Posted on: 2007/2/22 14:49

Re: What book have you read recently?
South
From France
Quote:

RationalDreamer wrote:
Quote:

Julie wrote:
I read A Room Of One's Own by Virginia Woolf and i'm amazed!

Read it, Annika?

Not yet, I'm reading "A home at the end of the world" by Michael Cunningham at the moment. Have you read any MC books?

Nope! But the name is familiar.

Now reading Haruki Murakami's Dance Dance Dance. That guy rocks! He creates an atmosphere so easily, you could pretend you're part of the story. Same with with all of his books that i read.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 18:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

South
From France
Quote:

Anke wrote:
currently i'm reading studying books, but nothing very much interesting to mention here, so i'll mention a book which i recently bought in amsterdam: the curious incident of the dog in the night-time - Mark Haddon
nice & interesting book

I saw it in a store a few days ago.. I remember the title anyhoo.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 18:42

Wonderlust
Quote:

Julie wrote:
Now reading Haruki Murakami's Dance Dance Dance. That guy rocks! He creates an atmosphere so easily, you could pretend you're part of the story. Same with with all of his books that i read.
i hear this name rather often, now and then. but i am busy with toni morrison's "beloved". she writes very emotional and the plot is not easy to follow. a very dense and complicated book, i think. i am glad to read sth by her in the end, but it is so exhausting. i hope for my course (starts in april) to provide some insight into it. i actually prefer straightforward books, i think.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 21:20

South
From France
I see.

I dunno what im gonna read next. I have books at home anyhoo so...

Posted on: 2007/2/23 13:19

Siren
From Rotterdam/Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Can you tell me more about Haruki Murakami's stuff?

I don't know what I'm going to read next too... God 2 other Michael Cunningham, 1 Connie Palmen and 3 Virgina Woolf books in stock ...

Posted on: 2007/2/23 21:24

Wonderlust
From Scotland
Several people I've come across who's literary opinions I respect think Murakami's stuff is just brilliant.
Me, I got bored with Norwegian Wood.
It's weird really. For the most part my eyes glaze over when it comes to Asian cinema as a whole and yet, certainly in the past, I've been quite bewitched by some Japanese architecture and Japanese music...

Posted on: 2007/2/24 22:21

South
From France
Norvegian Wood wasn't my favorite. I liked it okay.

My favorite was Sputnik Sweetheart and it's also the first one i read, that may be why.

What i like about him is that he's got a very distinct style which puts you in a certain mood right away. That's what i like most i guess. His books (at least those i've read) always finish in kind of strange way too, you're never sure of what it means, if it really ended the way you think it has. I remembered feeling completely empty at the end of Sputnik Sweetheart and turning the pages, realizing that it was over and starting reading the last few lines over and over again.
I'm not sure it's the kind of books that makes you feel good.. It feels like looking yourself in a mirror for too long. (You know the feeling? Like you watch yourself in the mirror too long and after a while, it gets scary because you're wondering who this person really is..)

I think the stories he's telling don't really matter in a way but for me, it's rather the way he's telling them. And the fact that it's set in Japan emphasizes the feeling of strangeness, i guess. Given that it's a different culture for me, of course..

Posted on: 2007/2/25 17:21

Milky Way
From Third stone from the Sun
Robert Jordan - Winters Heart (Wheel of time series) J.R.R. Tolkein x10

Posted on: 2007/3/2 1:58

Wonderlust
From Aquamarine
I have just started reading "The Brothers Karamazov"

Posted on: 2007/3/2 18:34

Oyster
From Belgium
I reccommend 'Sleep towards heaven' by Amanda Eyre Ward to everyone. It offers a great insight into the psyche of three different women (Franny, Karen, Celia) and is a real page- turner. Have a good read !

Posted on: 2007/3/9 22:20

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
One of the books I'm reading at the moment is Philip Roth's "The Plot Against America" with Charles Lindbergh becoming a fascist US president in the 1940 that doesn't join the alliies against Germany in WW II.
But up to now I'm not convinced, it's a bit lame - maybe it'll get better...

Posted on: 2007/3/12 12:29

Milky Way
From Third stone from the Sun
Bene that sounds extremely interesting to me. I am definetly going to pick that book up. Thanks!

Posted on: 2007/3/12 19:43

Wonderlust
I am halfway thru w/ Schlink's "The Reader".

Posted on: 2007/5/3 0:15

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
Quote:

Matt wrote:

Somehow the Englsih title looses something of it's magic... Oh, and Heidelberg...

Posted on: 2007/5/3 11:46

South
From Groningen, Netherlands
still reading Arnon Grunberg - De joodse messias

Posted on: 2007/5/3 13:08

Wonderlust
Quote:

Bene wrote:
Quote:

Matt wrote:

Somehow the Englsih title looses something of it's magic... Oh, and Heidelberg...
You are very right, Bene.

I am a bit disappointed that the novel 'suddenly' deals with Germany's infamous past. I have not known before that this novel does so. A bit disappointing. But let's see what I say after the reading.

Posted on: 2007/5/3 23:34

Siren
From Oberhausen, Germany
Quote:

Matt wrote:
Quote:

Bene wrote:
Quote:

Matt wrote:

I am a bit disappointed that the novel 'suddenly' deals with Germany's infamous past. I have not known before that this novel does so. A bit disappointing. But let's see what I say after the reading.

I have read this book too. It was ok, interesting how he lets the character got through the events. But now, after i have been reading one of his books for law-students, I'm wandering how much of this book is something of his own experience. And it is kind of strange to see this two different writing-stiles from one person. But i find it very impressing too!

Posted on: 2007/5/4 11:39

Siren
From Rotterdam/Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Quote:

Julie wrote:
Norvegian Wood wasn't my favorite. I liked it okay.

My favorite was Sputnik Sweetheart and it's also the first one i read, that may be why.

What i like about him is that he's got a very distinct style which puts you in a certain mood right away. That's what i like most i guess. His books (at least those i've read) always finish in kind of strange way too, you're never sure of what it means, if it really ended the way you think it has. I remembered feeling completely empty at the end of Sputnik Sweetheart and turning the pages, realizing that it was over and starting reading the last few lines over and over again.
I'm not sure it's the kind of books that makes you feel good.. It feels like looking yourself in a mirror for too long. (You know the feeling? Like you watch yourself in the mirror too long and after a while, it gets scary because you're wondering who this person really is..)

I think the stories he's telling don't really matter in a way but for me, it's rather the way he's telling them. And the fact that it's set in Japan emphasizes the feeling of strangeness, i guess. Given that it's a different culture for me, of course..

Sounds good!

I guess I have to look up some of those titles... Sputnik Sweetheart was your fave, right? Hmmm... Going to look asap!

(even though I still got a million books ready to read hahaha!)

Posted on: 2007/5/7 19:00

Oyster
From Belgium
'Shanghai Baby' by Wei Hui. Feminine and care-free, it feels a little out-dated (it was published in 2000). Still a nice book.

Posted on: 2007/5/7 20:21

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
Quote:

Matt wrote:
Quote:

Bene wrote:
Quote:

Matt wrote:

Oh, I quite liked the novel, both parts, so to say. But unfortunately the copy I bought was a misprint, in the middle some pages started again (they returned, so to say), but the ones that should've been there instead had been lacking - so in the end some part was missing.

I liked his collection of short stories even more: "Liebesfluchten/Love flights" (and there had been no pages missing...).

Posted on: 2007/5/9 13:07

South
From France
@Annika: Yes, Sputnik Sweetheart!

I haven't read much these days, just some Paul Auster (The NY Trilogy) but i had read it already..

Posted on: 2007/5/9 19:18

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Did anyone read the recommendation by Heather Nova, so far: Alexandra Fuller: don't lets go to the dogs tonight? Any comments so far?

I've ordered the book now.

Posted on: 2007/5/9 21:43

South
From France
Not me. I've heard about very few of them, actually..

Posted on: 2007/5/10 16:25

Wonderlust
From Aquamarine
Just finished reading a book that Heather recommended :"Running in the Family"by Michael Ondaatje.
It is a non fictional account about his extended family and childhood in Sri-Lanka and is full of humorous,vivid, colorful and poetic descriptions of life on that tropical island.
It is such an absolute pleasure to read that you feel transported to far-away Ceylon

Posted on: 2007/5/10 20:35

Wonderlust
Quote:

Bene wrote:
Quote:

Matt wrote:
Quote:

Bene wrote:
Quote:

Matt wrote:

Oh, I quite liked the novel, both parts, so to say. But unfortunately the copy I bought was a misprint, in the middle some pages started again (they returned, so to say), but the ones that should've been there instead had been lacking - so in the end some part was missing.

I liked his collection of short stories even more: "Liebesfluchten/Love flights" (and there had been no pages missing...).
i finisthed the novel some days ago. a rewarding read once i got into the historical mood. i like the authors style. maybe i will go for the collection of short stories, but i will read some western short stories before.

what are you reading right now, bene?

i think i will also continue reading vonnegut's "slaughterhouse-five". and re-read bits and pieces of octavia butler's "kindred" for our presentation. guys, in case you have not read sth by butler, go for her. she writes wonderfully: it is easily accessible. so my next of her novels will be "parable of the sower".

Posted on: 2007/5/10 22:51

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
I'm reading Arno Geiger's "Es geht uns gut" (probably the best translation would be "Everything's fine"), a very nice and melancholic book about an Austrian family. And some other one's for my doc. thesis.

Vonnegut's "S5" is one of the best American novels I know - still.

Posted on: 2007/5/14 14:21

Wonderlust
i am still reading vonnegut's masterpiece. i had to read much secondary literature recently, that is why i have not finished it yet.

it is such a shocking, awesome, confusing, finely observed piece of literature. go and read it, it is very slim. wonderful postmodern novel!

Posted on: 2007/5/24 22:39

Wonderlust
Quote:

gerd wrote:
Did anyone read the recommendation by Heather Nova, so far: Alexandra Fuller: don't lets go to the dogs tonight? Any comments so far?

no. have to read other things.. but what is it about?

Posted on: 2007/5/24 22:39

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Matt wrote:
Quote:

gerd wrote:

The German title is: "Unter afrikanischer Sonne. Meine Kindheit in Simbabwe"

http://www.amazon.de/Unter-afrikanisc ... it-Simbabwe/dp/3442458471

Posted on: 2007/5/24 22:42

South
From France
I have to read this topic from the beginning and take notes on which books i wanna read.

Posted on: 2007/5/24 22:49

Wonderlust
i think you have to start with KV's "Slaughterhouse-Five: Or, the Children's Crusade", and then turn to other things listed here, such as "The Reader". Go for them at first, b/c theyre readable, highly relevant to American studies and German history - and they develop rather quickly. You will like them, I guess, tho the approach is different from Mrs Dalloway or so.. (Havent read that, tho.)

What I want to read much now is some literary theory. P Barry's "Beginning Theory" and Culler's "Literary Theory: A Vry Short Intro." are really worthwhile, once youve started working into it. The same holds true for some books on "identity", for example a monograph edited by Kathryn Woodward. Whatever.

Posted on: 2007/5/24 23:22

South
From France
Quote:

Matt wrote:
I guess, tho the approach is different from Mrs Dalloway or so.. (Havent read that, tho.)

Posted on: 2007/5/24 23:48

Wonderlust
i find vonnegut's novel really enriching. i hope i am able to work on it with one of my courses when i am a teacher. it is full of irony, black humor, tragic/sad/funny episodes; and it is highly relevant, alwo with regards to psychological issues, such as depression. here, there is also a trauma/depression due to war experience. theres so much in there.. KV died this year, btw.

KV is a German-American and he has suffered from anti-German slurs at his varsity - and in the war, he was a POW and suffered from German insult/treatment. how ironic is this!

Posted on: 2007/5/24 23:55

Wonderlust
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Quote:

Matt wrote:
Quote:

gerd wrote:

The German title is: "Unter afrikanischer Sonne. Meine Kindheit in Simbabwe"

http://www.amazon.de/Unter-afrikanisc ... it-Simbabwe/dp/3442458471
so any personal comment by yourself?

Posted on: 2007/5/24 23:56

The Jasmine Flower
No. I haven't read that book.

Btw, there is some wrong quoting above. The original question "did anyone read..." was from me.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 7:28

Wonderlust
uh sry i thought it was from gerd.

Posted on: 2007/5/25 12:11

The Jasmine Flower
"Die Würzburger Straßenbahn" (von der Pferdebahn bis 1992).

Posted on: 2007/6/4 12:46

Storm
From Konstanz, Germany
What happened after 1992?

Posted on: 2007/6/4 13:36

The Jasmine Flower
Nothing. The book was printed in 1992.

Posted on: 2007/6/4 13:41

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]