Login
Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

(Redbird) New! Explanations From Heather For All 12 Songs
The Jasmine Flower
From usa
I found this on the LiveJournal Heather Nova group. Thanks to Tilly (ceramicstars) for this! I have no idea the original source.

I can confirm that some of the previously unreleased information in here is accurate, so I am reasonably sure that this is legit.

Also, I can confirm that Welcome is in fact the same exact recording as appeard on South. Only about 4 seconds of silence were cut at the end.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/ ... thedoll/2124.html?#cutid1

Welcome
I had just written songs for a number of other artists (Afro Celt Sound System, ATB, Eskobar, etc.) and the idea of something with Dido came up, so we did it by email. It's the oldest song on the album and was released in the US and I had many requests from European-based fans to put it on an album. I like the energy of the song and thought that it would fit well as an opener on this album.

I Miss My Sky
Someone recently told me about the theory that Amelia Earhart actually crash landed on a tiny deserted atoll rather than into the sea and that she and her navigator lived as castaways for years without, of course, ever being found. Artifacts and debris have been found to back this up. I was so taken with this idea that I wrote I Miss My Sky imagining I was her. I tried to imagine her state of mind, her emotions, the details of her life in such a situation. It is probably my favourite song on the record. I also was lucky enough to have a fantastic violinist, Sophie Solomon, play on the song. I used to play the violin, and really felt inspired by the emotion that seemed to sing from Sophie's violin.

Motherland
I have recently had the most life-altering experience I can imagine -- becoming a mother. No one can really prepare you for the intensity of it, the immense love but also the vulnerability that comes with it, the terrible fear, and, of course, the joy. All wrapped up in this tiny package...

Redbird
This is a song about the underlying current of our sexuality, the mystery of it. With the song Redbird, I wanted to make a song that had the colour red running sort of subliminally throughout it. So when you hear it, you are imagining red. Red is such a symbolically powerful colour; the colour of love and passion, the colour of fire, and of course the colour of blood -- of life and death.

Done Driftin'
A spiritual moment! It's about finding peace inside the chaos, realising you can stop searching and find joy in what's in front of you. I love the hypnotic feel of the wurlitzer and it was exciting to work with gospel singers. They added a whole other dimension to the track.

Overturned
I always love doing a little spoken word over loud guitars, mixing poetry with rock 'n' roll. This is a dark story about falling in love -- dazzled by someone who is maybe the wrong person: "caught in your sunset, overturned". Dazzled by the brightness of the sun, but it's going down.

Wicked Game
Every now and then, I like to do a cover. I like to take a man's song and sing it so that it takes on a different meaning. I have always loved this song. We tried a lot of different arrangements, but in the end it seemed that sticking close to Chris Isaak's original one suited it best.

Mesmerised
I wanted this song to sound euphoric. Lots of strings!

Singing You Through
The most acoustic song on the record... stripped right down. A simple song about being there for someone in trouble.

A Way to Live
I wanted this one to feel almost orchestral rather than like rock music. The gospel choir lifts it to new heights. It is a song about how we, as the human race, seem to find it so difficult to get along. If we looked closer, we would see that we are all so similar. Forgiveness and compassion would heal and put an end to war (if only it was that simple!).

This Body
The power of a woman's body. The woman's body should be worshipped! Not when it is a perfect 10 by our cultural standards, but when it has gone through life and performed its feats -- like producing a child. It is so fucking miraculous!

The Sun Will Always Rise
Obviously a lullaby for my son. Sorry if you find it cheesy. If you have a child, you will get it!

Posted on: 2005/7/3 14:19

Re: (Redbird) New! Explanations From Heather For All 12 Songs
The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Ah, this is from heathernova.com, at least partially. There are some differences, such as a more expanded explanation of The Sun Will Always Rise in the livejournal version.

Here's the official site's version:

Heather Nova on the songs of Redbird

Welcome
i had just written songs for a number of other artists (afro celt sound system, ATB , eskobar etc.) and the idea of something with dido came up, so we did it by email. tt's the oldest song on the album and was released in the US and i had many requests from european-based fans to put it on an album. i like the energy of the song and thought that it would fit well as an opener on this album

I Miss My Sky
someone recently told me about the theory that amelia earhart actually crash landed on a tiny deserted atoll rather than into the sea and that she and her navigator lived as castaways for years without of course ever being found. artifacts and debris have been found to back this up. i was so taken with this idea that i wrote i miss my sky imagining i was her. i tried to imagine her state of mind, her emotions, the details of her life in such a situation. it is probably my favourite song on the record.
i also was lucky enough to have a fantastic violinist, sophie solomon, play on the song. i used to play the violin, and really felt inspired by the emotion that seemed to sing from sophie's violin

Motherland
i have recently had the most life altering experience i can imagine - becoming a mother. no one can really prepare you for the intensity of it - the immense love but also the vulnerability that comes with it. the terrible fear and of course the joy. all wrapped up in this tiny package...

Redbird
this is a song about the underlying current of our sexuality, the mystery of it. with the song redbird i wanted to make a song that had the colour red running sort of subliminally throughout it. so when you hear it you are imagining red. red is such a symbollically powerful colour - the colour of love and passion, the colour of fire, and of course the colour of blood - of life and death.

Done Driftin'
a spiritual moment! it's about finding peace inside the chaos. realising you can stop searching and find joy in what's in front of you. i love the hypnotic feel of the wurlitzer and it was exciting to work with gospel singers. they added a whole other dimension to the track.

Overturned
i always love doing a little spoken word over loud guitars. mixing poetry with rock'n'roll. this is a dark story about falling in love - dazzled by someone who is maybe the wrong person: "caught in your sunset, overturned". dazzled by the brightness of the sun, but it's going down.

Wicked Game
every now and then i like to do a cover. i like to take a man's song and sing it so that it takes on a different meaning. i have always loved this song. we tried a lot of different arrangements but in the end it seemed that sticking close to chris isaak's original one suited it best.

Mesmerised
i wanted this song to sound euphoric. lots of strings!

Singing You Through
the most acoustic song on the record. stripped right down. a simple song about being there for someone in trouble.

A Way to Live
i wanted this one to feel almost orchestral rather than like rock music. the gospel choir lifts it to new heights. it is a song about how we as the human race seem to find it so difficult to get along. if we looked closer we would see that we are all so similar. forgiveness and compassion would heal and put an end to war (if only it was that simple!).

This Body
the power of a woman's body. the woman's body should be worshipped! not when it is a perfect 10 by our cultural standards but when it has gone through life and performed its feats - like producing a child. it is so fucking miraculous!

The Sun Will Always Rise
a lullaby for my son.

Posted on: 2005/7/3 14:24

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
Ah, this is from heathernova.com, at least partially. There are some differences, such as a more expanded explanation of The Sun Will Always Rise in the livejournal version.

Here's the official site's version:

The livejournal versions seems to be the version, that was on heathernova.com a few days ago. I wonder why they changed the official version...

Posted on: 2005/7/3 16:37

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Shouldn't this be in the news section?

Posted on: 2005/7/4 2:14

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network