Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

(1) 2 3 »

First Thoughts on 300 Days At Sea
The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Probably should start a new thread just for reactions to the album and leave news and info in the other thread, I think.

So... yeah, this is different!

My first impression is what while The Jasmine Flower was Heather sitting alone in a dark room thinking about life passing by outside and all the things that are lost, in 300 Days At Sea, she is outside in the sunlight, on the ocean out in the air or on a mountain doing stuff. It's the complete opposite of The Jasmine Flower. If The Jasmine Flower posed the question: "What if I fail? What If I fall?", 300 Days At Sea answers with "I did something that scares me".

Honestly, I think I like the songwriting on The Jasmine Flower more (caveat: I've only listened to the songs once or twice so far), but I do like that she's pushing into new directions here. She's never done anything quite like "Do Something That Scares You" before... I guess maybe it's kinda like Virus of the Mind, but yeah, definitely different than anything she's ever done.

Musically, she does some interesting things on this album, I think... on first impression, she seems more willing to experiment and make different sounds than she just about ever has. Reminds me a bit of South, but without that studio/record company feel... kind of a riskier version of South I guess? Or a weird mix of Siren, South, and Redbird.

Anyway, on first impression, these are my favorite songs on it:

Beautiful Ride (yay flying... this song really fits where I am right now)

Everything Changes (still love this song, though I think I probably like the song a bit better as she performed it live)

Do Something That Scares You (wow! looking forward to doing the lyrics for this!)

Burning To Love (I wasn't a huge fan of this song from the last tour, but for some reason, listening to this version on the album, I like it more.)

Turn The Compass Round (And same for this one... I think I understand this song a bit better now)

The Good Ship Moon (Her vocals are really nice on this and it's very intimate.. it has some flaws, but there's a lot to like, i think)

Stay (a nice ending for an album that feels like it's all about getting out in the sun and on the sea... kinda reminds me of The Ship Song and Drive Away, actually)

Still am not a huge fan of Higher Ground or SALPOT, but that's not unexpected.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 13:23

Re: First Thoughts on 300 Days At Sea
The Jasmine Flower
The first 30 seconds of Beautiful Ride sound very much like a song that was recently very often on radio. Anyone has an idea? I don't remember the name.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 20:47

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
The first 30 seconds of Beautiful Ride sound very much like a song that was recently very often on radio. Anyone has an idea? I don't remember the name.

Not sure, but the main part of the melody of Beautiful Ride sounds very much like a song I wrote a long time ago.

I actually can't listen to the song without thinking about it... Heather's song is much better, though, of course.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 20:54

Siren
Quote:

Bernd wrote:

Perhaps "Heart and Shoulder"?

@Cassander:
Oh, pardon, I didn' t realise that you opened this thread (so I wrote my comments in the old thread about "300 days at sea" ...)

Posted on: 2011/5/26 21:09

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

Sabsi wrote:

@Cassander:
Oh, pardon, I didn' t realise that you opened this thread (so I wrote my comments in the old thread about "300 days at sea" ...)

It's no problem... I think you already had some comments there before I opened this, anyway. I just figured it'd be easier if we split discussion of the songs on the album away from discussion of where to get the album and which songs are where etc. Actually, talking about the related extras on the DVD is fine on the other thread... this is mostly just for talking about the music, I think.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 21:27

The Jasmine Flower
"Stay" has some melody that sounds like "The Ship Song" by Nick Cave...

Posted on: 2011/5/26 21:45

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Sabsi wrote:
Quote:

Bernd wrote:

Perhaps "Heart and Shoulder"?

Mh no, I thought of the band Metric or similar... maybe not on radio, but in my CD collection? The complete beginning sounds very familiar to me (and I love it - from first listen the best part of the complete album)!

Posted on: 2011/5/26 22:39

Oyster
I'm very disapointed

Posted on: 2011/5/26 22:43

Milky Way
Quote:

Heinz wrote:
I'm very disapointed

Why???

Posted on: 2011/5/26 23:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Poll added.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 23:38

HNN Forums Admin
From The Netherlands
First impressions:

In one word "amazing" what an unexpected treasure!!!!!!

That she is still able to renew herself after all these time, the many albums she made.
I like over produced songs with this deep longing lyrics like in "Until the race is run" and what a surprise is this version of "Turn The Compass Round".

Thanks Heather, keep surprising us

Posted on: 2011/5/27 0:19

Oyster
Quote:

MiniCooper wrote:
Quote:

Heinz wrote:
I'm very disapointed

Why???

After the first listoning, I was disapointed. Thats's not really my last opinion. After the second listoning I am not longer disapointed. There are some pearls on this album.
I will tell you more in some days.

Just I got the deluxe edition. Very nice with some drwaings. And all Heather Fans will love the video! The deluxe edition is a must have.

:-H.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 12:53

Siren
From California
First thought : Just awesome

Posted on: 2011/5/27 20:35

Milky Way
From UK/Ireland
@Heinz
yeh i have to agree... first listen left me underwhelmed too, in so far as i was like is that it?!!!

i was (note was!!) of the initial opinion that this was without a doubt Heather's weakest album to date...

with repeated listens though it just gets better and better; i love it now!!

i do think though that the running order doesn't do it any favours; after my second listen i amended the sequencing and, to me anyway, it now makes for a much more rewarding and coherent listening experience - see what u think:

1. Save a little piece of tomorrow
2. Higher ground
3. The good ship 'Moon'
4. Burning to love
5. Stop the fire
6. Everything changes
7. Do something that scares you
8. I'd rather be
9. Until the race is run
10. Turn the compass round
11. Stay
12. Beautiful Ride

this is the order i always listen to the album in now; i will slot in the bonus tracks eventually...

anyone else think the running order could have been better??? (ha, it is now!!!!)

Posted on: 2011/5/27 22:16

Milky Way
From The Netherlands
First impression: I like the possitive lyrics of this album. It suits with the things I am going through for the last five months. She seems to move me with every new album.

I like the sound of the whole album.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 23:00

Milky Way
I really like it.
I'm sorry to say, I LOVE the Amazon-only track You're A Rainbow!

For the album, it's very positive/life is great lyrics. I like that!

Posted on: 2011/5/27 23:25

The Jasmine Flower
Oh, I love most songs. I think this album is better than Redbird and The Jasmine Flower. Haven't paid much attention to the lyrics yet (after first listen), but this will surely follow soon. I think it's a very warm record. Also, I like all bonus tracks.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 0:43

Siren
My favourite song is "Do something that scares you". I love the lyrics and the melody as well. I really hope that she will play this song in her autumn tour. The more I listen to this album, the more I love it. But I must confess that I still don' t really "love" the song "Higher ground". I like it, somehow, but it doesn' t really convince me. And I think that Heather chose the right season to release this album.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 1:00

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

kyleho wrote:

i do think though that the running order doesn't do it any favours; after my second listen i amended the sequencing and, to me anyway, it now makes for a much more rewarding and coherent listening experience - see what u think:

1. Save a little piece of tomorrow
2. Higher ground
3. The good ship 'Moon'
4. Burning to love
5. Stop the fire
6. Everything changes
7. Do something that scares you
8. I'd rather be
9. Until the race is run
10. Turn the compass round
11. Stay
12. Beautiful Ride

this is the order i always listen to the album in now; i will slot in the bonus tracks eventually...

anyone else think the running order could have been better??? (ha, it is now!!!!)

The one thing I like about your running order is that I can just start the CD on the third track.

Other than those two songs, actually, I like the order on the CD pretty well. I think Beautiful Ride is a greater opener and Stay is a great finisher. Also like the Everything Changes - Do Something That Scares You - The Good Ship Moon combo in the middle... possibly the three best songs on the album.

I'm still really surprised I like Burning To Love and Turn The Compass Round much better than during the fall tour.

In general, my impression of the album so far is that it's the album Redbird was supposed to be. Still probably a bit partial to The Jasmine Flower, though.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 3:32

Spirit In You
From always on the road
I really love it.

Actually right now I'd say 300 days(and Storm maybe) is Heathers best work since Siren.

Still I don't know the reason Higher Ground was chosen for first single. There are better radio songs, Beautiful Ride coming to my mind in first place.

During fall tour I was wondering how new songs will sound full band, as I liked them acoustic. I think they're even better, however it still doesn't help Save A Little Piece... a lot Burning to Love is still one of my favourites.

Recording is well produced, haven't looked that much into lyrics yet, but it always been the music and the voice that dragged me to Heather.

The one thing that annoys me is I'm confused what to do to get all songs and stuff...

Posted on: 2011/5/28 12:17

Blow
Well, I finally worked out how to get the download onto disc without my internet explorer going crazy - I'm a bit technically incompetent ;) so now I'm about to press play and will report back.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 14:06

Siren
I'm probably more incompetent than you...

Posted on: 2011/5/28 15:11

Siren
Oh! No! CatastropheBoy and me are off topic.
Sincerely sorry.

I will can hear the cd this monday.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 17:48

Milky Way
From Landgraaf, Netherlands
The album opens with the beautiful Beautiful Ride. A cheerful song that with extra long intro would be the perfect opener for the upcoming tour!
It's also a song that could be a radio hit
Then comes the first single from the album: Higher Ground.
The powerful Stop The Fire is a song which, like Beautiful Ride, with a beat underneath could be a club hit (by ATB?)
Save A Little Piece Of Tomorrow I already knew of the concert on Bospop 2010 and two theater shows in October of that year.
Especially the version Bospop I found very good. This seems the most on the album version.
The emotional Everything Changes was also occasionally on the setlist of last fall's theater.
The live version that I've heard didn't I like much but the album is the most beautiful ballad from 300 Days At Sea.
Then a song I did not know before, Do Something That Scares You.
Stylistically speaking, I think it's the Sugar from this album.
The Good Ship 'Moon' A very nice song which I really can enjoy the piano.
Turn The Compass Round I think one of the lesser songs on this album. It's not a bad track but so far I didn't get goosebumps.
After this song the album continues with Burning Love. Also a song she performed at her theatershows. I like the album version more than the acoustic version.
I'd Rather Be is a song that sounds catchy.
A song that I would see back into the setlist of her tour later this year.
The Race Is Run Until I found after the first listening disappointing. But after the second I like it a lot better.
Anyhow, I have a little trouble with ballads often as I appreciate rock songs quickly . The ballads require more attention from me to listen to.
Especially from mid-song I like this song.
Stay is the least good song on this album
Luckily I have the special edition (CD / DVD)with bonustrack Precious Thing. A beautiful song what Is the perfect closer for this album.

With 300 Days At Sea is Heather Nova back! The first album since Siren where during the first listen Heather me suprised/overwhelmed.
It seems as if her inspiration has returned for a nice pop / rock album.
Hopefully she continues to make albums of this level, in other words: Heather, save a little piece for later!

Finally I hope you understand the English of me, since I have no gift for languages.
But a translator does help a little bit :)

Posted on: 2011/5/28 20:23

Siren
It' s easy to understand, Idefix.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 22:00

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
You're English is fine! It's interesting reading such a different reaction to the album than I had in most places, actually. Part of that might just be due to me loving The Jasmine Flower so much, though.

I'm thinking this will album will make the most interesting tournament we've had in awhile, actually. Even I don't know what my favorite song is yet.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 23:30

Milky Way
Beautiful Ride is my favourite song from this album.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 23:38

The Jasmine Flower
Cassander, please wait with the tournament a bit. For example, I have listened to the album only once so far, so it's quite impossible for me yet to decide which songs are better than others. It's all still so new!

But Beautiful Ride is my favorite from first listen, too.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 10:19

The Jasmine Flower
Also, the six acoustic versions on the DVD are great. Just Heather and her guitar and a microphone outdoors in Bermuda.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 10:20

Milky Way
The acoustic versions on the DVD are beautiful! But i prefer the album versions :)

Posted on: 2011/5/29 10:29

Storm
From close to Antwerp
I hope to get my copy tomorrow !!! In the newspaper it said it's a cross between Oyster and Siren, which is good.

Since Storm I didn't like her albums that much anymore, apart from a few songs.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 11:46

Milky Way
From South Africa
I cannot remember when last I posted anything on these forums...I think I made a comment about "the jasmine flower" way back when that was released. Maybe some of u might remember me way back from the days that i used to post all the time. I still come here often to read some topics...anyway I am very excited about the new album but I have'nt had the joy or pleasure of hearing it apart from some tracks...

So far I have heard the following songs from you-tube and I also managed to download 2 tracks for free.

1.Save a little piece of tomorrow (my favorite so far)
2.Do something that scares you
3.Burning to love (live)
4.Everything changes (live)
5.turn the compass around (live)
6.Higher ground

So i am extremely jealous of those who already can listen to the entire album and bonus tracks! Don't know when it will be available in SA?....maybe I will get the digital download once I get my salary!

I like all the above mentioned songs..SALPOT is my favorite and Higher ground is probably my least favorite track...it's slightly better than the original acoustic version tho.
Do something that scares u is kinda different and reminds me a little of I miss my sky.
Anyway thats my 2 cents worth, once I get the whole album I will give more substantial input.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 15:15

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

johandeman wrote:
I hope to get my copy tomorrow !!! In the newspaper it said it's a cross between Oyster and Siren, which is good.

Since Storm I didn't like her albums that much anymore, apart from a few songs.

I don't think it's anything like Oyster at all, to be honest. Sound-wise, Oyster probably is a good comparison. As might be South and Redbird. It's a little more rock than Redbird... more like Siren that way, but with some of the weirdness and pop of South.

I suppose it has the positivity of Redbird, but it's a little different... Redbird felt a little more stagnant... this feels active.

The best comparison, I still kinda think, might be to say it's the opposite of The Jasmine Flower.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 16:26

Blow
From Netherlands
i've listened to the Album the entired day now. And it gets better and better. My favorate songs are:
- beautiful ride
- the good ship moon
- until the race is run

Let the fall begin, so we can hear these songs live.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 17:30

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Cassander, please wait with the tournament a bit. For example, I have listened to the album only once so far, so it's quite impossible for me yet to decide which songs are better than others. It's all still so new!

But Beautiful Ride is my favorite from first listen, too.

Of course. The earliest I'd do such a thing would be a month out, but I might wait longer.

I think we can probably do a nice 16 song tournament, with the album plus bonus tracks. Since When The Music Stops is really a redbird bside, i think we can leave that one out.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 17:41

Milky Way
From South Africa
"since the music stopped"....was that song released as a bside to redbird?...never heard it before...if it was'nt released before then I don't see any reason why it can't be included in the tournament?

Posted on: 2011/5/29 18:12

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
"When The Music Stops" was recorded for Redbird but never released until now. It was included as a bonus track on 300 Days At Sea on German (and UK?) iTunes.

Posted on: 2011/5/29 18:16

Milky Way
From South Africa
...is it any good...a decent track?

Posted on: 2011/5/29 18:47

Milky Way
From Israel
I love the album. It made/makes me feel like there's something different about it.

I can't go into details right now but so far, my favorite song is "Until The Race Is Run", it's totally moving and gives me goosebumps every time.

Also, the album version of "Turn The Compass Round" is really really good and better than I expected!

Posted on: 2011/5/30 9:43

Oyster
Quote:

Heinz wrote:
Quote:

MiniCooper wrote:
Quote:

Heinz wrote:
I'm very disapointed

Why???

After the first listoning, I was disapointed. Thats's not really my last opinion. After the second listoning I am not longer disapointed. There are some pearls on this album.
I will tell you more in some days.

Just I got the deluxe edition. Very nice with some drwaings. And all Heather Fans will love the video! The deluxe edition is a must have.

:-H.

So, I like the first 6 songs from the album and some from the extra songs.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 13:39

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network