From close to Antwerp
Facebook is fun !

Everybody should be on it !

I'm Johan Bauwens (real name) on it.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 9:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Facebook is fun !
South
I barely use facebook now that people in the US can't play scrabulous on it. It's still a lot better than myspace.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:54

Wonderlust
From everywhere
I use Hyves. a very popular dutch variant on myspace, facebook and the zillion of other similar sites. (which i tried most of them - and never got convinced)

Some heathernova.net users are in hyves too...

Posted on: 2008/8/28 10:40

Wonderlust
From Scotland
I much prefer myspace because everyone on it loves music. Although I know far more 'friends' on facebook in 'real life', I prefer chatting to them in person rather than via participation in mindless marketing-harvesting 'apps' on facebook.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 14:19

South
I liked myspace well enough until I became a supervisor at work. The employees who were lazy would spend 100% of their time on myspace. With many of the things I had seen on there in the past I had started to feel like myspace was a bit low class, and this just sort of confirmed it. I ended up deleting my myspace account altogether.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 17:42

Wonderlust
From Scotland
Well, social networking sites and work don't mix, but low class? That's a bit like saying the internet itself is low class.

Posted on: 2008/8/28 21:25

South
From Groningen, Netherlands
as Jelger, i'm on Hyves. completely loving it

Posted on: 2008/8/28 22:06

Siren
From Rotterdam
I am on there too, still waiting for Cassander to approve my friend request

Posted on: 2008/8/28 22:47

South
Quote:

rouss wrote:
Well, social networking sites and work don't mix, but low class? That's a bit like saying the internet itself is low class.

Oh I disagree. In the US there are people on Myspace who can barely speak English. And they are hitting on each other on there left and right. I'm not sure where these people come from, but they're pretty far from my social circles and I'm not even classy myself.

Now, I'm not talking about everyone on Myspace, obviously. But over the years these types of people do seem to have become the majority.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 9:43

Wonderlust
From everywhere
you mean, they have become the majority of the buzz.

I know what you mean, but these kind of sites (in general) also make it possible to stick to your own 'circles' .

Posted on: 2008/8/29 10:32

South
I disagree with that too. Any kind of browsing at all around there brings you into the company of neanderthals.

For example, Myspace TV (Myspace videos) has some good stuff on it because it doesn't have the arbitrary 10-minute time limit that other video sites have. But if you watch a video there and then look at the comments people tend to leave ... sheesh.

Myspace has attracted the dumbest and nastiest people on the planet. This doesn't mean that everyone on there is dumb and nasty. But like in most places, the dumbest people have the loudest mouths. I've found it's best to stay away from people like this, even if it is guilt-by-association alone, I wouldn't like what I saw in the mirror if I stayed there.

Posted on: 2008/8/29 23:00

Redbird
From Here (to Eternity...)
Rous said:
"Well, social networking sites and work don't mix, but low class? That's a bit like saying the internet itself is low class."

What is work (and the workplace) if not a social networking site of its own...? How about office romances, competition, et all?

I can see the Internet itself as being low class, when everybody and his dog has access to the internet, and posts whatever flashes across their mind...

Remember Andy Warhol... well the Internet and broadband access for one and all has exacerbated that little quote of his exponentially...

Posted on: 2008/8/30 13:22

"The space between the stars, is something that you know... a billion miles of darkness left you feeling low..."

Redbird
From Here (to Eternity...)
BTW... since eBay became more "popular" and is advertised on television... its quality has also gone down... how many "power sellers" have 100% feedback?

Posted on: 2008/8/30 13:25

"The space between the stars, is something that you know... a billion miles of darkness left you feeling low..."

Wonderlust
From Philly
Johan, Rouss, XLV, and Jelger, please let me know if you're in the HN Facebook group!

Posted on: 2008/8/30 13:46

South
Quote:

Darren wrote:
BTW... since eBay became more "popular" and is advertised on television... its quality has also gone down... how many "power sellers" have 100% feedback?

Yeah that's true. The feedback thing on ebay has been abused.

I like how people get around posting items that no one really wants for more than a dollar or two ... charge $20 shipping!

Also don't get me wrong, I did love myspace for a very long time. I wrote something like 200 blog entries on it. When it came down that I needed to keep everything of my own completely private on it to keep people away from me, though, it lost its charm.

I think myspace is just one of those things that got too popular and with the wrong types of people.

Posted on: 2008/8/31 5:05

Wonderlust
From everywhere
Quote:
I like how people get around posting items that no one really wants for more than a dollar or two ... charge $20 shipping!

had something like that.. a (US) grille for my old Saab for 50 bucks.. then he wanted 130 bucks for shipping some plastic. no way. I told him i would be happy with USPS postal (should have been 20-35 USD, in that figure) , and never heard anything from him ever again...

Posted on: 2008/9/1 10:17

Storm
From close to Antwerp
I guess so.

Posted on: 2008/9/5 16:21

Wonderlust
From everywhere
@chessimprov:
Quote:
Johan, Rouss, XLV, and Jelger, please let me know if you're in the HN Facebook group!

i am now.

Posted on: 2008/11/17 23:05

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network