Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

The financial Euro crisis
HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Greece is coursing a lot pressure to the Euro. Other countries have to pay a lot of money now to stabilize the Euro. Greece never presented realistic money statuses.
Should they leave the European community? Should they be forced to? Great Britain never joined, so they are quite save.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 23:00

Re: The financial Euro crisis
The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

gerd wrote:
Greece is coursing a lot pressure to the Euro. Other countries have to pay a lot of money now to stabilize the Euro. Greece never presented realistic money statuses.
Should they leave the European community? Should they be forced to? Great Britain never joined, so they are quite save.

For sure Great Britain is part of the European community! They just don't have the Euro.

Posted on: 2010/4/28 23:02

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
They never joined to have the Euro, that is what I ment!

Posted on: 2010/4/28 23:05

Wonderlust
From everywhere
Then say what you mean

There is something to say about being able to kick countries out of the EU. I would klnow quite a list...However, there is also a veto right, anyone with a bit of brain could understand what will happen if a country would be tried to be voted out. Obviously the current EU treaties do not facilitate in both the fact that a country could be kicked out, and that a country cannot veto a measure against itself.

Since a lot of people (citizens/taxpayares, choose your applicable style of wording) in the EU are not quite positive to any form of democratic change in the EU, for example, ruling out the undemocratic veto-power, I do not see a positive change happening any time soon.

Now, Greece... they are suckers first class for sure.

But let's also not forget the role of German and French governments when the Dutch Duisenberg ruled the ECB. Both these governments have frequentely pushed over the financial criteria we have made appointments about with each other in the EMU. For example, no budget deficit higher then 3%. Both these countries have passed this on succesive years, leading to at least warnings, and maybe even a fine (not sure about it).

Now, these 2 countries proposed at that time, due to their own lack of urgency and sense of common criteria, to change and bend the criteria !

Yeah right !

Now, that is not so bad in good times and so on, but you see what you get, with flexing the rules we made with each other for SOME purpose. The weaker countries see that some big players play and flex the rules, and think on their own... if they can do it, and get away with it, why shouldn't we , with some creative accounting??

Again, as a strict Dutch man on this, I think that germany and France should stop bullying EU rules for their own sakes when it serves themselves.

Now we pay the price that other countries followed taht example.

I hope that finally Germany and France take a lesson from this, and stop being the arrogant big players making their own rules. For the sake of all of us.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 16:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network