Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

Re: New Heather Nova Album "Pearl" to be released in spring 2019
The Jasmine Flower
Best comment ever, about the release of her single tomorrow:
"This is excellent news. First release since I found out that Heather Frith is Heather Nova and I have been missing out all these years 👍😄"

https://twitter.com/stufalconer/status/1123547759854915584

Posted on: 5/2 22:02

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
I would call it a tragedy this person didn't find the news. Anyway, a lot to discover now for this person to get updated with all what has been released till now.

Posted on: 5/2 22:11

Wonderlust
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
....Well, I would have buy one if I could have one of my song is covered, but legally, Heather can't until the song is released in one way or another. But having one's own cover is very special, and only something very special can't make me decide to pay 700 euros for it.

So if you put a song on, for example, youtube, then Heather could legally cover it? Or what does "released in one way or another" mean, only somehow "professionally" released?
Anyway, disregarding the price, I hope for you, that you get the chance to get one of your songs covered by Heather some day soon, Estelle!

Posted on: 5/2 23:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Quote:
Best comment ever, about the release of her single tomorrow: "This is excellent news. First release since I found out that Heather Frith is Heather Nova and I have been missing out all these years 👍😄" https://twitter.com/stufalconer/status/1123547759854915584

Tell me that person is joking.

Posted on: 5/2 23:46

The Jasmine Flower

Posted on: 5/3 0:05

Milky Way
Wow
Very oyster !

Posted on: 5/3 1:33

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
A 90 seconds snippet is available on iTunes. See attachment for the length of the songs. No extra songs this time compared to 300 days.

Attach file:

jpg  itunes-pearl.jpg (96.32 KB)
2_5ccbd445cc0c9.jpg 1600X764 px

Posted on: 5/3 7:43

Siren
From the stars in the sky
I like the new song. For my taste it could be more rocking. Could also have been from her album The Way It Feels - in a good way.
Reminds me of 'Seaglass'.

Anyone please could catch the lyrics?

Posted on: 5/3 9:12

Siren
@gerd Will you wait for the whole album to listen to? Without listening to the snippnet?

Posted on: 5/3 9:23

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Yes, there's something very Sea Glass in the song. In the song arrangements, I mean.

Posted on: 5/3 9:23

Blow

Posted on: 5/3 9:56

Wonderlust
From all the new songs I've already heard, I unfortunately like "The wounds we bled" least and after hearing it in the full band version for a few times now, I don't like it better than before. I find the melody somehow boring, to be honest. She has even had so much better b-sides, imho. I'd rather have "Just kids" as single and "Rose gold" on the album. But well, that's the way it is. The video is quite nice, though the blinding lights a bit too much.

Posted on: 5/3 13:53

Blow
i agree with you...

Not a bad one but so so predictable ...nothing to stand out.

Even the vocals aren't very striking imo...her voice sounds boring...

And this isn't a very good choice for a first single i think ...a mellow song with no dynamic, a "remote control" beat...and yes a very forgettable song in the light of her discography.

The video is ok but nothing new or surprising from it...

a little bit disapointing...

Posted on: 5/3 16:12

The Jasmine Flower
Funnily I thought of Sea Glass as well, after listening to the song for the first time this morning, and before reading your comments.

The video is great in my opinion and adds so much more to the song! Also nice she still does music videos. In the last eleven years since Always Christmas, she has had only two videos for Higher Ground (2011) and Girl On The Mountain (2016).

Posted on: 5/3 16:14

The Jasmine Flower
Very very happy to announce the release of my first single “The Wounds We Bled”, from my forthcoming album, “Pearl”. It’s a song about realising that we choose the path we take, consciously or unconsciously, in our lives; even if that means sometimes going through pain in order to learn. Its about acceptance, moving on, letting go. I’m so grateful to the amazing musicians who played on this song, and I hope you enjoy it! I had lots of fun making the video in an old ruin with photographer, Vincent Lions. I loved how nature had taken over the building, with the vines and trees engulfing the walls and roof. (...)

Full album will be released on June 28th. Please note that the single will be available a week later in N America. Good news is that indie label SRG/ILS will release it there, so cds and vinyl will be available in Canada and the US too. Yay! #pearl

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw_sh3oh4ib/

Posted on: 5/3 16:17

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

frenchcandle wrote:
Full song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m2buTuSgS4

Not working.

This link will surely work better, as it is Heather's account:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJCevh9V7UQ

Posted on: 5/3 17:08

The Jasmine Flower
Also I love to see Christoph's guitar!

Posted on: 5/3 17:37

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:
Video unavailable
This video is not available.

Guess we have to wait a week in North America like Heather says.

(There was never a recording of the Bermuda show, right?)

Posted on: 5/3 21:31

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

sugarbaby wrote:
@gerd Will you wait for the whole album to listen to? Without listening to the snippnet?

no, this time i will. Couldn't listen to in the morning so, had to hurry up to work.

Posted on: 5/3 23:45

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
I pretty much have the same thoughts if not entirely as 57Arietis.

First of all, as knowing a few songs from the new album from recent concerts as acoustic versions, thinking, my thought it will be rocking from what I heard as announcement, it will be a kind of Oyster 2, the new Single doesn't differ that much to the acoustic version. It was my least favourite of all in August last year on the summer tour, not bad so.
Thinking of the songs played on the little tour in August I was interesting how they will sound on a rock album.

As equal to some members here, it reminds me first of Sea Glass as well. The lyrics are fine, but the songs burbles a bit to much for my taste without any highlight. Currently I think I like the acoustic version better, but I need to listen more often.

About the video, way to much reflections for my taste. I know you can do so many effects with plug-ins of Adobe Premiere-Pro and Adobe After_Effects like Video-Copilot, I have to deal with in my job. I think this video was made to shiny! The video is great in terms of the scenes, angles and composition. The effects are killing it. I understand it should look bright and wonderful but it was way to much. Anyay, love it was shared, happy for all news and am very thankful!

Posted on: 5/4 0:08

HNN Forums Admin
From France
To my mind, the problem is in trying to rock a song whose melody isn't made for rock.

I appreciated the acoustic live version, the lyrics are ok, and I like some parts pf the cd version (the guitar, for example). The arrangements have something very cristalline, delicate, soft, and full of light, that don"t match a rocking mood. I can't blame anything in the song ; it's just that the melody and the arrangements and the aiming-at-doing-rock stuff just don't fit well together.

It's just like if you served me a delicious beef steak for the dessert, or a wonderful chocolate cake as a min course : it's good stuff, but the way it's used is not accurate.

Well, that was my opinion.

The song definitely reminds me of Sea Glass, which I quite like, but is my least favourite (with Humanness) on the previous album. Too smooth, too many compromises, too many goals n one songs that don't fit together.

Posted on: 5/4 0:23

Siren
I personally really like “Rewild Me”
To me it is an Oyster type song.

Posted on: 5/4 1:12

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Ah, got the video playing when I tried loading on my home PC.

Any samples outside of itunes?

Posted on: 5/4 4:12

Wonderlust
The thing is, we often got promised a "rock album", which turned out not to be in the end. That’s no problem to me, as I don’t appreciate Heather, because she is such a rock woman, but she is at her strongest in the quiet, stripped down songs, imho, mostly because of her beautiful, clear, high voice, which shines and comes out best this way. If I want to listen to a really rocking woman, I put on Melissa Etheridge, who rocks with her voice and guitar and music. I love Heather for her sensibility and vulnerability (which means strength, not weakness!) in her music. That makes her so outstanding and unique.
So, no matter if it will be a rock album or not, the music arrangement has to fit the song. I guess that’s the challenge for the musicians and the producer, to find out, which way a song shines at its best.

Posted on: 5/4 9:33

Wonderlust
Quote:

Feral wrote:
I personally really like “Rewild Me”
To me it is an Oyster type song.

You make me curious!
Nice new pics on your instagram account, btw., thanks for showing!!

Posted on: 5/4 9:36

Siren
After listening a lot to the The Wounds We Bled, I sadly have to change my first impression. I have to say that it is a Heather song I get bored with. Think this never happened before. Her voice sounds without expression, without passion. There are no highlights, expect from the bridge, which I like. I hope the other songs on Pearl will catch me.

Posted on: 5/4 11:32

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
It strikes me as odd there's always a conversation about whether her new album will be like Oyster - at least on the alternating louder albums that follow the quieter ones.

Oyster was made 25 years ago. Why should we expect Heather to make music like she did back then? It was great music but that was a quarter century ago. A song like Sugar or Blue Black would feel pretty out of place on one of her recent albums probably cause she was a very different person and songwriter and musician so long ago.

I think we have a sense of the artist she is today and I expect more music like her recent albums, but probably continuing to evolve, all of which I've enjoyed for what they are and for the songwriter Heather is today.

A song like The Archaeologist or On My Radar would seem out of place on Oyster but that's not a bad thing. They're just different. It's been twenty-five years.

Posted on: 5/5 2:36

The Jasmine Flower
Well, it's part of the promo text, where Heather herself made the connection to Oyster:
https://www.v2benelux.com/news/artists/heather-nova-20639

“I didn’t plan to release an album on the 25th anniversary of Oyster. It just worked out that way. When I was ready to record a new album, I thought it would be cool to have Youth produce one or two of the songs, to revisit the vibe and sound we created back then. (Youth produced “Oyster”) I sent him my demos so that he could choose one or two. The message I got back was “Really beautiful .... I’d love to do them all ...can see the connection to Oyster, but the songs are better! Much stronger ..deeper insights ....still vulnerable but from a position of strength, Woah - I’m in!”. We discussed going back to a similar sound, while still keeping the record contemporary too. I think that, just naturally, the combination of each of our innate sensibilities once again came together to create that unique sound we got on Oyster. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

Posted on: 5/5 9:47

The Jasmine Flower
Funnily, the more I listen to "The Wounds We Bled", the more I like it.

Posted on: 5/5 9:56

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
@Cass, i was not and nobody else I think demanding/requesting an Oyster 2 album. I don't need as I do care for development of an artist and love it, and I wouldn't still follow her music, if I couldn't follow her development!

It's maybe typically me to not read carefully. Heather talked about one or two songs in regards of Oyster only. My fault. The recording line-up made me thinking so there will be more of that style. I couldn't think of any of the 4 new songs played in August in 2018 could be arranged a kind of Oyster Style. Especially not "Your Words" which seems a kind of fade out of the album and makes sense. Love this song!
I think we have to wait for the album and all of the songs to understand everything what the album is about.

Posted on: 5/5 21:50

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Heather Nova herself talekd about Oyster, when announcing the album.
Bernd just copied the interview.
Plus, there is a connection between the albums covers (fonts, album titles, Heather standing approximately with the same gesture...). Same producer, as well.

Talking about the cover, in spite af all the hints to Oyster, I see a big change of mood : there's something aseptized in that Facebook-blue mood, Heather's leather trousers, the blue marine top... there was something much, much more organic and spiritual in Oyster's cover, more personal. Pearl cover is quite cold, imho. Because of the color. Possbly the choices about the make-up as well, though I'm not an expert at all (I don't know anything about make-up).

Lst album cover had more soul in it. 300 Days cover was ok to me, as well.

Well. The song makes me think bout Sea Glass, one of the songs I like less on The Way It Feels, but I am very fond of The Way it Feels, so if goes the same way this time, it's ok to me.

It's late, I'm not sure if my English was accurate, but you'll understand what I meant anyway.

Posted on: 5/6 0:45

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
I wasn't really calling out anyone here and hadn't followed the promotional stuff too much. Just seemed odd to make the comparison.

I've enjoyed The Wounds We Bleed after a few listens. Kinda have to do the lyrics up myself (though I'm sure others have done all the new songs while I've been away) just out of tradition and to get to know the song. Overall it sounds a lot like recent Heather Nova albums.

Posted on: 5/6 1:58

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
As Bernd posted in another thread, the lyrics are here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtRPjW3hAi7/

I did them all before I found that and only missed a couple words.

The Break does remind me a bit of Oyster - a spoken, meditative type part near the end of the song kind of like on Verona. But it's not nearly as long.

Either way, after many listens now, I like the song. Would enjoy hearing live.

Posted on: 5/6 2:31

Wonderlust
Quote:

Cassander wrote:

...I did them all before I found that and only missed a couple words....

Have you done "Rose gold" as well (or did you only refer to "The wounds we bled")?
Last year, I was only eager to find out "After all this time", which was relatively easy (with the help from others here). After listening to "Rose gold" twice or so, I gave up trying, as I would have much too many gaps and thought, we’d get the lyrics with the album anyway. But unfortunately not. It’s my 3rd favourite song from the new ones, after "After all this time" and "Just kids".
Otherwise I’ll try it again myself, but I’m no native speaker, which makes it more difficult as well.

Posted on: 5/6 9:53

Wonderlust
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Well, it's part of the promo text, where Heather herself made the connection to Oyster:
https://www.v2benelux.com/news/artists/heather-nova-20639

Thanks for the link, haven't known it before! Interesting to read about some of the other songs as well.

Posted on: 5/6 9:57

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
Heather Nova herself talekd about Oyster, when announcing the album.
Bernd just copied the interview.

Yes, I want to quote also from her newsletter from November 23, 2018:
“Pearl" will be in the same vein as “Oyster" and “Siren": it will have that great mix of both rock and fragile songs. And lots of cello too! I figured that a Pearl is what forms inside an Oyster after all those years, right?

Quote:

Estellem wrote:
Plus, there is a connection between the albums covers (fonts, album titles, Heather standing approximately with the same gesture...).

Very good point! Yes!
http://vincentlions.com/heather-nova-pearl-behind-the-album-cover/

So it was definitely Heather who made a huge connection to Oyster. It was not our wish or hope.

Posted on: 5/6 11:29

The Jasmine Flower
OK, my postcard is now officially lost, I will get a new one...

Posted on: 5/6 14:23

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

57Arietis wrote:
The thing is, we often got promised a "rock album", which turned out not to be in the end. That’s no problem to me, as I don’t appreciate Heather, because she is such a rock woman, but she is at her strongest in the quiet, stripped down songs, imho, mostly because of her beautiful, clear, high voice, which shines and comes out best this way. If I want to listen to a really rocking woman, I put on Melissa Etheridge, who rocks with her voice and guitar and music. I love Heather for her sensibility and vulnerability (which means strength, not weakness!) in her music. That makes her so outstanding and unique.
So, no matter if it will be a rock album or not, the music arrangement has to fit the song. I guess that’s the challenge for the musicians and the producer, to find out, which way a song shines at its best.

I couldn't say it better, you expressed exactly what I feel and probably unable to explain so precise myself! Probably the best statement ever here in the forums, at least for me! Thanks so much!

Posted on: 5/8 22:42

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

57Arietis wrote:
Quote:

Cassander wrote:

...I did them all before I found that and only missed a couple words....

Have you done "Rose gold" as well (or did you only refer to "The wounds we bled")?
Last year, I was only eager to find out "After all this time", which was relatively easy (with the help from others here). After listening to "Rose gold" twice or so, I gave up trying, as I would have much too many gaps and thought, we’d get the lyrics with the album anyway. But unfortunately not. It’s my 3rd favourite song from the new ones, after "After all this time" and "Just kids".
Otherwise I’ll try it again myself, but I’m no native speaker, which makes it more difficult as well.

Oh, I meant having done all the previous albums. I hadn't done any of the new songs before this.

I'm working on Rose Gold right now for you. Gotten almost all of it - just having trouble with a few words in the first verse.

Posted on: 5/9 2:26

Wonderlust
Quote:

gerd wrote:
Quote:

57Arietis wrote:

I couldn't say it better, you expressed exactly what I feel and probably unable to explain so precise myself! Probably the best statement ever here in the forums, at least for me! Thanks so much!

Don’t get me wrong, after listening to Oyster and Siren just recently, I really like the rock songs, too, but that’s not, what I immediately associate with Heather, although Island and Siren are classics, of course. For me, I just think, she is "the loudest" with her quietest songs.

Posted on: 5/9 15:16

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network