have not yet received my vinyl nor my CD from merchcowboy (although they did send me a download link for the digital demos). Has anybody in this forum from the US received their order yet? It's a little distressing reading everybody's comments about Pearl without being able to listen to it myself! It's also a bit of a drag that nobody on this forum seems to care for the new album very much. Skip all of the tracks until the end?!? Really? My expectations are so low at this point, I'm bound to be pleasantly surprised!

Posted on: 7/9 2:28

Siren
Hi Clouseau!

I have not received mine here in the states.
I did receive (a while back) the postcard.

Last week, the handwritten lyric sheet.

Then, separately, the guitar strings, signed. These were a little disappointing because they were the guitar strings in the package they had come in, signed. While she used them, supposedly, on the new album, nowhere is it noted. I wish she would have notated that, perhaps in a small note.

Oh well, buying them helped get the album made and that was the main purpose.

Still a few things left to be received, the LP and cd being among them.

Hope this helps put you a wee bit at ease. But everyday, I am coming home and running to the mailbox like Charlie Brown...just hoping....

Posted on: 7/9 2:40

Milky Way
From St. Louis, Missouri (USA)
Thank you Feral! Actually, that DOES put me "a wee bit at ease." Very strange that they sent you the postcard, the lyric sheet and the guitar strings all separately. Hopefully the LP and the CD will arrive for both of us soon!

Posted on: 7/9 2:48

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
I haven't gotten anything but a DHL shipping notice with a USPS tracking number along with it but USPS hasn't gotten it yet so no idea when it will arrive or where it is.

Posted on: 7/9 6:16

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Clouseau wrote:
It's a little distressing reading everybody's comments about Pearl without being able to listen to it myself!

You made the mistake other people did as well - ordering the CD, vinyl etc. didn't include the digital version this time, in contrast to 2011 or 2015.

Quote:

Clouseau wrote:
It's also a bit of a drag that nobody on this forum seems to care for the new album very much.

Johan is a bit special, as he likes only melancholic songs. I like Pearl pretty much, it is much better than I was expecting.

Posted on: 7/9 7:26

The Jasmine Flower
I have now gotten everything except the postcard.

Posted on: 7/9 8:03

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Heather is featured in German Rolling Stone magazine July 2019:

https://www.rollingstone.de/rolling-st ... -the-air-tonight-1723847/

Q&A: Heather Nova
Die Songschreiberin über das 25. Jubiläum ihres ­Debüts, das neue Album, Songs über Schmerz und männliche Vorbilder

25h anniversary of Oyster, Pearl, songs about pain, male role models

Is this article online anywhere?

Posted on: 7/9 8:48

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

Bernd wrote:

Video interview with Bermudan singer-songwriter Heather Nova. FaceCulture spoke with Heather about Oyster, starting on her new album Pearl, making an album that rocks, writing a lot of songs, going through a divorce, Rewild Me, our relationship with nature, See Yourself, positivity, Some Things Just Come Undone, how important songwriting is to her, Patti Smith, gearing up towards the live shows, the album title, and a lot more! (15/05/2019)

Interview made in Amsterdam.

Four albums of songs!!! So curious.

Posted on: 7/9 9:08

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Heather is featured in German Rolling Stone magazine July 2019:

https://www.rollingstone.de/rolling-st ... -the-air-tonight-1723847/

Q&A: Heather Nova
Die Songschreiberin über das 25. Jubiläum ihres ­Debüts, das neue Album, Songs über Schmerz und männliche Vorbilder

25h anniversary of Oyster, Pearl, songs about pain, male role models

Is this article online anywhere?

I doubt this will help you:
https://www.facebook.com/HeatherNovaOf ... l/posts/10157476279724791

Posted on: 7/9 9:33

The Jasmine Flower
Interview in English by Vents Magazine:
https://ventsmagazine.com/2019/07/09/i ... ock-darling-heather-nova/

Quite standard questions and answers about the new album. Heather's future plans:

Q: Any plans to hit the road?
A: My European tour starts in October, and I hope to come to the US in early 2020. Stay tuned!
Q: What else is happening next in Heather Nova’s world?
A: I play a festival in Europe later this month, and then I’ll be doing promo and rehearsing for my European tour. I’m also doing a lot of painting, and I’m working on re-releasing my book of poems.

Posted on: 7/9 13:53

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Deutschlandfunk

When you click on the "HÖREN" button, you can hear the article, including Heather's own voice and song samples. Be quick! According to Deutschlandfunk, the button expires January 19, 2038, at 4:14am!!! No joke!

Has anyone tried to transcribe Heather's words? It's really really hard to listen to when the translator speaking over her and the article translating all her words into German.

This seems to be the only interview in which Heather tells the story of Over The Fields and I feel like something is getting lost going from English to German and back to English.

I might you to do it if no one else has.

Posted on: 7/9 15:24

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network