Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

« 1 2 (3)

Re: First Thoughts on 300 Days At Sea
Milky Way
From South Africa
Damn...i still have'nt heard the entire album...but I managed to convert some tracks from you-tube to mp3 and I can now at least happily listen to those...I will definitely buy the cd once it is available in South Africa tho....

Anyway I ordered the songs from my favorite to least favorite.

1. Save a little piece of tomorrow

I dunno why most of u don't like this track...it's so catchy without feeling like it's pure pop...I love the heavy guitar sound!

2. Everything Changes

Fells a lot like it could have been on The Jasmine Flower.

3. Until the race is Run

Very nice melody!

4. Do something that scares you

Still reminds me of "i miss my sky"...maybe it is just the song structure....tho I still prefer "I miss my sky"

5. Precious Thing

It's different sounding to most of her stuff and in a good and very refreshing way!

6.The good ship moon

Not an instant favorite, but it's starting to grow on me.
Reminds me of the storm tracks.

7. Higher ground

Not a favorite but better than the original version....it also took a while to grow on me.

8. Stay

Nah....I dunno maybe if I listen to it more.

The rest of the album I have'nt had the pleasure of listening to yet....but I will eventually.

So far I think it is a pretty decent album...I still prefer the jasmine flower tho and ofcause "oyster" and "glowstars" will likely always be my favorites....maybe my opinion will change once I have heard the whole album.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 13:46

Milky Way
From South Africa
oh I forgot about "Beautiful ride"..im not nuts about it...bit to pop orientated for my liking.

Posted on: 2011/6/27 13:52

Blow
I know the signature issue is overshadowing the new music but this album just continues to grow and grow with me. I'm loving it. 'Do Something That Sacres You' is probably my current fave.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 18:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Siren
From GER
Quote:

CatastropheBoy wrote:
I know the signature issue is overshadowing the new music but this album just continues to grow and grow with me.

Indeed. I hear it everyday in my car. 'Beautiful Ride' is one of my favourite Heather songs, 'Stay' too.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 19:16

Milky Way
From South Africa
Ok so i finally gotten to hear most of all the songs...well i have heard all of the 12 tracks on the album....there is still 2 or 3 of the separately released songs that i did not hear.

I hate to say it but i am slightly disappointed in this album....don't get me wrong tho....as albums go it is very good and i will be listening to it plenty....but comparing it to her previous albums i would classify this as one of my lesser favorites.

I though that "the jasmine flower" was a masterpiece, probably her best album since oyster in my personal opinion.
This album reminds me of "siren"...except that is slightly better than "siren"....i know that many of u think that siren was an absolute triumph...but i just thought it was good..(nowhere near as good as oyster)

So yeah...300 days at sea is a great album...though compared to her back catalog....not nearly her best....in fact i thought that "redbird' was a better album and i think "300" is equal to "south".

About half the tracks are absolutely awesome, but the rest does'nt really do much for me....they neither bad nor good and i feel the tendency to just skip them.

Oh well...still a good album and perhaps some tracks will grow on me over time....i will still recommend that people buy this album....weather they fans or not!

Posted on: 2011/7/8 17:39

Glow Stars
First of all I'm really grateful that Heather goes on and on and on making and releasing music... She's simply the best female musician for, beautiful in all ways. I can very much identify with her love for nature and the sea. I LOVE the album cover. I like 300 days very much, far more than Redbird, Storm, well, and on the Jasmin Flower I tend to skip a lot of songs, unfortunately. (Some of it I like very much, and I like the searching and yearning mood of the Jasmine Flower.) Actually, while writing it, I find it is probably a bit stupid to compare her albums... but well, that's what we all do. I am definetely the Glowstars-Siren-Oyster-type.
I must say that I haven't listened much to 300 days yet because my 3 months old baby starts crying no matter how soft and low the music is (at The good ship moon even...). So the music has got to wait, like everything else has got to wait at the moment!
What I can say is that to me, the lyrics don't mean that much to me on 300 days. I am not so impressed, I don't find much to think about. But the music is simply great!
'Precious thing 'could be U2 song, which is good!

Posted on: 2011/7/9 21:23

Glow Stars
Having listened a lot to this album lately, I must say it really grows on me. Only track I tend to skip is 'Beautiful Ride', which I find to be while not bad, a bit dull compared to the rest of the album. I think it's her most consistent album, even if the songs are not quite as good as the best from Oyster.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 22:47

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Amazing to me that only 7 people have had anything other than positive reactions to the album initially.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 22:06

HNN Forums Admin
From France
I chose "I like it.....". now, I'd rather choose "it's ok...".

Posted on: 2011/11/22 22:52

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
I chose "I like it.....". now, I'd rather choose "it's ok...".

I know. I fixed my previous post.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 22:56

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
After listening to 300 Days At Sea again straight through, I'm really struck by just how much of a Buddhist album this is. Almost every song is relentlessly pacifistic. Everything is about accepting life and casting aside anger. Musically, the album has some uturns in it (SALPOT-Everything Changes-DSTSY-Moon), but thematically, it's pretty darn tight.

Posted on: 2011/12/2 17:24

Storm
From close to Antwerp
Some songs I didn't like at first I now enjoy/understand more after hearing them live.

Posted on: 2011/12/2 21:04

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

johandeman wrote:
Some songs I didn't like at first I now enjoy/understand more after hearing them live.

Such as?

Posted on: 2011/12/2 21:25

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
This is close enough to an "Order the tracks" thread since that's what a lot of us did!

Stay ****
Everything Changes ****
Do Something That Scares You ****

The Good Ship "Moon" ***
I'd Rather Be ***
Burning To Love ***
Until The Race Is Run ***
When The Music Stops ***
You're A Rainbow ***

Turn The Compass Round ***
Beautiful Ride ***
Over You ***
I'm Here ***

Precious Thing **
Stop The Fire **

Higher Ground *
Save A Little Piece Of Tomorrow *

He's Spiritual *

Stop the Fire and Precious Thing are right on the cusp of *** and I've gone back and forth on them. Overall, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the bonus tracks listening to them for the first time in awhile and how rocking they are. The bonus tracks remind me of Pearl a bit.

13/18 at *** or higher isn't bad and it easily could be 15/18 depending on which way I'm feeling. A solid album but doesn't consistently hit the same eights as The Way It Feels for me, but wow were there a lot of tracks!

Posted on: 7/8 4:14

HNN Forums Admin
From France
1- Do Something That Scares You
2- Everything Changes

4- Burning To Love
3- Stay

5- I'd Rather Be
6- The Good Ship Moon
7- Save A Little Piece Of Tomorrow

Then, the tracks I always skip :

8- Turn The Compass Round (i liked the acoustic version, but I'm not at all into album arrangements)
9- Higher Ground
10- Beautiful Ride
11 and 12- Stop The Fire, Until The Race Is Run, maybe my two less favourite songs from Heather.

300 Days At Sea is my less favourite album.

Posted on: 7/8 15:21

The Jasmine Flower
Haven't heard for ages, but two things are for sure:

1 - Beautiful Ride (one of my favourite Heather songs ever)
12 - Higher Ground (well, the complete opposite)

Posted on: 7/9 9:52

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Did you hear how on that podcast the US fan said Higher Ground was his favorite song of all her songs?

I did relisten to the album before I posted this. Was curious if my feelings had changed.

Posted on: 7/9 15:17

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
Did you hear how on that podcast the US fan said Higher Ground was his favorite song of all her songs?

Yeah sure I did! I think it's funny but also good that not everyone has the same favourites...

Posted on: 7/9 22:07

Wonderlust
No strict order again. Just listed from songs I really love +++++ until quite okay + (its not that I totally dislike them):

+++++ Beautiful ride, Everything changes, The good ship moon, Stay

++++ Turn the compass round, Do something that scares you (especially for the good lyrics)

+++ Until the race is run (I didnt like it first, thinking it was very mainstream, also regarding the lyrics. But when watching the Olympic games in London 2012, I thought what a great Olympia song, even a kind of Olympic anthem, it would be and since then, I like it in that sense a lot), Burning to love

++ Id rather be (I like the verses a lot, especially the drums in it; but I find the chorus quite trivial regarding melody and lyrics)

+ SALPOT (I liked it in the beginning better, but got tired of it), Higher ground, Stop the fire, Precious things

Posted on: 7/10 23:03

Glow Stars
Not seeing a lot of love for this album here? Odd, for me it's by far Heather's best other than Oyster and Siren.

My rating of the tracks would be:

Classic:
Everything Changes
Do Something That Scares You

Great:
Higher Ground
Save A Little Piece Of Tomorrow
The Good Ship (Moon)
Until The Race Is Run

Good:
Stop The Fire
Turn The Compass Round