Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

(1) 2 »

Order The Redbird Songs!
The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Make a list of the songs on Redbird from your most favorite to least favorite.

Like so:

01 I Miss My Sky
02 Motherland
03 Overturned
04 The Sun Will Always Rise
05 Wicked Game
--------------
06 Redbird
07 This Body
08 Mesmerized
09 Welcome
10 Singing You Through
11 Done Drifting
12 A Way To Live

The dividing line represents a break between the songs I'd say I like and the ones I wouldn't say that about.

Posted on: 2005/8/17 13:46

Re: Order The Redbird Songs!
The Jasmine Flower
excellent songs:
01 Singing You Through
02 The Sun Will Always Rise

very good:
03 Mesmerized
04 Motherland
05 Redbird
06 I Miss My Sky

good:
07 Done Drifting
08 This Body

quite good:
09 Overturned
10 A Way To Live

weak:
11 Welcome

poor:
12 Wicked Game

Posted on: 2005/8/17 13:57

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
So your dividing line would be between 10 and 11, I guess.

Posted on: 2005/8/17 13:59

The Jasmine Flower
yes

Posted on: 2005/8/17 14:04

Heather Frith E.P.
so far ...

mesmerized
motherland
the sun will always rise
redbird
welcome
singing your through
i miss my sky
overturned
done drifting
a way to live
wicked game
this body

Posted on: 2005/8/17 20:00

Heather Frith E.P.
so far ...

mesmerized
motherland
the sun will always rise
redbird
welcome
singing your through
i miss my sky
overturned
done drifting
a way to live
wicked game
this body

Posted on: 2005/8/17 20:00

Storm
From Schweden
for me:

A Way To Live
Rebird
Motherland
Mesmerized
I Miss My Sky
Wicked Game
This Body
Done Drifting
Welcome
Singing You Through
The Sun Will Always Shine
Overturned

ps: the only song I don't like is Overturned. Her voice sounds so childish on the refrain and the guitars are annoying for me.

Posted on: 2005/8/17 20:07

Siren
From California
Motherland
I Miss My Sky
Mesmerized
The Sun Will Always Rise
Overturned
Rebird
Singing You Through
Done Drifting
Welcome
This Body
A Way To Live
Wicked Game

My 2 cents about the songs :

Motherland : I love this one, it is catchy, simple, moving, all what I like with Heather is here

IMMS : No doubt is it the best text of the album, especially the 3rd verse ("Here from below the clouds are shadows") which is great. I like this kind of talk at the beginning, like she was reading a diary or something, but it burns the intensity of the song at the end. I have the strange feeling this song could have been a little better (and then could have reached the top-level heather songs). And it miss a guitar solo at the end, we can hear 4 or 5 notes at the end which sounds so good and could have been
the beginning of a great musical end.

Mesmerized : I like the drums on this one, the rythm, the lyrics goes well with the music, it's great

TSWAR : The lyrics are a bit conventional of course but I like it anyway, lot of feelings here. I don't like too much when she forces on her voice. It may have been better to keep her voice more quiet. The end of the song when she makes her voice sweet is sooooo beautiful. If I was producer, I would have invested strings sessions on this one rather than Wicked Game...

Overturned : A good song with loud guitars I love when the back voice tells "Yeah you really got me", that makes me laugh. The lyrics are pretty descent and I don't find the music boring (imho) but once again a good guitar solo at the end would have been better than this mess of sounds, which ruin a little bit the end of the song.

Redbird : I like the music a lot, the lyrics could have been better (even keeping the main idea of the song). This is however one of the best produced songs of the album, the 1st musical bridge is great.

SYT : In the stream of the texts like H&S, it touches me because it reminds me how Heather's music was a support (should I say my only support) during hard times a few years ago. I don't like her high pitched voice in the middle of the song though. She could have done this once at the end, why not, but here, it breaks the melody I think. The production is quite unwaited and good.

Done drifting : I like it, but it has nothing particulary original or moving, so it stays a little bit below the other, which is too bad because it's a good song at all.

Welcome : I would have probably liked it better if is was new, but it's not, so... Moreover the song is not particulary interesting, but I like the drums and it throws good energy, it's nice to listen from time to time.

This body : It's the same rhytm than "All I need" and I'm not a big fan of this. The lyrics are good (although very Heather-like) but the melody is below the rest of the album. The little rise of strings in the middle is great though.

AWTL : Can't say I don't like it, but they tried to hide the lack of melody behind this load of choirs and orchestra, and it doesn't make it however. It leaves the feeling of waste : Why did they spent so much on that songs which is not that great ? I have the feeling this song may have been better just with a quiet voice and a simple guitar.

Wicked Game : Why the hell did she put it on the album ?? It would have done a decent b-side, not more. I'm not particulary fan of the original version, and this one brings nothing. Even Heather's voice doesn't succeed to bring a little piece of emotion or life in this song.
This is boriiiiiiing. I hope she won't sing it on stage.
The only positive point is that we (for once) have a decent electric guitar sound in Heather production. But it's just a copy of the original song. When I think she let besides some of her own songs for this one, I'm rather angry.

Posted on: 2005/8/17 22:16

Storm
From Schweden
Quote:

IMMS : And it miss a guitar solo at the end, we can hear 4 or 5 notes at the end which sounds so good and could have been

I was thinking just the same thing! This song could have been better if the guitar solo were longer. And I just have to say ...couldn't they have used a better violinist?

Quote:

AWTL : Can't say I don't like it, but they tried to hide the lack of melody behind this load of choirs and orchestra, and it doesn't make it however. It leaves the feeling of waste : Why did they spent so much on that songs which is not that great ? I have the feeling this song may have been better just with a quiet voice and a simple guitar.

Actually, the reason I love this song is so much is because of the piano (I always get the feeling like I'm back on that boat in Thailand with the wind zooming by and the sun is shining but what the hey) And the choir is just great on it.

Funny how different we can think and still so alike.

Posted on: 2005/8/18 12:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

Christina wrote:
Quote:

IMMS : And it miss a guitar solo at the end, we can hear 4 or 5 notes at the end which sounds so good and could have been

I was thinking just the same thing! This song could have been better if the guitar solo were longer. And I just have to say ...couldn't they have used a better violinist?

I just wish they turned up the volume of the violin so it had some semblance of being a second voice rather than just a background, kinda like Nadia's cello on many songs.

I sure hope Nadia comes back... I was listening to some stupid "guy and an acoustic guitar" song on the radio, and it was really bad. Then came a cello solo in it, but it was terrible. It made me appreciate Nadia as a cellist. I love the cello in pop/rock music, but only if it's done well.

Posted on: 2005/8/18 13:30

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

rainman wrote:

My 2 cents about the songs :

I've been meaning to do this... you beat me to it

Quote:

IMMS : No doubt is it the best text of the album, especially the 3rd verse ("Here from below the clouds are shadows") which is great. I like this kind of talk at the beginning, like she was reading a diary or something, but it burns the intensity of the song at the end. I have the strange feeling this song could have been a little better (and then could have reached the top-level heather songs). And it miss a guitar solo at the end, we can hear 4 or 5 notes at the end which sounds so good and could have been

Well, to some degree, I agree with you, but I also think I see what Heather wouldn't want to put this in. The song builds up until the second chorus, so you can't really put it before that. Then it acts like it's going into a solo but then goes into a break instead. You can't expand this into a full solo becuase it'd just sap the strength out of the chorus. Perhaps you could extend the guitar things here a little though. But then after the break, which is the climax of the song, there isn't really much room for a solo. After "And my hope lives on...", you have to go into the chorus for the contrast. And it has to be quiet.

This song is about being defeated by nature/life. It's about being helpless. The climax there serves to highlight the futility of the human condition... no matter how defiant we are, we all could have our hopes and dreams smashed. So putting a rocking guitar solo after the chorus would take too much away from that. I just don't see any place for it.

Quote:

Overturned : A good song with loud guitars I love when the back voice tells "Yeah you really got me", that makes me laugh. The lyrics are pretty descent and I don't find the music boring (imho) but once again a good guitar solo at the end would have been better than this mess of sounds, which ruin a little bit the end of the song.

Glad someone else likes this song... I love the sound and feel of it... reminds me a bit of Paint The World and Virus of the Mind. And I also love the "yeah you really got me"! I don't think this song is the dark love song she described, but it's a fun song anyway. Also love the second verse... has a great feel and a great end "And love's so slow to burn". Alas, however, she didnt really image the idea of being caught in a sunset and brought under with it... it's a cool idea, but it doesnt really come through or symbolize anything.

Quote:

Redbird : I like the music a lot, the lyrics could have been better (even keeping the main idea of the song). This is however one of the best produced songs of the album, the 1st musical bridge is great.

Don't like the music or production at all on this one... it sounds so boring. The instrumental parts do nothing for me.

Quote:

SYT : In the stream of the texts like H&S, it touches me because it reminds me how Heather's music was a support (should I say my only support) during hard times a few years ago. I don't like her high pitched voice in the middle of the song though. She could have done this once at the end, why not, but here, it breaks the melody I think. The production is quite unwaited and good.

I think the music is ok here. It's the lyrics that kill the song to me. I'm a big proponent of linking H&S in with some other relationship songs from South and Storm (Talk To Me, Help Me Be Good To You, Storm, Everytime), but I'm not so sure this fits. This feels more like it was written to a friend than the guy in those songs. I think it's more like I Wanna Be Your Light or something.

Posted on: 2005/8/18 13:46

Siren
From California
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
So putting a rocking guitar solo after the chorus would take too much away from that. I just don't see any place for it.

I agree with you, but I would have put the solo at the end of the song, the last time when she sing "up to heaven" (4:44), there's the guitar line (which is great buy the way on this song) which breaks to a few notes before the end of the song, and this could have been continued to a solo on the chorus chords, and finish just like it does, with Heather singing "I miss my sky... I miss my sky".
It would have been

Quote:
Alas, however, she didnt really image the idea of being caught in a sunset and brought under with it... it's a cool idea, but it doesnt really come through or symbolize anything.

For me it symbolize the red light, which cam be related to love.

Quote:
but I'm not so sure this fits. This feels more like it was written to a friend than the guy in those songs. I think it's more like I Wanna Be Your Light or something.

That's funny, for me it's the contrary : "I wanna be your light" is written for a lover, and "Heart & Shoulder" more for a friend. Just like SYT.

Posted on: 2005/8/18 21:56

Milky Way
From UK/Ireland
Finally received my copy of Redbird (!!!); after the first complete listen I was somewhat disappointed - don't get me wrong, I liked it but I just expected something more... However, after 3 days of having my CD player on constant repeat, I have to say I think it's a great album; there are some real beautiful textures on there, not to mention Heather's usual wonderful vocal delivery. And so to the songs; for now tops is Motherland, but that may change - I really like all the songs on the album, including her take on the Chris Isaak track - that said, one song just doesn't work for me and that's Overturned; don't like the Beatles vibe on there...

Motherland
I Miss My Sky
Redbird
Done Drifting
Mesmerized
The Sun Will Always Rise
A Way To Live
Welcome
This Body
Singing You Through
Wicked Game
----------
Overturned

Also, there are several errors and omissions in the CD booklet for the lyrics, and some of the duration timings on the back cover are also not right

Posted on: 2005/8/22 14:32

Storm
From close to Antwerp
Motherland
I miss my sky
Mesmerized
Wicked game
This body
Welcome

all the rest

Posted on: 2005/8/23 16:41

Siren
From England
1. I miss my sky.
2. Motherland.
3. Done drifting.
4. Overturned.
5. Mesmerized.
6. Singing you through.
8. The sun will always rise.
9. A way to live.
10. This body.

------Songs I like, but aren't as good;
11. Welcome
12. Wicked game.

I do like the cover of Wicked game, but there are times where I really don't.

Posted on: 2005/10/8 21:51

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

lizphairlover wrote:
6. Singing you through.

And 7. Redbird?

Posted on: 2005/10/8 22:17

Siren
From England
Quote:

bernd wrote:
Quote:

lizphairlover wrote:
6. Singing you through.

And 7. Redbird?

Ooops I forgot that one. Hmm, maybe. I think I'll re-do them.

Ok, here goes;

1. I miss my sky. - Love.
2. Motherland. - Love.
3. Done drifting. - Love.
4. Overturned. - Love.
5. Mesmerized. - Really like
6. Singing you through. - Really Like.
7. The sun will always rise. - Really Like.
8. Redbird. - Really like.
9. A way to live - Really like.
10. This body. - Like.
11. Welcome - Like.
12. Wicked game. - Am really not sure about.

Posted on: 2005/10/9 0:10

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
It is amazing how much people put Motherland and I Miss My Sky at the top... well, amazing that most of us agree. In my opinion, they are the only two truly good songs on the album, but most of you seem to rank them both at the top 2 as well. I think a Redbird tournament might be a bit boring... it'd naturally lead to a certain final 2 just like the Storm tournament did... both albums have very clear top twos.

Posted on: 2005/10/9 2:18

Siren
From England
"Overturned" and "Done drifting" keep growing on me more and more, and I think I might like them better than "Motherland" in the future. Do you not like "Done drifting"? I think she works with the choir on that track really well. Better than on "A way to live". But I like that song too.

Posted on: 2005/10/9 2:44

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

lizphairlover wrote:
"Overturned" and "Done drifting" keep growing on me more and more, and I think I might like them better than "Motherland" in the future. Do you not like "Done drifting"? I think she works with the choir on that track really well. Better than on "A way to live". But I like that song too.

I have nothing against choirs, but I think A Way To Live and Done Drifting are the two worst songs on the album, and two of her worst songs ever. Musically they are pretty bland (Done Drifting is somewhat interesting musically) and lyrically not nearly as good as she is capable of.

Overturned, however, is fun, and has an extremely good second verse. Certainly my third favorite. It's a little flawed in the rest of the song, but very enjoyable to listen to. Easily my third favorite of the album.

Posted on: 2005/10/9 2:50

Edited by Cassander on 2005/10/9 3:15:14

Siren
From England
I think Heather can write much much much much better than "Done drifting", but I do really like it.

Posted on: 2005/10/9 2:55

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Well, I want to like it. I think the way she does the verses and choruses is neat.. the melody and what not of the choruses sounds pretty good, actually. But like many Redbird songs, the lyrics really sink it for me. If I don't pay too much attention to the words, it's not so bad to listen to. I was probably too harsh just now, but oh well.

Posted on: 2005/10/9 3:02

Siren
From England
It sort of reminds me of Tori's "Mother Revoloution" only that's a better song.

I like it because there's this really good hook when the choir are doing the harmonies of "I'm ready for living..."

Posted on: 2005/10/9 3:04

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
It is amazing how much people put Motherland and I Miss My Sky at the top... well, amazing that most of us agree.

Most, not all.

Posted on: 2005/10/9 9:30

Oyster
From Minnesota
1. Motherland
2. A Way to Live
3. Singing You Through
4. I Miss My Sky (Amelia Earhart’s Last Days)
5. Mesmerised
6. The Sun Will Always Rise
7. This Body
8. Overturned
9. Wicked Game
10. Redbird
11. Done Drifting

I don’t consider “Welcome” to be part of this. It’s very much a South song, so...yeah.

Posted on: 2005/10/9 17:21

Milky Way
From South Africa
Hi i am new here, just joined yesterday, so first a little introduction, I am from South-Africa, i am and always will be a huge Heather fan, i own all the studio albums and personally believe that "Redbird" is the best thing Heather has done since "oyster".
I also really love Polly Jean Harvey, Tori Amos and Sinead O'Connor amongst others, I do prefer female singers to male,
maybe it's cause i'm gay...lol

Anyway back to the topic, here's how i would order them..

1. I miss my sky
2. The sun will always rise
3. Mesmerized
4. Overturned
5. This body
6. Motherland
7. Wicked game
8. Redbird
9. A way to live
------------------
10. Singing you through
11. Done drifting
12. Welcome

I like the songs beneath the line as well, just not as much as the one's on top...

Posted on: 2005/10/26 13:15

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Welcome, louis.

Posted on: 2005/10/26 13:18

Milky Way
From South Africa
hi there Cassander!! , went to your website the other day, interesting...

Posted on: 2005/10/26 13:34

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

louis wrote:

What website? I don't have a website...

Oh, my livejournal?

Posted on: 2005/10/26 17:49

Blow
From United States
1.) Redbird (For me it's a classic. I love this song)
2.) Motherland
3.) Mesmerized
4.) This Body (I'm in the minority...I think its a great song)
5.) Wicked Game
6.) Done Drifting
7.) I Miss My Sky
8.) A way to Live
9.) Welcome (I do prefer the way she played it live better though)
10.) The Sun will always Rise
11.) Singing you Through
12.) Overturned

Posted on: 2005/10/27 3:27

Siren
From England
Quote:

rockpile88 wrote:
1.) Redbird (For me it's a classic. I love this song)

I have to say, I really am warming to that song.

I say it should have been a aural landscape, like Aquamarine though. But louder.

I like how she sings "The blood red rubies..."

Posted on: 2005/10/27 3:50

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
From her description of it before it came out, Redbird sounded like it was going to be great.

Posted on: 2005/10/27 13:10

Milky Way
From South Africa
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
Quote:

louis wrote:

What website? I don't have a website...

Oh, my livejournal?

yeah it was called the cassander scratching post or something like that i think....anyway I just browsed threw
it, i remember u saying that "oyster" is the best album by any artist ever and i must say that i fully agree!!There was something about gay mariages that also caught my attention...

But yeah I kinda like the song redbird quite a bit tho, I belive it is supposed to be like a texture or a landscape, something similar to aquamarine like lizphairlover mentioned...
I never really thought that aquamarine was all that everyone cracked it up to be tho.. there was no real climax to it(in my opinion), still it's a very interesting track I think...but i prefer redbird...

Posted on: 2005/10/28 16:57

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

louis wrote:

yeah it was called the cassander scratching post or something like that i think....anyway I just browsed threw
it, i remember u saying that "oyster" is the best album by any artist ever and i must say that i fully agree!!There was something about gay mariages that also caught my attention...

Yeah, that's my livejournal. I don't update it very often and it's not really that useful. Only a few people read it at all. But it's got a mix of HN, furry, movies/videogames, and other stuff. Mostly it sucks and doesnt have anything important though.

Quote:

But yeah I kinda like the song redbird quite a bit tho, I belive it is supposed to be like a texture or a landscape, something similar to aquamarine like lizphairlover mentioned...
I never really thought that aquamarine was all that everyone cracked it up to be tho.. there was no real climax to it(in my opinion), still it's a very interesting track I think...but i prefer redbird...

Well, I don't think Redbird works at all as a mood song. The music is boring and the lyrics mostly don't measure up either. *shrugs* It's very sad that this is not one of the worst songs on the album... on any other HN album, it would be. Aquamarine is far better to my ear... the live versions were even better where you could hear a seagull in the synth/qchord noise and other ocean sounds. It's a seductive little track. Very Heather.

Posted on: 2005/10/28 17:54

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Time for some more thread necromancy!

I Miss My Sky ******

Motherland ****

Overturned ***½

The Sun Will Always Rise ***
This Body ***
Redbird ***

Singing You Through **½
Mesmerized **½

Welcome **
Wicked Game **

Done Drifting *½

A Way To Live ½

-----

Did you know Redbird was written closer in time to Oyster than Pearl? It's been almost 15 years since Redbird. Feels like yesterday.

Listening to the album again, my feelings haven't changed a whole lot. My top four are all the same, though I think I enjoy Redbird and This Body a little more now and Wicked game less.

Seriously, though, was this album rushed? Lack of time in the studio? Why bring Welcome back from U.S. South? It works much better acoustic and live, I guess, but really? And why on earth is Wicked Game on this album??? Why did they not do _anything_ differently from the original? It's fine, I guess, but why? She has sooooo many better and more interesting covers.

I'll hand I Miss My Sky five stars and put it in the same category as Island and Sugar. It's really, really, really good and I have always enjoyed it even when she played it every concert. Kinda like Island.

The lyrics and melodies on this album in general, though, just don't meet Heather's normal standards as I see it. I feel like something happened. At least Redbird (the song) has some interesting imagery on it which I appreciate. Also a nice heady musical background even if it's a bit too restful for the subject matter. I always remember hearing the intro to Ruby Red played before it at shows and pretty much all of us are always disappointed it's not actually Ruby Red itself. But I find it an enjoyable song now.

The order of the tracks kinda lines up with Pearl except with two extra ones at the bottom - take out Done Drifting and A Way To Live and they seem comparable for me.

I do kinda wish my feelings about this had changed more than they have but it is what it is.

Will Overturned ever by played live? I understand I'm the world's biggest fan of the song and it's not near the top for anyone else but just once it would be nice to hear it live. Berit plays guitar on the album for crying out loud.

I want to like "Singing You Through". It's pretty. "I'll be there, like a bird, singing you through" is a good line and also really pretty. The rest of the lyrics, though, just don't really seem to work for me. I wish they were more evocative.

Also: how on earth did When The Music Stops get cut from this record???

[Edited to remove stuff about A Way To Live. I don't really need to into that again after all these years. It is what it is.]

Posted on: 7/11 3:33

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
Time for some more thread necromancy!

I Miss My Sky ******

Six stars?!

Posted on: 7/11 7:24

The Jasmine Flower
Singing You Through *****
The Sun Will Always Rise *****

Welcome *
Wicked Game

Posted on: 7/11 7:28

Wonderlust
I miss my sky (outstanding! And I love the violin in it; this song crys out for strings, imo.)

Mesmerized, Singing you through

Done drifting (average, especially the lyrics, but I love the absolutely beautiful violin-piano-guitar version)
Motherland, Redbird, Welcome (mainstream song, but a good one), The sun will always rise
Overturned
This body (I like the theme of it, music is average)
A way to live, Wicked game (I liked Chris Isaak’s version a lot when it was released, but got tired of it and Heather’s cover is pretty close to the original)

Don’t understand either, why When the music stops was taken off. I really like it a lot; much, much better than most of the songs on Redbird.

Posted on: 7/11 9:45

HNN Forums Admin
From France
I Miss My Sky

Redbird
Overturned
Singing You Through

----------

Done Drifting
This Body
Mesmerized
Wicked Game

A Way To Live
Welcome
Motherland
The Sun Will Always Rise

There's something tiring something tiring for my ears in the album sounds. The arrangements. Too much echo, too much high notes and sounds, i don't know.

Posted on: 7/11 11:37

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
That was supposed to be five stars (10/10). That's the top of the scale. My first five star song when going back through, though the distinction is pretty arbitrary. Four and a half and five are all my favorite songs and I can't get tired of them. Four are really great too. Three and a half i really like. Three i enjoy. Two and a half i enjoy when fresh or in the right mood. Two I can find some things to enjoy even if maybe not the whole song. One and a half maybe I don't enjoy much but maybe there's something. One is not really good I don't think. One half is The Way It Feels. I thought I was going to give it one star like He's Spiritual but no. I'm glad some people enjoy it but it's not for me.

I could put a poll up about which is the worst rhyme, iron lungs and separate tongues or higher/desire. Novel but distracting mixed metaphor or tired forced pop rhyme. Both in prominent positions.

At least both tongue and lung are both body parts being used metaphorically but they're both bad metaphors. Sorry. I don't really want to tear this song apart. Imagine if someone did the to one of my poems - I'm sure I've written far worse.

But how did this make in on the album and not When The Music Stops???

For what it's worth on the recent podcast, Heather says she regrets not doing Wicked Game in a more distinct and original way.

Posted on: 7/11 18:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network