Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

Windows 7
HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
There is a Beta Version now available for download which functions till August 1st. I have downladed it to test in a virtual machine.

Btw, is there anybody out there here, who works with Vista? Any bad experience?

Posted on: 2009/1/10 23:42

Re: Windows 7
Siren
From Oberhausen, Germany
I have Vista on my laptop. For me it works fine. Of course the difference to XP isn't very big, but I think this is not bad. It makes working with it easier.

A bit frustrating is that sometimes Vista needs a moment longer to open a file or a folder, but this happens not too often. And there are a few other little things that you only need to remember to do, but this isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

Posted on: 2009/1/11 14:49

Storm
From Schweden
The only problem I have with Vista is that it takes ages to start a computer. With my old XP laptop it starts really fast, I could start and restart this laptop faster than any other computer we have with Vista could even start.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 11:52

Wonderlust
From Scotland
Maybe Windows would work better if they stopped the constant updates? I hear that the code is now so convoluted and messy that this is why it takes longer and longer to boot-up. Maybe Microsoft will go nice and minimalist for us and make a new operating system, from scratch, with the smallest possible file size. There was once an online competition to design the best website in 100KB or less... something tiny, anyway. The results were intelligent and beautiful: it brought the true craftsmen-perfectionists outta the woodwork.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 0:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

South
I have Vista and I made it look like XP/2000 as much as I could, but there are still some differences. Well, a lot of differences. The control panel is different, everything has been renamed, and once you get into something in the control panel, everything is moved around. Many options that were available before seem to be gone. The control panel applets have a "web page" type of feel to them, which is probably good for Microsoft developers in the long run but it doesn't seem very nice or well-developed at the moment.

No one likes learning new things and I think this is the gist of why Vista has such a low opinion. Windows 7 won't have the same problem just by the nature that people will be used to the changes by the time 7 comes out.

As far as stability, there are some strange issues with extreme slowness when copying files, moving files, or emptying the recycle bin. A popup comes up showing how fast the file transfer is taking, and it's typically some really slow number like 8-20 Mb/sec. No file manipulation should ever go this slow on a modern computer.

After I updated my video drivers the computer would also lock up when I came back to the computer after leaving it on. I would move the mouse to bring the screen back on and it would work for about 30 seconds then lock up. I think I solved this just by having the computer go into suspend fully, but time will tell. I'd rather save the energy anyway.

The newest update of Firefox crashes for me kind of often in Vista, but that's probably Firefox's fault.

Vista has a lot of stuff in it that people will remember from the Windows 9x days, like the Media Center stuff that one could get for XP but only by sacrificing other things. This will be removed from 7.

The Widgets or Gadgets or whatever Microsoft calls them for Vista are not as good as the ones available from Google and Yahoo. I find that Yahoo has the best ones. But you probably only want this stuff if you have multiple monitors as they take up space.

So although Vista isn't perfect, it doesn't deserve as much criticism as it gets, either. It's very fast for me (except for when I'm manipulating files), but then I have all of the bells and whistles turned off and I have a pretty good computer.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 15:47

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
I've got the network running under Windows 7. Now I could test if heathernova.net works under Internet Explorer 8. It does!

Posted on: 2009/2/11 20:12

Wonderlust
From Philly
Vista is slow. The updates are slow too. A friend told me he tested out Windows 7 and that it improves on these features and runs much faster. I believe the setup is similar to Vista. I'm guessing there will be the same type of security vulnerabilities otherwise pretty much more or less.

Changing OS so frequently seems like it has become a bit overrated. At least with Vista and XP, apparently you can play older games. i.e. I was able to play Neverhood on my Vista, and a review said it'd play on XP too!

Posted on: 2009/2/16 14:35

South
After running Vista longer, I have to say that it is definitely a piece of junk. It has a lot of file management issues, which should be the cornerstone of any OS and Microsoft should have had this perfected (and really did) 25 years ago.

Moving files is very slow. After moving files, sometimes a copy of the file will show up in the old location a day or two later. Opening a folder that you have not opened for a long time will sometimes freeze the system for a minute as the OS tries to read the folder.

I did have to reinstall once due to OS freezing.

I am skeptical that Windows 7 would be any better. If you guys want a really good Windows OS, the best by a longshot is Windows FLP, which most people haven't heard of. It is Windows XP with everything unnecessary removed, and it installs in under 1 gig.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 1:56

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network