Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: New Heather Nova Album "Pearl" to be released in spring 2019
The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
Has anyone tried to transcribe Heather's words? It's really really hard to listen to when the translator speaking over her and the article translating all her words into German.

I think I cannot help you there, I fear, as I barely understand her original words as well.

Posted on: 7/9 22:48

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Link to the interview audio:

https://ondemand-mp3.dradio.de/file/dr ... 0190627_1608_6a46a3b0.mp3

Really hard to hear her answers over the interpreter.

Posted on: 7/10 5:51

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
This is what google translate spits out:

"On Oyster was Iceland, a song about how a much older man abused me, and last year I heard from a mutual friend that he was dying, so I decided to give him some nice words and got the most incredible excuse from him. "

But the beginning and end are in Heather's own words:

"There was a song on Oyster called Island, it was a song about.... ... and I got the most incredible letter back from him which was a full apology."

The English->German->English translation is basically the opposite meaning!

Posted on: 7/10 6:01

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
This is what google translate spits out:

"On Oyster was Iceland, a song about how a much older man abused me, and last year I heard from a mutual friend that he was dying, so I decided to give him some nice words and got the most incredible excuse from him. "

But the beginning and end are in Heather's own words:

"There was a song on Oyster called Island, it was a song about.... ... and I got the most incredible letter back from him which was a full apology."

The English->German->English translation is basically the opposite meaning!

Or what do you mean? "Excuse" vs "apology"?

Posted on: 7/10 7:32

The Jasmine Flower
I hope Cass, this will help you.
Here, Heather is talking about Over The Fields.

“Then there is the sublime “Over the fields”: A true full circle from “Island” on Oyster: “Last year the man I wrote “Island” about [who had abused me] was dying. When I heard that, I reached out to him for the first time in almost 30 years, to say that I forgave him.

“He wrote me an incredible letter of regret and apology for all the pain and suffering he had caused me. I felt there was a kind of closure. After he died, I wrote “Over the fields”; It’s a song of forgiveness and compassion for a troubled soul that never managed to find its way clear in this life; A hope for a second chance the next time round.”

http://bernews.com/2019/07/heather-nova-releases-new-album-pearl/

Posted on: 7/10 14:45

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Apparently I missed that interview! Thank you, Bernd. Just wanted to know the whole story if she had told it.

What an amazingly brave thing to do to forgive him like that - I can't even imagine, to be honest. I'm glad Heather was able to get a real apology before the end too. Powerful stuff. I quite like Over The Fields - it's been growing on me.

Interesting how the same characters from Oyster and previous work are here in this new album. Throwing Fire At the Sun and See Yourself too.

Posted on: 7/11 1:42

Siren
From California
Quote:

"US Version In A Gatefold Cardboard Sleeve With A Fold Out Booklet."

Ordered mine on Amazon here in US and yes, it's a cardboard sleeve. Received it yesterday. First impression is rather good, much more melodic and interesting than The Way It Feels.

Posted on: 7/11 8:12

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

rainman wrote:
Quote:

"US Version In A Gatefold Cardboard Sleeve With A Fold Out Booklet."

Ordered mine on Amazon here in US and yes, it's a cardboard sleeve. Received it yesterday. First impression is rather good, much more melodic and interesting than The Way It Feels.

Thanks! Is it possible to make scans of the album? Especially of the parts that could differ from the European version? For example the backside with the label information? And maybe of the CD?

Posted on: 7/11 8:16

Siren
From California
Quote:

Thanks! Is it possible to make scans of the album? Especially of the parts that could differ from the European version? For example the backside with the label information? And maybe of the CD?

Sure, i will try to do that

Posted on: 7/11 8:45

The Jasmine Flower
I think Pearl is a really good album. Not a single song to skip. Every song is pretty high standard.

My favourite songs are similar to yours, although I guess you all underrate "Vincent" a bit. It is a very lovely song and probably among my personal top three on the album.

The only weird thing is that when listening to Pearl, I do always think of other female artists. Sometimes I have to think of 90's PJ Harvey or 90's Kristin Hersh, and sometimes Heather sounds or surprises me like 80's Kate Bush. Plus, when Heather sings "sister", I have to think of 80's Annie Lennox. Although I still don't see much connection to Oyster, at least musically, this is a very nice add-on in my opinion. Listening to Pearl make me feel 20-25 years younger.

Posted on: 7/11 10:09

HNN Forums Admin
From France
JC, you're just back and you start criticize the way it feels in your very first post after years...

Posted on: 7/11 11:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Jasmine Flower

Posted on: 7/11 12:36

Wonderlust
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
I dont' know the song Sabine. But I'd like to.

Tricky thing. It’s not really my decision as it was a gift and I didn’t pay lots of money for it. Cannot be shared publicly, of course, as it’s a request by Heather. But although it’s a very personal song, I wouldn’t mind playing it to certain people I know. (But I guess, you wouldn’t be fond of it, Estelle. Lots of C, Am, G and F in it... )
I hope this is understandable.

Posted on: 7/11 14:56

Wonderlust
Quote:
Thanks!
She says in the interview, she had written a lot of songs, 15 of them being really great and she wanted to record them with the band. I wonder if she actually did and is going to release the other 4 (one surely Rose gold) anytime...

Posted on: 7/11 15:00

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
I think Pearl is a really good album. Not a single song to skip. Every song is pretty high standard.

Absolutely high standard. No song to skip for me too. And when I understand all stories behind, I like the songs even more.
I still need to understand the album more. Not just listening to the tunes. I still need to discover the album for me.

Posted on: 7/11 21:22

The Jasmine Flower
Hoooorayy!! I got my Heather postcard* today! The date stamp is from June 3! It took more than five weeks! Now my Merchcowboy order is finally complete!!!

* Stonehole Bay

Posted on: 7/11 21:39

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Hoooorayy!! I got my Heather postcard today! The date stamp is from June 3! It took more than five weeks! Now my Merchcowboy order is finally complete!!!

Well, it is not Merchcowboy who processed this special order.
I think Heather is good in rowing or to canoe, but the distance to Europe simply takes time!

Posted on: 7/11 21:59

Wonderlust
Quote:

gerd wrote:

Absolutely high standard. No song to skip for me too. And when I understand all stories behind, I like the songs even more...

That’s the reason why I don’t understand that you often say you agree to my postings, because we definitely differ in opinion. You like each and every song by Heather and I don’t.

E.g., I get the message of The wounds we bled and what she wants to say with this song (and I agree with her), but nonetheless it’s just an average song to me. And even if I’d understand Don’t worry what the experts say (which I actually don’t really do), I wouldn’t like it better.

Posted on: 7/11 22:48

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

gerd wrote:
This posting was more ment from a productional point of view maybe from a first listen. And the word disappointing might be close to you, but yes maybe I need to listen more often.

In general there is no bad song by Heather at all from wathever album. But for sure some connects more or less.

A Way To Live

Posted on: 7/12 2:12

Siren
From California
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
JC, you're just back and you start criticize the way it feels in your very first post after years...

You should be happy i didn't mention your sex life

Posted on: 7/12 5:20

HNN Forums Admin
From France
You don't know anything about it.

Except the number of kids I have, but that's a thin, thin clue.

Posted on: 7/12 11:49

Siren
From the stars in the sky
So, I come over for Pearl.

What can I say...so much. I love it. For me the best album since Storm, which I liked so much and do still. Storm itself, for me, a masterpiece, a jewel. I can listen to it, all songs connect with my heart.

With Pearl it is nearly the same. Heather sings about so intimate things of her life. She wrap them up in songs, in melodies, gives the pain, the good, the love, the hurt a spark. A light she can see and can go through. I think that is what I love about her.

Like for example in 'Walking Higher' - Heather sings about the loss of her Grandma. It is such an intimate song, I get lost in it. Maybe because it is that I have a special connection to my Granny too. She sings about the loss, the pain so hmm, intensive and real.

On Pearl she reaches me the same. For example 'Some things just come undone' - so passionated, full of fear, uncertainty, to tell her son the parents are not together anymore. The lyrics of that song are pure. And the song, for me, is a storm through Heathers desperate soul. I can feel it ('Should I cry or hide my emotion')...

'Rewild me' catches me. Wow. I cried while listening for the first time. I see my life reflect in this one.

I like the mood of Pearl. The instrumentation. The rocky guitars, the cello.

'After all this time'. A big heart. <3

The songs for Vincent are nice. I am so happy that she's in love. :)

Anyone knows whom about she sings in 'Rewild me' and 'Over the fields'?

I've listened to Pearl this evening in full volume - What a feeling :) Dancing and goosebumps...

I love her.

Posted on: 7/12 21:45

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Quote:

sugarbaby wrote:

Anyone knows whom about she sings in 'Rewild me' and 'Over the fields'?

Rewild me is about herself. Getting back to nature. Also recovering from the divorce. She talks about reading about the rewilding movement of getting back to nature to heal and how that seems so obvious to her.

Over The Fields is about the guy Island is about. She heard he was dying and wrote him a letter to forgive him. Then he wrote back apologizing for everything he had done to her. Scroll up for more details and to read it in her own words.

Posted on: 7/12 22:19

Milky Way
From St. Louis, Missouri (USA)
I finally received my vinyl and CD today from Merchcowboy and now I can finally listen to Pearl . . . so far, I think it's great!

I was also surprised to see that the list of names in the CD booklet of people who contributed to the pre-order campaign is identical to the list of names on the vinyl's inner sleeve. I must have misunderstood something when I placed my order: I had originally wanted to have my name in the CD booklet, but that option was marked "SOLD OUT" when I placed my order. The option to have my name on the vinyl sleeve was not sold out, so I ordered that instead. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the lists were identical and therefore, my name is also included in the CD booklet.

Posted on: 7/13 23:34

The Jasmine Flower
Name in the credits of album - Pearl
Have your name immortalized forever in the "Thanks" section of my album credits!
€54.99

Name in the credits of album + CD signed and dedicated - Pearl
Have your name immortalized forever in the "Thanks" section of my album credits. Includes my new album on CD, signed and dedicated!
€84.99

Name in the credits of album + Double Vinyl signed and dedicated - Pearl
Have your name immortalized forever in the "Thanks" section of my album credits. Includes my new album on Vinyl, signed and dedicated!
€89.99

Posted on: 7/14 7:07

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Good to know it got to someone in the U.S. I still haven't gotten any update that it's gotten to USPS from DHL so I guess it's on a boat somewhere?

Posted on: 7/14 7:17

Milky Way
From St. Louis, Missouri (USA)
Quote:

Bernd wrote:
Name in the credits of album - Pearl
Have your name immortalized forever in the "Thanks" section of my album credits!
€54.99

Name in the credits of album + CD signed and dedicated - Pearl
Have your name immortalized forever in the "Thanks" section of my album credits. Includes my new album on CD, signed and dedicated!
€84.99

Name in the credits of album + Double Vinyl signed and dedicated - Pearl
Have your name immortalized forever in the "Thanks" section of my album credits. Includes my new album on Vinyl, signed and dedicated!
€89.99

The reason I thought that there would be a different list of names in the credits of the vinyl than the CD was because when I was on the website, the:

"Names in the credits of album + CD signed and dedicated"

...was sold out whereas the:

"Names in the credits of album + Double Vinyl signed and dedicated"

...was not sold out. If the list of names is identical, then how could one be sold out and the other not sold out? At the point they decide they have the maximum number of names they are comfortable putting on the credits, I would think both of those options would be "Sold Out" simultaneously. The only way my mind could reconcile the idea that one was sold out and the other was available was that the lists were different for each. I'm delighted I was wrong, but I'm still confused.

Also, does a "Double Vinyl" version exist? I ordered (and received) a single vinyl (w/ name in the credits, signed and dedicated) that was 75.62 euros rather than a double vinyl for 89.99 euros.

Posted on: 7/14 7:50

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Clouseau wrote:
Also, does a "Double Vinyl" version exist?

Ah no, first it was upgraded to double vinyl, later it was downgraded to vinyl again.

Posted on: 7/14 10:42

The Jasmine Flower
Quote:

Cassander wrote:
Good to know it got to someone in the U.S. I still haven't gotten any update that it's gotten to USPS from DHL so I guess it's on a boat somewhere?

We have family near Chicago and each time we send them a letter or a parcel, it needs 3-5 weeks, and we don't know why it takes so long. A few years ago, it was much faster.

The postcard from Bermuda I got last week took also five weeks.

Posted on: 7/14 10:45

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
I feel like the rise of vinyl is making albums shorter again so they fit in one record. I would guess Rose Gold didn't get included because that would get one song over a single vinyl which would be inefficient. I don't know that for a fact but it's got to be a consideration.

Posted on: 7/14 14:43

The Jasmine Flower
From usa
Finally listening to the demos straight through now that I know the album better. Most of them make me really appreciate how well the album was produced, but See Yourself works really well as a demo. Probably would be quite good acoustic.

I think After All This Time works well acoustically as well.

Posted on: 7/16 2:59

Blow
The album is a solid effort, improves with each listen. For me the stand out tracks are Rewild Me, Some Things Just Come Undone and See Yourself. If I had to drop a track After All This Time is the one that makes my finger hover over the next button.

Posted on: 7/16 18:24

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
The words "solid effort" sounds good to me. There are some bigger pearls and some are smaller or very small or invisible yet so far on the album. I'm with you regarding Rewild Me, STJCU and See Yourself. Pearls with 4 stars for my taste and Rewild me 4.5.
I very much like After All This Time, maybe better in the acoustic version, maybe 3.5

With three or four songs I feel not yet connected and therefore dissapointed. It is not a lyrics issue so. I'm sure some songs will appeal more to me when played live.

For me the first songs, The Wounds we Bleed and All the Rivers have just the same sound and flow and besides that Heather's voice is not leading the song and making it interesting is not her style. It is just played and that's it. No highlight that I can remenber. And Just Kids is similar. Those three songs I wouldn't call a Pearl from how it was played, well maybe a tiny one under development.

Posted on: 7/16 22:33

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Your Words is 4 stars for me.

Posted on: 7/16 22:37

HNN Forums Admin
From France
Rewild Me, Some Things Just Come Undone and See Yourself seem to make us all agree.

The song we skipt most often differ a bit more. For me, it's still Don't Worry What The Experts Say. Honestly, I "don't" see the point of this song.

Just like Gerd, I expect some songs to be really cool live. For example, I am eager to hear All The Rivers on tour, while on the ablum, I find it's an okay song, with very fine music, but lyrics a bit too plain in places.

Posted on: 7/16 22:43

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Thanks for the hint. Yes "Don't Worry What The Experts Say" is the fourth song that didn't convince me yet.

Posted on: 7/17 0:40

HNN Forums Admin
From France
About DWWTES, I'd call it a diary song. It's a song that fits to what Heather had to say Vincent some times ago, and I guess it's very classical : a marriage breaking, and psy doctors finding a "logical" explanation to everything, for example his new (at that time) relationship with Heather. It's great that Heather wrote this song to answer him, and having songs like that writtent for him makes him a lucky guy, I' sure. It's very vute to communicate with songs and poetry. But the song, who's a very cute way to communicate, is not art. It's a song that probably had to be written for Heather Frith and Vincent Lions, but I don't see what makes it find a deseved place on Heather Nova album. The music is boring, the lyrics are not original at all, nor poetic.

How I wish it had been replaced by Rose Gold.

Posted on: 7/17 15:39

Siren
From California
I personaly like it and im happy she put it on the album (I don't know Rose Gold).

'Vincent' is the one that sounds more private and should have been kept private as it is (although i dont dislike it)

Posted on: 7/17 20:24

HNN Forums Admin
From France
What are your favourite ones so far ?

Posted on: 7/17 21:28

HNN Forums Admin
From a pink glow star
Quote:

Estellem wrote:
About DWWTES, I'd call it a diary song. It's a song that fits to what Heather had to say Vincent some times ago, and I guess it's very classical : a marriage breaking, and psy doctors finding a "logical" explanation to everything, for example his new (at that time) relationship with Heather. It's great that Heather wrote this song to answer him, and having songs like that writtent for him makes him a lucky guy, I' sure. It's very vute to communicate with songs and poetry. But the song, who's a very cute way to communicate, is not art. It's a song that probably had to be written for Heather Frith and Vincent Lions, but I don't see what makes it find a deseved place on Heather Nova album. The music is boring, the lyrics are not original at all, nor poetic.

How I wish it had been replaced by Rose Gold.

I agree from a fan perspective. I'm fine so if she just want to express it on an album, on the other hand they can talk day and night together directly It must have been something important so for her, otherwise it wouldn't be on the album. As always, we do not know what songs were written else for the album and might never be made public.

Posted on: 7/18 0:36

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

The Heather Nova Network