Register now!

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

Re: New Heather Nova Album "Pearl" to be released in spring 2019
HNN Forums Admin
From France
Quote:

gerd wrote:
Quote:

I agree from a fan perspective. I'm fine so if she just want to express it on an album, on the other hand they can talk day and night together directly It must have been something important so for her, otherwise it wouldn't be on the album. As always, we do not know what songs were written else for the album and might never be made public.

... though we are so curious about them.

Posted on: 7/18 2:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Siren
From California
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
What are your favourite ones so far ?

- Rewild me : For the lyrics obviously, and the structure of the song (a la I miss my sky) and finally a proper guitar solo in Heather's song
- All the rivers : For the energy of the song and the lead guitar and Heather's voice
- Some things just come undone : The real rock song of the album, obviously touched by the theme, and because the song stands out from the rest of the album
- After all this time : For the lyrics and the chorus that is very powerful. I liked it acoustic as well but it takes another dimension on the cd.

I like the other ones as well, except the first and last one.
Overall, it's really an excellent album, at par (or close to) 300 days for me (which is one of my favorite)

Posted on: 7/18 7:49

Storm
From close to Antwerp
Unfortunately I still don't like most of the songs... I skip them to hear the next one and before I know, the cd is over Ö It's definitely not Oyster II (I'd call Siren, Oyster II), more like Yasmine or 300 days.

Maybe hearing the songs live changes my mind

Posted on: 7/20 11:49

Siren
From California
Quote:

johandeman wrote:
It's definitely not Oyster II

I agree Pearl is not Oyster II but I wasn't expecting it anyway, and when Heather is hinting it, she can only disappoint people expecting it.
Guess what ? There will never be another Oyster. Because 25 years passed, because Heather has changed, because we have changed.
Whatever quality of the songs Heather can release now, we know her, we know her voice, her melody style, her lyrics tricks... For any artist that has such a long career, there's inevitable loss of what makes the first albums unique for people who loved them at that time : the freshness, the novelty, the energy of youth, the background of 25 years of life put in 10 songs.

When people says they want another Oyster, more than a lyric, a melody, a sound, what they want back is the first emotion they had listening to the songs and Heather for the first time. They want the first kiss sweetness. They want their youth back. And that will never happen.

Posted on: 7/22 0:43

HNN Forums Admin
From France
I agree for the first part of your message : there will never be an Oyster II because Heather Nova has changed, because 25 years have passed, because she's older now (and because, as far as we known, noone abused her like the Island guy did, precisely since the Island guys did it, decades ago, which is good news ).

But I didn't discover Heather with Oyster, but with South. I quickly bought all of her albums, and at first, Oyster wasn't my favourite, at all. Maybe I was too young to appreciate it. Maybe songs like Blue Black, Island or Light Years weren't as radio-friendly for me back then (I was young...) . I'm no Angel and London Rain were more of my taste at that time.

So, for me, another Oyster wouldn't be at all my youth back or the first kiss or anything like this : another Oyster would be an album with lyrics and music as powerful as what Heather expressed in this album.
An album as strong as Oyster is.

But Oyster and Glow Stars are full of hard and intense experiences shared by Heather, with the Island-Sugar guy concerning the dark songs, and full of the enormous relief she felt after that for the lighter ones. Same for Glow Stars, my second favourite album.

My third favourite album is The Way It Feels, written by Heather when she was going through very difficult times of her life. Well, it's quite logical, and many people pointed out that fact, among them, Tolstoy at the beginning of Anna Karenine.

I guess that personally, I find more strength and intensity in songs Heather wrote about very intense and hard times, though I am also very fond of happier songs like Everytime or Make You mine.

I a probably not the only one to think this way, and we can notice that almost everyone on this topic quoted Rewild Me and Some Things Just Come Undone as their favourite songs on Peralr, i-e the least zen songs on the whole album.

Posted on: 7/22 1:08

Siren
From California
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
So, for me, another Oyster wouldn't be at all my youth back or the first kiss or anything like this : another Oyster would be an album with lyrics and music as powerful as what Heather expressed in this album.
An album as strong as Oyster is.

I meant in general, and because most of people discovered Heather with Oyster/Siren. So that 'first kiss' part is in the equation for lot of people, obviously not all. And I'm not saying this is the only element.
Maybe I'm biased because I don't put Oyster as high as many others here, there are songs I don't like on this album, some that I like a lot but if you look objectively aren't exceptional in Heather's work. Some are very powerful because of the theme but would we still be amazed if Heather would have written 3+ songs per album till now about her abuse ?
Some are exceptional because what I said before : The energy of youth, some innocence, the background of her young life.

TWIF is my least favorite album, with the only 'powerful' song being the 'Archeologist' (and it is 'powerful' mainly because of one sentence to me) so I don't really adhere to the legend that Heather has to be unhappy to write good songs.

Posted on: 7/22 1:53

HNN Forums Admin
From France
That's why I wrote "personnally", and "for me", and "my taste".

I notice that I usually prefer dark Heather songs. At some point, I mustn't be the only one, and the fact that Rewild Me and STJCU being among the favourites of almost everyone on the next album is noticeable, but the principle doesn't necessarily apply to the rest of Heather's discography...

I guess the different opinion we hold on oyster can explain a lot, too ; if you don't put Oyster very high, you are probably more attached to it via what you mentioned tonight : memories, youth, etc.

Oyster is still my favourite album, though it isn't linked to anything sentimental for me : I bought the album, it stayed on my shelve for a while, with years I appreciated it more and more, when my tastes grew less mainstream, when I had improved in English, etc. And I guess Oyster tour 2 years ago was the best HN show I attended, to my mind, though clearly (and unfortunately) softened compared to recordings from the real Oyster tour 25 years ago. I think it's the strongest album Heather ever wrote, but well, that's just my opinion.

Posted on: 7/22 2:43

Siren
From California
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
if you don't put Oyster very high, ...
I think it's the strongest album Heather ever wrote

Don't get me wrong. I said I didn't put it as high as some others do. For me it is not 10 miles above all the rest of her work.
It is obviously one of my favorite album (definitely the one I will choose if I had to take one on a desert island) - and yes, it IS the strongest album she released, no doubt about that.
I was just pointing out there's no point to wait the new Oyster. Oyster has a particular place in Heather's career and in the heart of many of the ones who follow her since the 90's and for the different reasons I mentioned.

And obviously it doesn't prevent anyone to dislike or being disappointed with new songs.

Posted on: 7/22 3:40

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Well, it's always a bit risky to tease something like "my new album will be like Oyster-you-very-favourite-one, with similar production, but with songse ven better".
She took the risk (she asked the wind to dance).

I see what she means, though : cello, electric guitar, same producer... but as for songs, they're not as good. Oh, I'm not complaining, i like the sound of the album, I really like some songs, and tDon't Worry What The Experts Say it the only song I dislike, which is few. But I don't think my topten HN songs will contain Pearl songs.

Posted on: 7/22 12:30

The Jasmine Flower

Posted on: 7/24 15:37

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Thank you Bernd !

Posted on: 7/24 17:13

The Jasmine Flower
The current German "Good Times" magazine has some article (?) about Heather. I haven't seen it yet.

https://www.goodtimes-magazin.de/

Posted on: 7/29 20:03

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Is it me, or is there really much more promo for Pearl than for the last albums ?

Posted on: 8/1 0:22

Storm
From close to Antwerp
quote from Rainman "I agree Pearl is not Oyster II but I wasn't expecting it anyway, and when Heather is hinting it, she can only disappoint people expecting it.
Guess what ? There will never be another Oyster. Because 25 years passed, because Heather has changed, because we have changed.
Whatever quality of the songs Heather can release now, we know her, we know her voice, her melody style, her lyrics tricks... For any artist that has such a long career, there's inevitable loss of what makes the first albums unique for people who loved them at that time : the freshness, the novelty, the energy of youth, the background of 25 years of life put in 10 songs.

When people says they want another Oyster, more than a lyric, a melody, a sound, what they want back is the first emotion they had listening to the songs and Heather for the first time. They want the first kiss sweetness. They want their youth back. And that will never happen."

That's so true, I couldn't have said it better. I still remember seeing Heather live the first time, Club Paficic Antwerp, 16/12/1994. I know what the weather was like (cold), what I wore (red jeans, black pullover, black leather jacket) and the gig was 1000x better than what I had expected and it has changed my life ! I must have seen Heather 100x live since then and although it's always 'good' or 'amazing', I never got that feeling of the first time back

Posted on: 8/1 15:23

HNN Forums Admin
From France
The first time I saw Heather live, it was on Redbird tour ; the show was good, but absolutely not the best I saw since then.

Posted on: 8/1 15:54

The Jasmine Flower

Posted on: 8/1 20:58

Siren
From the stars in the sky
How beautiful is this?!👍👍👍

Posted on: 8/1 23:58

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Google trad particularly sucked for this interveiw. Tried to have in translated in French, but it's absolute nonsense.

Posted on: 8/1 23:59

The Jasmine Flower
1) Your brother is a reggae singer. What have you learned from him?
2) You spent your childhood on Bermuda and on the sailboat of your parents and you came alone to New York in your early twenties. How was your first night?
3) You haven't been in school for quite some time. What did you instead?
4) You fans adore your beauty. What is your worst grimace?
5) You sing about abuse and death. Does this make you feel good or does it hurt you?
6) Once you have said, when you sing, everything drops from you, and only the essence remains. How does it look like?
7) One of your songs is called Maybe An Angel. Are you sometimes a devil?
8) Which relationship do you have with your guitar?
9) You have lived in rainy London for a long time. How do the people look like there?
10) And on Bermuda?
11) You do also write poetry. What can music do, what poetry can't?

Posted on: 8/2 7:58

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Danke schŲn !

Posted on: 8/2 11:12

Siren
From California
Quote:

johandeman wrote:
Antwerp, 16/12/1994. I know what the weather was like (cold)

Cold weather in Antwerp in December, I wasn't there but I would have guessed

Posted on: 8/3 0:00

The Jasmine Flower
Radio show including interview with Heather (48 minutes, audio). But to be honest, it is not very interesting.

https://www.c86show.org/e/heather-nova-special-in-conversation/

Posted on: 8/3 9:25

Blow
Nice, positive review in the french music mag "Rock and Folk" this month.
( 3 stars out of 5 )
They said the songs are pretty good, Heather'singing is great, the album is near "Rumours" from Fleetwood Mac and Heather sounds like Jesse Sykes at times.

Good because i can't remember the last Heather album they reviewed before Pearl...it seems it was a long long time ago...

Need some more time to dig in but i'm not really excited about this one, i don't find the songs so great and lof ot them sound boring to me.

Posted on: 8/3 16:33

Siren
From California
Quote:

frenchcandle wrote:
Nice, positive review in the french music mag "Rock and Folk" this month.
( 3 stars out of 5 )

Scary ! I'm relieved they didn't put 5 starts though

Posted on: 8/4 5:56

Wonderlust
Two (at least for me) new, nice pics of Heather from her website.
The one on the bench is similiar to one we've already seen, but now it's in colour (which i wished back then).

Attach file:

jpg  Heather1.jpg (318.82 KB)
550_5d46898f29954.jpg 1200X800 px

jpg  Heather2.jpg (491.87 KB)
550_5d4689a35d6bd.jpg 833X1200 px

Posted on: 8/4 9:32

The Jasmine Flower

Posted on: 8/4 17:15

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Thanks 57Arietis for posting the new photos!
Beautiful! They are new to me as well. I also prefer the color ones, would like also to see the second one in color.

Posted on: 8/4 17:20

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Thanks Bernd for Vincent's Photo. Probably the first photo of her in an swimsuit?

Posted on: 8/4 17:34

The Jasmine Flower
This is an updated and much more detailed article by Vincent about the "making-of Pearl" than the one he wrote in November.

"Working with Heather Nova on her album Pearl: the most incredible creative journey ever"

- Photoshoot
- Graphic Design
- Music
- Music Videos

https://vincentlions.com/working-with-heather-nova/

Very interesting!

Posted on: 8/7 21:51

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Thanks !

The article has a link to Pearl's wikipedia page. On the wikipedia page, Pearl is presented as an kind of Oyster II. I thought about our conversations here.

Posted on: 8/8 1:48

Oyster
Thanks for the link Bernd!

Btw, I haven't made any comments on the album so far and I don't know if I should tbh. Let me just say I have given it about 10 spins now and, well, by and large it kind of washes over me. The performances are great but most of the songs just don't really move in any way and I'm not crazy about the way it was produced. That's not really a proper criticism, I guess, I'm just saying I can't connect with the album and I'm not happy about it, especially following The Way It Feels, which to me is one of her best.

Posted on: 8/9 22:39

Wonderlust
Quote:

4ctmam wrote:

.... by and large it kind of washes over me. The performances are great but most of the songs just don't really move in any way and I'm not crazy about the way it was produced....

I understand what you mean. I see it similar. I guess it will become my least favourite album.

Posted on: 8/10 9:12

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Do you feel it for all of the album, or do you like some songs more than the others ?

Posted on: 8/10 13:49

Wonderlust
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
Do you feel it for all of the album, or do you like some songs more than the others ?

Regarding me, almost the whole album, apart from a few songs.

My least favourite albums used to be Redbird and South, but there are definitely much more songs on them, which I like, than on Pearl.
E.g., Iíve listened to South several times lately (I almost only listen in summer to it, as itís an album which gets me in a kind of easy-going summer mood with most of the songs) and found that I like it a lot and still wonder, why Heather hardly ever plays songs from it, apart from Like lovers do and Talk to me some years ago. She always says, there were too many producers, but she could now play them in a new "dress", the way she likes them to be played.
I donít think Iíll like the Pearl songs better live in autumn. Iíve heard some of them acoustic and then in the album version and that hasnít changed my mind about them.
But I donít know exactly, what it is that makes me feel, that something somehow lacks for me, when I hear Pearl. Itís something I canít put my finger on. Perhaps it adds, that Heather said, the songs were the best she had ever written and set the bar very high with that.

Posted on: 8/11 9:26

Storm
From close to Antwerp
I have to agree with 57Arietis. Pearl is definitely not a second Oyster, despite the same sound on some songs. It's all soft, cheesy, mellow Ö

South might be overproduced but I love most songs on them.

To me Pearl is in the same league as Yasmine Flower, 300 days at sea etc. I hope I will change my mind by listening more often to those songs but I don't Ö

I listen to it, and skip song after song, hoping for a great song but before I know it, the cd is over ...

Posted on: 8/11 9:33

The Jasmine Flower
So there are different opinions. In the meantwhile, I like Pearl a lot, but I needed to listen to the album as a whole first, not to the songs separately. So they have all grown. Nothing to skip at all.

When listening to the Leuven show, the new songs don't feel "new" for me, they fit perfectly into the older songs.

Posted on: 8/11 10:31

Oyster
Quote:

Estellem wrote:

I guess for me it's similar as for 57Arietis. There are a few tracks or bits that I like more than others but there is nothing that really stands out and could compete with the best songs on The Way It Feels, for example. And that's kind of the problem - although I consider myself a fan (having listened to HN's music for 20+years, collected albums and singles and seen several shows), for me there is no album where every song is really great. But a few really strong ones can easily carry an album. I don't hear any on Pearl, unfortunately.
IMO, of course.

Posted on: 8/11 11:44

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Rewild Me is really great I think. I haven't yet understood so why she thinks Pearl is her best album. I really like some rock parts, but need to listen more often to the album.

Posted on: 8/11 23:36

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

gerd wrote:
I haven't yet understood so why she thinks Pearl is her best album.

I haven't heard or read that she thinks Pearl is her "best album". I think she has said it's her "best songwriting". This is maybe a difference.

Posted on: 8/11 23:44

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
ok. maybe i missunderstood.

Posted on: 8/11 23:46

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network