Lost Password?

Register now!

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Question for the English people
Redbird
From Here (to Eternity...)
Quote:
Bernd wrote:
Why do American people say "someone is married with three children", meaning this person is married to his wife and they have three children together? I mean, this person hasn't married his own three children, he has married his wife.

Or... her...

Posted on: 2008/3/11 8:59

"The space between the stars, is something that you know... a billion miles of darkness left you feeling low..."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
I wrote in Sabine's thread:
If you had a time machine, where would go like to go?

Bernd disagreed and suggested:

Don't you mean "when" instead of "where"? I mean, it's a TIME machine...

So which version seems to be better?

Posted on: 2008/3/11 12:34

The Jasmine Flower
The funny thing is, that some people might answer the "time machine" question with "ancient Rome" or "500 years ago in Spain" or such. So when I wished to be in "ancient Rome", for example, this wouldn't only be a time travel 2000 years back, but also a space travel from here to Rome (or at least behind the Limes), which is also quite a distance, as there was never the ancient Roman Empire where I live now.

In the time machines I know of, like the one in the first episode of Futurama or in the good old tv series with Mr. Rossi, or even in a Spongebob episode, or in the only science fiction movie I have ever seen twice, The Time Machine from 1960, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine_%281960_film%29), it was only a travel in time. There was never an indication that it was also a travel in space as well.

So in case Sabine answers the "time machine" question with "a few hundred years ago in Scotland", she needed to bring the time machine to Scotland first and use it there... as it is probably easier to bring it from Austria to Scotland now than it was a few hundred years ago...

Posted on: 2008/3/11 13:41

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
Hmm, yes. It depends on how sophisticated your time machine might be. If you just put in "Ancient Rome" as information, I guess any time machine would get rather confused, since "ancient" is very unspecific and Rome could be very the city only or the whole "Roman Empire".

So a good machine might want to know the exact point in time and space, e.g. Rome, 15th march 44 BC (in front of the Senat's house). And ***blopp*** there you are.

A very clever thing would be to travel into the future, where they have a far more sophisticated technology, catch a time machine from them and then travel back...

Posted on: 2008/3/11 13:53

Redbird
Quote:
Bene wrote:
I wrote in Sabine's thread:
If you had a time machine, where would go like to go?

Bernd disagreed and suggested:

Don't you mean "when" instead of "where"? I mean, it's a TIME machine...

So which version seems to be better?

Well, actually... in the Doctor Who series, "Time" is always intrinsically linked with a space or place IN Time...

Posted on: 2008/3/11 16:37

"The space between the stars, is something that you know... a billion miles of darkness left you feeling low..."

Redbird
Quote:
Bene wrote:
Hmm, yes. It depends on how sophisticated your time machine might be. If you just put in "Ancient Rome" as information, I guess any time machine would get rather confused, since "ancient" is very unspecific and Rome could be very the city only or the whole "Roman Empire".

So a good machine might want to know the exact point in time and space, e.g. Rome, 15th march 44 BC (in front of the Senat's house). And ***blopp*** there you are.

A very clever thing would be to travel into the future, where they have a far more sophisticated technology, catch a time machine from them and then travel back...

Interestingly... in terms of past and future is built into people's reasoning that things WERE primitive and in a future things are always more advanced or sophisticated... whereas in fact, the Romans brought us roads, underfloor central heating and most calenders are millenia old...

Posted on: 2008/3/11 16:40

Wonderlust
Quote:

Bernd wrote:

...as it is probably easier to bring it from Austria to Scotland now than it was a few hundred years ago...

As I've already left some impressions at Glasgow Airport I'd better refrain from returning with a time machine there.

But this time and space question is really interesting...

And regarding Darren's post: I'm always amazed how many things those ancient cultures already knew e.g. about astronomy, it's mind-boggling.

Posted on: 2008/3/11 18:05

Redbird
Quote:
57Arietis wrote:
And regarding Darren's post: I'm always amazed how many things those ancient cultures already knew e.g. about astronomy, it's mind-boggling.

We're not quite as advanced as we'd like to think we are... except at maybe being advanced in remote at removing people we don't like... a.k.a "wars"

Posted on: 2008/3/12 9:29

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
Yes, you are right, I guess I had too much Star Trek in mind - but as we know from the 'original' Time Machine by Wells, the future is everything less than "more sophisticated".

Posted on: 2008/3/12 11:54

Redbird
Our minds (intelligence) somehow presuppose that past times were more primitive than they are now (we're STILL warring after thousands of years...) and that a future time (usually in a distance we presently can't see) will see an end to the current environments we're used to living in...

I remember how "shocked" I was when I originally watched *color* footage of Hitler and his entourage parading through Germany... color has existed as long as we have... the thing that's changed (and continues to change) is our perception.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 14:40

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Darren wrote:
I remember how "shocked" I was when I originally watched *color* footage of Hitler and his entourage parading through Germany... color has existed as long as we have...

These colour Nazi pics are much more interesting to me, as the black/white pics, because

1) the Nazis actively used lots of colours for their propaganda: RED on their flags, BROWN as Nazi uniforms, and such. For example, think of all these displays of Nazi flags on particular days on the streets, like a parade. It looks much more shocking to see these pics in colour.

2) it shows me that the Nazi time isn't something from a very former time that can already be forgotten again; it shows me that is was only 60-70 years ago, it shows me that still many people live who can remember that time, it shows me that the victims were real victims like you and me, it shows me we have still to be aware that such times will never come back.

That's why I can't stand the movie Schindler's List. This movie loses 99% of its message to me, only because it was filmed in black/white.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 16:07

Redbird
Quote:
Bernd wrote:
That's why I can't stand the movie Schindler's List. This movie loses 99% of its message to me, only because it was filmed in black/white.

Well... one reason it was filmed in black and white, was to make it look more stark... making it in (modern day) colour would have meant it would have lost that graveness...

So, two ways of doing things, both opposites, make something more poignant.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 16:36

The Jasmine Flower
I'm really no cineast, but Schindler's List is the most overrated movie in history in my opinion. I was really shocked as I saw the movie a few years ago.

One good friend of mine, who is almost blind, said he couldn't watch it at all - due to the filming in black/white, so many visual information was lost for him, so in the true sense of the word, he couldn't watch the movie. With colorful movies, he never had such big problems.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 19:09

Redbird
A lot of Spielberg's creations are overrated...

Anyway, the point was the movie wasn't supposed to be colorful as it dealt with a stark and difficult period of history... buy your friend the book instead... seeing it in colour would have ruined it.

Posted on: 2008/3/15 21:27

The Jasmine Flower
I know many great movies about the Nazi time in colour, and the colour doesn't ruin them, not at all. An example: Gloomy Sunday. Three weeks ago I saw a movie about the German Resistance in Munich, and it was also in colour, and it was also a great movie.

But at Schindler's List, it was hard not to feel asleep...

Therefore Spielberg's decision "you cannot make a movie about such a bad time in colours" is arrogant, nothing else.

And it is a documentation, isn't it? Why not documentate the world as it was then, with colours?

Posted on: 2008/3/16 11:59

Redbird
...it's about perception...

What's the difference between black and white and color?

Posted on: 2008/3/16 12:26

The Jasmine Flower
Black and white looks like old postcards. Something from a time very long ago, maybe interesting for a few people, but you don't need really to think about it anymore, as it is past, gone, done, forgotten.

Colors look like life; in this case, like we all have to be aware that such times never come back again.

As as kid, when I saw the black/white pictures of Nazi Germany, I thought these times could never come back, as there weren't even colors at that time. As I saw the first color pics, I was shocked. They looked so realistic.

Posted on: 2008/3/16 16:55

Redbird
Ahhh... so you equate color with time

Posted on: 2008/3/16 17:01

The Jasmine Flower
Mh, not exactly.

I found some quotes by Spielberg that the movie was made almost completely in black/white to make it a "timeless movie", and as most pictures from the Nazi times are in black/white, he thought making Schindler's List also in black/white is "more authentic".

I do simply completely disagree. I equate black/white with past. There are so many original black/white pictures from Nazi Germany, we don't need fake black/white pics, with actors.

And this black/white filming made all people looking the same. I watched the movie and had similar viewing problems like my friend. I didn't know anymore if the scenes were playing inside or outside, at night or during the day, who was wearing Nazi uniforms or working uniforms... I needed some breaks to think about what I've seen (or not seen), too bad there weren't even commerical breaks allowed in the tv broadcast...

I think Schindler's List is still a movie that you have to watch at least once, but it was also the most disappointing movie I have ever seen. I know many, many movies about Nazi Germany who had probably only 1% of the money budget, but are still better and more moving. But well, it's Hollywood, so I should have known that the movie is bad...

Posted on: 2008/3/16 17:48

Storm
From Schweden
I really don't think it was bad. We had a holocaust survivor talking at our school, Mietek Groscher's his name, and he strongly recommended it cause it was very realistic.

Posted on: 2008/3/16 22:14

Redbird
Exactly... but I understand Bernd's viewpoint...

Posted on: 2008/3/16 22:25

The Jasmine Flower
Well, it has been a long time ago that I saw the movie, but Spielberg added some original scenes from the Contentration Camp to his movie, right? These scenes are authentic, of course. The most shocking pictures are still the original ones from 1933 till 1945. No movie ever can top that.

And even if the movie is realistic - I still know many movies about that time which are (in my opinion) better with less budget. Better acting, better story, no Hollywood. For example, I can strong recommend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_S ... _%E2%80%93_The_Final_Days

For me, as a German, it is a bit silly to see British/Irish people playing Germans, with being dubbed in German and such, as well. At least some minor roles were played by Germans.

Posted on: 2008/3/16 23:02

Wonderlust
From Scotland
"For me, as a German, it is a bit silly to see British/Irish people playing Germans, with being dubbed in German and such, as well. At least some minor roles were played by Germans."

I know the feeling Bernd.
One word: "Braveheart"

Posted on: 2008/3/16 23:53

Redbird
... starred in by Mel Gibson, not?
...an Aussie...

Posted on: 2008/3/17 1:07

The Jasmine Flower
Oh well, I know many German movies, filmed in Yugoslavia, with a French person playing a Native American. THAT'S funny!

Posted on: 2008/3/17 11:02

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
...and the German protagonist is played by an US-American...

Posted on: 2008/3/17 12:57

The Jasmine Flower

Posted on: 2008/3/17 13:09

The Jasmine Flower
Well, British people write "theatre" and American people write "theater".

But both write "circle". Why don't American people write "circel"?

Posted on: 2008/5/23 11:05

Wonderlust
From Scotland
because after a while, consistency defeats everyone

Posted on: 2008/6/16 21:13

South
English wasn't standardized until after the US had split off from England. Noah Webster started the standardization process in the US at about the time of the American Revolution, and England standardized spelling some time after that.

Webster had the view that English spelling and grammar was being destroyed by the British aristocracy and in creating his work he was trying to reflect what everyday English-speakers were spelling and sounding like.

Webster was one of the many inventive, kind, motivated, and egalitarian men in the US at the time of the revolution.

Posted on: 2008/6/16 21:59

Wonderlust
From Scotland
Were they in some way connected with the Enlightenment, that movement chiefly represented by the likes of David Hume and Adam Smith in Edinburgh?
I'm thinking in particular of one of the first English dictionaries, still updated to this day called Chambers, which was (and is) published in Edinburgh.
After all, when America first won its independence, it was doing so from the situation of being a British colony.

Posted on: 2008/6/17 21:19

South
Yes. I think you also see the beginning of the scientific revolution going on, though it took another 100 years for that to really get going.

Posted on: 2008/6/18 3:05

The Jasmine Flower
Is there any English word that rhymes with "poetry"?

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:08

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
"Dorothee"

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:49

Redbird
Can't think of any word that specifically rhymes with "poetry" although as Bene alludes to, there are plenty of words with ending similar...

Posted on: 2008/6/23 14:39

Wonderlust
From Scotland
bardolatry
... idolatry, monolatry, zoolatry, sophistry, ecclesiolatry, heliolatry, bibliolatry

Posted on: 2008/6/23 21:08

Redbird

I did think of telemetry

Posted on: 2008/6/23 21:31

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
"christmas tree"

Posted on: 2008/6/24 9:51

Storm
From Schweden
No English word rhymes with silver either.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 14:48

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
Is there a noun for written work a pupil has to do because he did not behave during the lesson. So e.g. if you have to write three pages about "Why I should not scream in class" or so?

In German it is called "Strafarbeit" ('punishment work') and the collegue and I who were looking for an English synonym just remembered "extra work" - but this was sometimes also the noun for something you did freely 8e.g. "I did not only collect 20 leaves from our garden, but also 20 nuts" or so...).

So is there a special name for having to do something for discipline reasons?

Posted on: 2008/11/3 15:43

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network